U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM

47,585 posts, read 36,011,377 times

Advertisements

I agree with the above post -- not many guys aged 23 are ready to become step-fathers. It's not just the mother in this relationship, it's the mother and the child. The age isn't significant but the life-experiences very likely are.

And older guy with fatherhood experience would be a better bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM

391 posts, read 321,924 times
[quote=jljbos;24401863]So...Im a 28 year old female and I have been dating a 23 year old male./quote]

5 years is not a huge age difference; however, at his age that 5 years
can make a significant difference...

Quote:
he said he would like one but he is not ready to be in one yet.
...such as him not being interested in settling with one person just yet.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM

34,249 posts, read 20,495,060 times
Don't waste your time OP!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 1,246,716 times
He's already stated he's "not ready for a relationship yet." I think that's code for, "I like you, not in a long-term relationships" kinda way.

You can stick it out and wait for him, but if your goal doesn't match his, the feeling doesn't seem mutual. It saves much more heartache/headache in the end when you really look at it. Better now than later.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 AM

12,571 posts, read 12,874,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephV55 View Post

5 years is not a huge age difference; however, at his age that 5 years
can make a significant difference...

I feel this way about age differences too. If she were 35 and he were 30 it would be something different altogether.

23 is awfully young (no offense to any 23-year-olds out there). I mean no matter how you slice it...it's young. It's definitely young for considering becoming a father figure to someone else's children.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 AM

658 posts, read 675,197 times
It's still too early to make that decision. Continue to talk for a month tops, then pull back a little, see if he chases. That's the best course of action in my opinion.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 AM

33,696 posts, read 19,517,762 times
This guy isn't ready, but I've seen remarkably mature 25-year olds who did marry women with kids or a kid. But your guy is only 23, and he was clear with you that he's not ready for a committed relationship (he's already in one with you, it just isn't a committed one). So there you go. He might be ready 2-3 years from now, but he's not ready now. So you can spend a couple of years looking for someone who's ready, and if you don't find that someone, and your current guy is available and interested down the road, you could give it another try. Or...not.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,782,494 times
The good thing that I see here is that he is being honest and telling you that he is not ready for a serious relationship and you should respect and understand that. He could of very well misled you but chose not to and was honest in expressing his feelings, he obviously respects and appreciates you. One thing that you could do is to take things slower. He is 23 and might be overwhelmed with so many things that he is just not used to like going out with someone that is slightly older and already has a child.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM

674 posts, read 540,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
Set a time , say 30 days and see if it starts heading towards relationship. Whatever time frame you choose , be sure to not fall in love so you can stick to it.
No, don't do this. It's setting ultimatums for yourself and for him. It won't end well with this.

I would say try to maintain some flexibility, but don't set your heart on him.

If he's not ready for a relationship, you can spend time with him if you enjoy it but set boundaries that you don't want to take it too far if you're not comfortable. I would also keep your options open and date other men if you have the opportunity to do so. You've already had the exclusivity discussion and he made himself clear where he stands so there should be no confusion on your end, you are free to do what you please.

If you like him and want to keep him around or on the backburner in case he changes his mind then feel free to do so. If it's a deal breaker for you and don't want to see him unless it's to work toward a relationship then that's your choice as well.

Do what makes you happy.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 PM

350 posts, read 281,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljbos View Post
So...Im a 28 year old female and I have been dating a 23 year old male. We get along great, have a lit of fun together, no complaints. We have been seeing each other steadily for about six weeks. This whole thing is really very strange to me because I have never ever dated anyone younger than me. I also have kids, he does not. I am just sort of wondering if I should continue seeing him because Im not sure if this is going to lead into a relationship, because ultimately that is what I want. We did talk about this and he said he would like one but he is not ready to be in one yet. So should I keep seeing him and hoping he will reach that point or try to give my time dating to someone else who might actually be ready for a relationship? I told him that I wasn't asking him to be in one with me at this exact point, but I wanted to know if that was his goal in dating me.
Either you want a relationship or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships