U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM
 
4,333 posts, read 5,981,234 times
Reputation: 1622

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I think That's how a lot of people psych themselves out in terms of approaching potential mates with this logic.

"Hes too handsome/Rich to not have a GF or Wife"

"she's too attractive to not have a BF or Husband"

Etc
Exactly. That is how players succeed in getting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 PM
 
4,837 posts, read 7,206,070 times
Reputation: 2964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Freak View Post
Yes the good-looking women are all taken or just never interested in dating me.
They will certainly claim that they are taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 11:44 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 8,872,653 times
Reputation: 7469
Well. On the internet all the 'good ones' and 'non cheaters' like to come out of the woodwork and say 'there's so many of us' etc. but funny how never meet these people IRL.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 05-29-2012 at 11:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 11:57 PM
 
479 posts, read 662,602 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, I have been on the dating scene after a bit of a break up. All I can say is wow... It seems like the dating scene is in the toilet these days, or maybe it's just me. One thing I've noticed... Women are very particular about what you do for work, as well as how educated you are. Being just a HS grad and a skilled tradesmen, I feel like women look down on me, even though I make decent money and have no problem supporting myself. Certainly I am not rich, but I'm debt free and always saving.

And when it comes to the women I meet, I just feel I am not meeting the right ones. I'm the type that enjoys a quiet walk in the park, or a day out riding bikes. I enjoy being active. What I find is I am meeting women who are more interested in going out every other night, staying out late, etc. I'm 25, I got that outta my blood when I turned 21. There is no life or fun in that anymore.

Sometimes, I do meet women who have their crap together, have goals and ambitions, even good careers. What I find is that, for one reason or another, they would rather be friends than anything more. I'm kind of at a loss. Seems like I am just not up to snuff for the women I would like to be dating. Even still, the ones who have things together seem to be taken off the market in short order.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. I'd just like to measure my experiences with others. I'm finding women are much more particular these days, and the options are running a bit slim. I would be interested to hear what others have to say, and any advice regarding this dilemma.
Hide your wallet, and count your blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM
 
3,592 posts, read 4,165,636 times
Reputation: 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, I have been on the dating scene after a bit of a break up. All I can say is wow... It seems like the dating scene is in the toilet these days, or maybe it's just me. One thing I've noticed... Women are very particular about what you do for work, as well as how educated you are. Being just a HS grad and a skilled tradesmen, I feel like women look down on me, even though I make decent money and have no problem supporting myself. Certainly I am not rich, but I'm debt free and always saving.

And when it comes to the women I meet, I just feel I am not meeting the right ones. I'm the type that enjoys a quiet walk in the park, or a day out riding bikes. I enjoy being active. What I find is I am meeting women who are more interested in going out every other night, staying out late, etc. I'm 25, I got that outta my blood when I turned 21. There is no life or fun in that anymore.

Sometimes, I do meet women who have their crap together, have goals and ambitions, even good careers. What I find is that, for one reason or another, they would rather be friends than anything more. I'm kind of at a loss. Seems like I am just not up to snuff for the women I would like to be dating. Even still, the ones who have things together seem to be taken off the market in short order.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. I'd just like to measure my experiences with others. I'm finding women are much more particular these days, and the options are running a bit slim. I would be interested to hear what others have to say, and any advice regarding this dilemma.
I'm not ready to say there aren't any good men left. I will say there are "good men" around but they have ex wife issues, child support issues, and needy family issues and all that will distract them from dating a good woman. And the bad news for them is, women are not sitting around waiting for weeks or months in hopes that the man will indicate to them in some way they have decided to include them in their life. So men who are profoundly unable or unwilling to "handle their business" and get some balance into their lives are missing out, BIG time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 8,300,161 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If someone isn't interested in you because you're a cashier, that just means that person isn't right for you.
Im just taking it a step further, if someone is interested in me based on what I do, they arent right for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't see the point in trying to hide your job or getting offended if someone asks about it.
"Hiding" has nothing to do with it. I could care less about my job and have a very non chalant attitude about. I really could care less if a casual acquaintance, my family, or a complete stranger knows what I do. I do care if a potential gold digger takes interest in my profession though who is judging me on what I can give them financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
It's no different than being judged by any of the other millions of things that people judge you for and then decide whether they're interested in dating you.
If they want to judge my character or personality, thats fine. Those are compatibility things. However judging my income or profession, thats a gold digger thing that has nothing to do with me, and Id have no part of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
At least your job is something that you have control over and if you're not happy with your professional achievements, you can do something about it.
1. I would submit that you have very little control over your "personal achievements"

2. I also want to point out that I could care less about professional achievements. They dont amount to anything, nor do they define me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM
 
5,485 posts, read 5,549,893 times
Reputation: 5793
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Funny, I moved from Michigan, where I had no problem meeting decent women. Heck, last time I went back, I had women approaching me! Here around Chicago, forget about it. Yet, I always hear women complaining about the shortage of good men in this city!
Welcome to chitown, bud. Competition can be a little fierce, but here is no shortage of beautiful women in this city. In fact, just a couple of years ago, chicago was found to be the easiest city in the entire world to get laid in!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
 
5,485 posts, read 5,549,893 times
Reputation: 5793
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I'm not ready to say there aren't any good men left. I will say there are "good men" around but they have ex wife issues, child support issues, and needy family issues and all that will distract them from dating a good woman. And the bad news for them is, women are not sitting around waiting for weeks or months in hopes that the man will indicate to them in some way they have decided to include them in their life. So men who are profoundly unable or unwilling to "handle their business" and get some balance into their lives are missing out, BIG time.
The problem here is, that most women equate a good man with someone already taken or someone who already is sleeping with several different women. Guys who have been single, could be james fricken bond and still get no play. Its this stupid notion of "well, those other women want him, so i want him too" or "well, he's been single for awhile so there must be something worng with him". Guys who got married or engaged will echo this, as they have received 100 times more attention from the opposite sex when they put on that wedding band. True story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
19,372 posts, read 20,165,774 times
Reputation: 38461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If they want to judge my character or personality, thats fine. Those are compatibility things. However judging my income or profession, thats a gold digger thing that has nothing to do with me, and Id have no part of that.
Where do you draw the line, though? Do you not tell people where you went to school or where you live, because they may make judgements from that? May as well wear a burqa everywhere so no one can make assumptions from your appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 8,300,161 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Where do you draw the line, though? Do you not tell people where you went to school or where you live, because they may make judgements from that? May as well wear a burqa everywhere so no one can make assumptions from your appearance.
I draw the line at things that are financial or status based. That would weed out the gold diggers and power whores.

I figure that simply looking at me would be enough to scare away people who think Im unattractive and are superficial enough to use that as knee jerk judgement, so, actually, being judged on my appearence is good in a way, because it saves me from having to even bother with them in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top