Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM

38 posts, read 84,928 times

Advertisements

I just created an online dating profile on a popular (paid) website. I didn't mind paying for the service, because I'm hoping that the quality of people on the site will be better than on the free sites.

So far, I haven't received any emails, but I have received a series of winks. I am shocked that I'm taking this so serious, but I find myself sifting through all of the information on my potential matches profiles.

I am wondering if I should list my income? I make 90K/year. This is not an astronomical amount of money for a person in their early 30's, but it may be problematic for some guys. I guess I don't want to come across as a professional woman who is deeply committed to her career. Truth be told, I like my career, but it's not the most important thing. Also, I decided not to list an income range for my potential match. Of course I want him to make around the same amount or more than I do, but I don't want to be too aggressive, by making it seem like this is a major deal-breaker.

Another possible point of contention is smoking and drinking. I do not drink or smoke and I mentioned that I'd prefer the same with my match. I am now however thinking that perhaps I should revise my statement to say that social drinking is ok, since many professional men tend to enjoy going to sports bar.

Am I overthinking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,700,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitytoCity2021 View Post
I just created an online dating profile on a popular (paid) website. I didn't mind paying for the service, because I'm hoping that the quality of people on the site will be better than on the free sites.

So far, I haven't received any emails, but I have received a series of winks. I am shocked that I'm taking this so serious, but I find myself sifting through all of the information on my potential matches profiles.

I am wondering if I should list my income? I make 90K/year. This is not an astronomical amount of money for a person in their early 30's, but it may be problematic for some guys. I guess I don't want to come across as a professional woman who is deeply committed to her career. Truth be told, I like my career, but it's not the most important thing. Also, I decided not to list an income range for my potential match. Of course I want him to make around the same amount or more than I do, but I don't want to be too aggressive, by making it seem like this is a major deal-breaker.

Another possible point of contention is smoking and drinking. I do not drink or smoke and I mentioned that I'd prefer the same with my match. I am now however thinking that perhaps I should revise my statement to say that social drinking is ok, since many professional men tend to enjoy going to sports bar.

Am I overthinking this?
OH, God, I smell another gold diggers thread, brewing.

edit: when you said "problematic for some guys" I thought you meant guys like yourself with similar income, etc. nvm.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 05-23-2012 at 08:38 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM

44 posts, read 46,404 times
I am also on dating site but I prefer the free ones. Those guys I met there who had experienced paid sites says there is NO difference at all.

It really is just a matter of weeding out the creepers. And I happen to know how. Needless to say, I am happy that my dating life is pretty busy. Made me regret actually why I only did it recently.

As to what to put in your profile. Just be true to yourself. I mean why settle? My profile actually too brutally frank and some guys like it, some guys don't and that's EXACTLY how I want it. Easier to weed out those who will just waste your time.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM

38 posts, read 84,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapro View Post
I am also on dating site but I prefer the free ones. Those guys I met there who had experienced paid sites says there is NO difference at all.

It really is just a matter of weeding out the creepers. And I happen to know how. Needless to say, I am happy that my dating life is pretty busy. Made me regret actually why I only did it recently.
I prefer the paid sites, but you're right, it's all about being able to weed out the creepers. I checked my email again and I have a few messages, but I am not really into any of the guys. I find it interesting that I've received an equal number of emails from both, black and white men.

I'm a black woman and very much open to finding a guy who meshes well with me. Color is unimportant, but after a while it can become a bit time consuming to block people based on a lack of shared interest and/or physical attraction.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 PM

102,066 posts, read 107,021,171 times
Quote:

Am I overthinking this?
These are good questions. Online dating questionnaires lend themselves to overthinking. I would leave out your income. Many men do on dating sites, so it's fair for you to do. I would leave in that you don't smoke or drink. That'll increase your chances of finding a like-minded person. I put that I don't smoke or drink, and I don't give it a second thought. If that turns some guys off, so much the better. It's part of the weeding-out process. Otherwise you could end up wasting your time dealing with guys who aren't right for you.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 PM

733 posts, read 1,660,035 times
For online profile, the most important thing is your picture. Is it eye catching enough? Can people see your face clearly? The next important matter is your personal statement. You don't have to mention that you make 90k a year, but do mention in your statement that you are career driven and financially independent (and mention your job title if it's impressive). Make sure you attract the right kind of people by sound intelligent and witty in your statement.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM

44 posts, read 46,404 times
You are limiting yourself right away without even shall I say, testing the waters. Matter of fact, ALL those guys I agreed to meet did not appeal to me at all. LOL. But, at my age, I also overcome the vanity phase. What matters to me more is the personality.

And as long as I know he is a true blue good, decent guy. I have been going out with this guy I met on the dating site for 7 weeks now. He is not shall I say my type, but so far he has not displayed a creep factor and I can see he is a good guy, so far.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,635,704 times
Definitely leave your income off, as there is no positive to listing it. Let it be known that you are self-sufficient, and leave it at that.

I also agree you should leave out that drinking part, and that you are better off accepting social drinking. Saying that you want a non drinker will be a turn off a great many guys.

These are probably reasons why you aren't getting many messages. Being in your early 30s, it is time to loosen up your standards a bit. Resist the urge to fight me on that because I know what is around the corner if you do.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 PM

38 posts, read 90,606 times
imo i dont think anything that is listed on the profile of dating websites is very useful. only certain preferences such as smoker/nonsmoker, and sexual preferences.

imo u can't really know if you will have a connection with someone until you meet, it doesn't matter what is written on their profile. probably the most important is if you are sexually compatible and physically attracted to one another.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 PM

674 posts, read 1,158,551 times
Quote:
I prefer the paid sites, but you're right, it's all about being able to weed out the creepers. I checked my email again and I have a few messages, but I am not really into any of the guys.
How do you know you're not into them? Have you met any of them yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships