Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Some of the people you mentioned are really just egomaniacs looking to extend their brand. I don't see people like Tom Brady or Gisele Bundchen as representative of the average American who has achieved some success.
Yeah, I cant say Tom Brady or Giselle Bunchen or even Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are authentic power couples...it seems like all too convenient marketing to me...but Giselle makes way more than Tom anyway so I guess she would be his benefactor in that relationship.

Last edited by soletaire; 05-31-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Hey, I didnt say it. From what I could tell, the whole theme of this thread was that being in a relationship automatically catapults a mediocre spouse to idol status. But when applied to the real world we see that the true power couple didnt actually become a couple until both had already achieved power. This power may be, and usually is, achieved independently before it is achieved in a partnership (Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie, Will Smith/Jada Pinkett, Dwayne Wade/Gabrielle Union, Giselle Bunchion/Tom Brady, Stedman/Oprah, Bill Gates/Melinda Gates etc.)

If it is achieved within the marriage, then by default, they are rarely actually a power couple, but rather a brokering pair, in which one person has very minimal resources as the other person supports their pipe dream using what resources they have.
Where do you come up with this? A brokering pair? One person has "minimal resources" and the other support their "pipe dream?" My SO and I had equal resources/education when we got married and started a business together that we both defined. Our equal partnership/responsibilities contributed greatly towards our success.

We are not an anomaly. There are power couples like this all over middle America - not just in the Hollywood gossip columns. Many of the successful business owners I know are long-term, self-made, husband-wife teams where each contributes equally. This may be one of the most common types of successful business ownership there is.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,081,989 times
Perhaps, despite the man-hater propaganda and sterotypes, many men prefer stable, monogomous relationships over the freewheeling life of a bachelor.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just saying that the argument that relationships suck up your personal free time is wack!
What? It does. You say yourself that kids need a lot of time. If you don't want to invest that time and need that for yourself why have a kid who needs that time?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:08 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
True.

And:
Sowing the wild oats in college and then upon or near graduation, selecting an excellent wife specimen could have saved him from what is described here. Not too many people may look at it this way, but IMO, this is one those occasions where being wealthy can make a person vulnerable.
Yes. And it may sound sweet and romantic for a billionaire to get married to a peasant, which is common, but for a young guy? If he just gets exposed a bit more to the world, mature in different areas in life through the years, etc. he will think of other things that may have not cross his mind when he was younger and might help in making better decisions.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Of course it can love you back. Thats why I said: its all in how you view your relationships. If one doesnt think his/her passion delivers any kind of love to them, then they are with a passion that isnt completely fulfilling.

As you said earlier though, we have differing meanings of love, so Ill agree to disagree on this point.
you say agree/disagree like you actually have a viewpoint...objects cannot love you back..your passion cannot love you back..can you explain with an example how an object can you love you back? Keep in mind that if you allow the love of your video game/passion into your heart, you leave yourself vulnerable to heartache..and potentially your passion might cheat on you..

Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Where do you come up with this? A brokering pair? One person has "minimal resources" and the other support their "pipe dream?" My SO and I had equal resources/education when we got married and started a business together that we both defined. Our equal partnership/responsibilities contributed greatly towards our success.

We are not an anomaly. There are power couples like this all over middle America - not just in the Hollywood gossip columns. Many of the successful business owners I know are long-term, self-made, husband-wife teams where each contributes equally. This may be one of the most common types of successful business ownership there is.

Dang, you took it kind of personal didnt you?...No one is talking about you or your relationship. You asked questions about power couples and I was just answering your questions using the power couples that I do know of. Why are you internalizing answers to questions that YOU asked of me about power couples?

I dont know you or your spouse so I cant make an informed opinion of your relationship. If you wanted my opinion or validation of the specific circumstances of your relationship with your spouse, then ask for it next time. I thought you were talking about power couples in general.

And a brokering pair just means that they are a pair who have negotiated an arrangement between one another. Minimal resources, means that at some point, if one person is acting as a benefactor to the other, then at some point, one partner is compensating for whatever the other partner is deficient in. I cant put it anymore simply than that.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
That is why any good partnership is made up of two individual happening people.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
you say agree/disagree like you actually have a viewpoint...objects cannot love you back..your passion cannot love you back..can you explain with an example how an object can you love you back? Keep in mind that if you allow the love of your video game/passion into your heart, you leave yourself vulnerable to heartache..and potentially your passion might cheat on you..
And you say you cant find love in a hobby as if you dont love posting ignorant tripe. Here's a memo, the thread has moved on. I said I agree to disagree because I had made the point that your passion and your hobby can love you while others were saying that it cannot. This was a point on which we are unable to reach a point of agreement.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
There is a psychological term for this: objectophilia or object sexuality. Object sexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a pronounced emotional and often romantic desire towards developing significant relationships with particular inanimate objects. Those individuals with this expressed preference may feel strong feelings of attraction, love, and commitment to certain items or structures of their fixation. For some, sexual or even close emotional relationships with humans are incomprehensible.

Animism refers to those who believe an object has a soul/feelings and can love them back/reciprocate the love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships