Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

RCM, my husband is also cooking challenged. He doesn't set things on fire, but everything he makes tastes horrible. I've solved this problem by cooking enough food on Sundays to last the whole week. Then all we have to do is nuke the pre-made food in the microwave during the week.

Another possibility: I've tried to teach both of my kids how to cook and at this point they both do a better job than my DH.

I'm sure one of these suggestions will take care of the problem without hurting your DW's feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,480 times
Back since I first met the woman Im now with, one thing that has impressed me has been her wonderful cooking ability. But, I cannot tell you the times she has left one or more burners on when she is finished cooking. What I do is just always be sure to check the stove before we leave, or go to bed. I just turn off whatever she left on. I pointed it out to her in a nice way, but it did'nt really help much. Im quite sure though, there are probably some little quibbles and quirks about me, that bug her too. So, I just turn off the stove, and all is well,(usually). My advice is that you try to see some humor in all this, and focus on her other great qualities, since cooking does'nt seem to be her thing. Good luck to you both.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 PM

95 posts, read 304,525 times
Question ????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayInSomewhere View Post
Oh wow...this sorta sounds like me. LOL. I have actually melted a crock pot. "kitchen challenged".
I would love to hear the story on this

Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
This is indeed humorous (mainly because you have a wonderful attitude about it), but the fire risk would scare the hell out of me.

My first thought was Sunnydee's suggestion. Maybe the two of you could take time on the weekends and prepare a week's worth of meals together. Cooking together is fun, she might learn something from you, and during the week she just needs to reheat the meals.

There are also places cropping up that prepare entire meals for you to take home. It might be expensive, but probably less expensive than a house fire.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:23 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times
I've read through the posts and would love to hear the others stories in more detail too, some great ideas here also, I think I will try and cook up enough meals on Sunday or Monday to get through the week, that makes alot of sence and I have a chest freezer big enough to hold that and more. I can relate to having to turn off the burners or making sure she turns on the right burners if i'm there, i've found the oven still on after a day before or a pot holder will suddenly burst into flames with a pot on a burner that is'nt on so I do check often.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:55 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Whatever you do, just be gentle. I am awful in the kitchen so I can empathize with your wife. I can't say I've nearly burned the house down (*knock on wood*) but I have been known to make less than stellar meals.

When my husband was 7, his house burned down b'c Mom was distracted by little sister wanting attention so leaving the stove unattended is a very dangerous risk she is taking. Maybe you guys can talk about it ... be honest with her but don't **** her off. It's not about her cooking but rather kitchen safety 101. Bringing stuff like this up to a seasoned adult may sound condescending and I don't know your wife so hope she takes it well.

Another idea is maybe you two can take a cooking class together and ask the chef to mention leaving the stove unattended. That way a third, objecive party can bring it up without your wife having to be defensive (if she's the type to get defensive). Then, when you two get home, you can bring up, "Hey, the Chef made a good point about so and so ... what'd you think?"

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I lied..or I just heard wrong the price is higher but here is a link to the stovetop firestop. I tried to check Lowe's but DSL is running slooooowwww tonight. Sorry.
WilliamsPyro (broken link)

Old 09-22-2007, 06:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
She is a lucky woman.. My husband and I use to get into arguments when we would get lost going to a new place or a friend's house. Finally, I just said 'Look, let's just plan on getting lost so if we get there on time, we will consider ourselves lucky'
Never had another argument on being late or getting lost.

My husband once was fixing breakfast for his DIL and fried her an egg for 3 minutes each side. He remembered the 3 minute egg and thought it applied to frying eggs. Needless to say you could have used it for a hocky puck

I can tell you those are the moments you remember because you could fight, get angry or just laugh and we chose to laugh..

Last edited by Keeper; 09-22-2007 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Everyone is so wonderful here, I would cook every night but I get home about 2 hours later than she does so I only cook on my days off. While I was out getting a filter last night I had some roast beef and cheeses sliced up and picked up some breads so it should be a bit more uneventful.
Thanks everyone!
Heres another option If you dont want to spend your weekend cooking or do the premade dinner route.
The two of you can still cook every night. Or she can cook and you can be on the sidelines out of sight makin sure she doesnt burn down yous house.

When we were first married and things were hectic I always cooked the next nights dinner the night before. When you come home you can relax instead of running around like a crazy person trying to find something to fix for dinner. Dinners fixed and all you have to do is nuke it.

Then after you eat and relax a little you make dinner for tomorrow. Since theres no big rush to get it on the table you can make things that take longer to cook like roasts and chilli. and meat loaf etc

This way your wife could still cook and youd be there just n case. And you could tell her its so she doesnt have to rush home and cook.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:23 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I felt pretty safe tonight, we had salad no fire, no smoke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships