Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,274 times

Advertisements

I met a guy online a few months ago, who said he is separated and that the divorce is under way. I haven't done anything sexual with him and refuse to until I see signed divorced papers. We've only met once because he lives across the country right now, but moves to my area in a few days. He doesn't know, but I check his wife's FB page occasionally (I can only see her profile picture) because I honestly have no way of knowing whether or not they're actually divorcing and I have no interest in being involved with a married man. A few days ago, I saw that her profile picture shows her in a garden with their dog. He posted a picture of himself in that same garden with their dog a few days ago too. So they obviously spend time together. How do I know if they're actually still together or if they're trying for an amicable divorce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I don't understand how someone can be mid-divorce and on a dating site. I know there are certain rare circumstances where this could happen... in a healthy manner, but in general - I don't get it.

And, how does the issue of sex even come up with a man you've only met once?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 PM

My long-time friend had an amicable split with his wife and both moved on during the separation. They've since divorced and remain friendly. They married too young and realized it several years into the marriage. I'm not sure, but maybe this is the same situation with the guy I'm talking to.

At the end of our date, he tried to kiss me. My own personal rule to protect myself is not to do anything with him until I see divorce papers, but I haven't said that to him. We talked a lot over email, Facebook, etc. before meeting and still continue. We both seem interested in pursuing it once he's closer, but not knowing where he stands with his wife makes me hesitant to even bother.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,034 times
Oh Katy, this sounds sketchy.....

You can sometimes find records online - depending on the county. You can see the date filed and by whom.

To answer your question about spending time with my ex-husband during our divorce. No, I would not have spent time with him. He was held without bond after he tried to kill me.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 PM

Thank you, Dragonfly. I might see if I can find any divorce records. I appreciate that. And I'm very sorry about your husband, but I'm glad you're okay.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
During my divorce and post divorce I didn't speak one work to my ex wife.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,034 times
Thanks Katy. What does he say when you ask about the progress of his divorce?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 AM

He said they've been separated for about a year and that it's only a matter of time of until the divorce is final. They were together for 7 years, married for two, and that it just "wasn't a good fit." No more specifics. I don't usually ask too much about it, but he told me right away that he was separated. I don't know, though.

We've chatted online late into the night. We email a lot and sometimes chat online during the day. But when we met, he didn't give me his phone number and continued to contact me through email that day. On the other hand, I didn't have my ex-boyfriend's number until our 3rd date and we were together 2.5 years. We worked together, so I saw him all the time anyway.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't understand how someone can be mid-divorce and on a dating site. I know there are certain rare circumstances where this could happen... in a healthy manner, but in general - I don't get it.

And, how does the issue of sex even come up with a man you've only met once?
Some divorces can take years to be finalized, depending upon the circumstances.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:53 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Some divorces can take years to be finalized, depending upon the circumstances.
I suppose you're right... I have next to 0 experience with divorces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships