Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Christ almighty. You make it sound like getting a divorce is just an ill-conceived whim that can be managed in one afternoon. Perhaps you are confusing it with marriage...

The process of divorce takes more than a year for most couples. Plenty of time for soul searching and changing your mind (as attorneys methodically pick your pocket again and again). But few people do.
That just reminded me of the movie, "Enchanted". McDreamy (Patrick Dempsey) was a divorce lawyer and he was so close to having a couple sign their divorce papers and Giselle (Amy Adams) shows up at his office and says some sappy stuff, the couple ends up NOT divorcing and realized that they still loved each other (that's the Cliff Notes version lol) I know 2 couples who divorced and ended up getting back together and remarried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:44 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
That's exactly right At least for men it is. Ladies.- THINK. that is not bad advice . Think think think and think again!
Interestingly, men remarry more often and more quickly after divorce.

Divorced women report greater happiness and contentment than divorced men.

Divorce makes women happier than men | Society | guardian.co.uk

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:

True. Divorce also makes men richer than women.

Men become richer after divorce | Life and style | The Observer

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I disagree with your advice herewith :

1. Sometimes a divorce is completely justifiable and necessary such as in an extra marital affair . It is at least an option when trust has been so incredibly shattered thru such betrayal. Seperation may be in order to work on the marriage following violence, assault, great disrespect, etc....to avoid divorce and restore the marriage thru accompanying professional Counsel.

2. Cheating is NEVER a good idea...not even to see 'if' the grass is greener on the other side. Professional Counselling is the correct avenue to take when a marriage breaks down and not the genitals of an Outsider. Cheating only adds to the problem and almost always brings emotional devastation to completely innocent people like children and friends.

3. People cheat for a variety of reasons ; there is the spontaneous Cheating Spouse, the Spouse who is away from the family like on a business trip who is enticed and thinks no one will ever know , and Spouses who are not getting their 5 major needs met emotionally and sexually which sets them up for an extra marital affair should the conditions be favorable and present themself .
If only I could rep you 1000 times!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 AM

900 posts, read 1,702,256 times
Quote:

UK , I am American. And some divorces ARE quick. No children simplifies a lot. Though I do appreciate your responses.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
If only I could rep you 1000 times!
Maybe all this "right answer" politicly correct stuff works for you 2 but I have not often been rewarded for.doing things " right" with men.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. My SIL's ex-husband divorced her (left her for another woman but it's a really long story). As soon as their divorce was finalized, he married the new woman within a month. They were married less than 5 yrs and guess what? He left HER for another woman. Suprisingly, they're still married. He must be really talented because his personality is least to be desired but who knows how he acted with other woman.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
Maybe all this "right answer" politicly correct stuff works for you 2 but I have not often been rewarded for.doing things " right" with men.
I'm sorry, but if you think cheating is "right" and you advocate it then I can see why there's been no reward. No one seems to be agreeing with you here so it must be working for more than 2 people

Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm sorry, but if you think cheating is "right" and you advocate it then I can see why there's been no reward. No one seems to be agreeing with you here so it must be working for more than 2 people
Im sure it works.for many and that is why it is the textbook answer. I cheated (two timed) once , not on my husband. And that time I was not hurt , I was very "light" When Ive been unselfish , Ive gotten screwed by selfish , immoral people. My main point is , especially women , people should think 1000x before divorcing. Doesn't everyone agree with that?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
I've seen divorces be justified, but more than half of my small sample size of 9 that I've witnessed were taken far FAR too lightly. A bad day or week or month and one of the spouses is calling for divorce. Almost like they were looking for an excuse to get out. This reflects poorly on the person calling for divorce since it signals that they are either terrible at choosing people or they don't have the dedication that it takes to commit to one person for their lifetime. It could also mean that each spouse isn't entirely present in the relationship. This seems to happen a lot. Both spouses only invest enough into the relationship to keep the peace when the kids are around. Months and years go by where each spouse isn't particularly interested in the other and the relationship deteriorates. They say "we're too busy" or "we grew apart" or some other nonsense.

Each and every divorce caused an immense amount of pain or damage to the divorcees and the family around them. Every once in a while the divorce is justified, but I think that generally marital problems arise from a lack of effort. I'll be damned if I put my one-day family through the same pain that I have both experienced and witnessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships