Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,981,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The article was about how to make yourself into a woman that guys would like. It mentioned things like:
--Find out what sports team he likes, and do research on them. Then watch games with him, and drop lines like "that play reminds me of what so-and-so did in the '96 playoffs..."
--Have a big TV and lots of add-ons like surround sound, blu-ray player, HD, etc. If a guys comes into your apartment and sees an old-fashioned TV and a VCR, he's going to leave as soon as possible.
--Drink beer, even if you hate it. Get to know about all kinds of beer. Guys like down-to-earth girls, not the ones who order complicated fancy mixed drinks, or wine which they know nothing about.
Lol, sounds more like an, "How to make yourself into a douchebag".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,020,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Excellent points, U S

This reminds me of a terrible article I read in women's magazine at the doctor's office. I generally don't like "Cosmo" and the other magazines like it, but there was nothing else to read.

The article was about how to make yourself into a woman that guys would like. It mentioned things like:
--Find out what sports team he likes, and do research on them. Then watch games with him, and drop lines like "that play reminds me of what so-and-so did in the '96 playoffs..."
--Have a big TV and lots of add-ons like surround sound, blu-ray player, HD, etc. If a guys comes into your apartment and sees an old-fashioned TV and a VCR, he's going to leave as soon as possible.
--Drink beer, even if you hate it. Get to know about all kinds of beer. Guys like down-to-earth girls, not the ones who order complicated fancy mixed drinks, or wine which they know nothing about.

Ugh, if I hadn't been sick before going to the doctor's office, I was certainly sick after reading that!

You can't be a blank canvas with the plan to paint yourself the way some other person would like. Paint your own painting, and people who like it will be drawn to it.
One thing to note...

Once you hook that super handsome guy by drinking beer, watching sports, and laughing at crude jokes, and get the ring around your finger...

...you can revert back to watching Housewives of Orange County, yelling at him when he gets drunk and goes out to watch football, and complain about how he's such a vulgar slob.

One of my buddies wives used to drink beer with us when they were dating. Now that they're married, she doesn't touch the stuff and yells at him whenever he gets drunk.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,006,797 times
Random thoughts on conversation with anyone.

I would not say that people are uninterested in the "how did your day go" of another persons life but these things are best described with economy when nothing of note occurred and the person you are conversing with is not an important part of your life such as a significant other, brother, sister, children, etc.

I think most people view it favorably when you take an interest in the things they are passionate about but unfavorably when you pretend an interest in the thing itself. It isn't the thing thats important, its the simple respect of showing a concern for what matters to someone else.

Related. A lot of people will tend to run on when they get wound up talking about something they are passionate about. I'm guilty of this myself. There are two sides to this coin, I think people appreciate it when you let them run on somewhat but the flipside is people also appreciate it when you are paying enough attention to recognize the glazed look in their eyes and move on in the conversation.

Again related. People who are into whatever activity tend to know about it, they know the numbers, they know the nuances. Pretending to be interested in something you're not will soon be found out in conversation and you will not come off well.

Some people are quite good at conversation but others not. Most of us do better when talking about the things that we know about and care about though so it is often best to stick to these things till the conversation opens up.

Its ok to give someone else the last word.

Its not ok to dominate a conversation.

Its ok to disagree and leave it go, conversations are not about winning.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,707,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
As most of you know, I'm extremely shy, have little interests and hobbies and prefer staying home than going out.
I'd love to have a good friendship with a man, if not a relationship. What it is that guys like hearing women talk about?
Besides my dad and bro whom I'm not close to, I only have 1 guy who I consider a very good friend. Usually, I tell him jokes or funny videos I find on the Internet and about my day. Do men like hearing what goes on in a woman's day?

they claim not to be as demanding of women, but any woman who has ever put this to the test knows it's another lie.

they have demands on what kind of women talk to them, if you're not even attractive in the first place you may as well lower your standards or forget it. also, if you don't exude all kinds of confidence, they don't want you either you have to 'own the room,' as some man told me ......Not to be rude, but they probably peg you as 'boring' only on paper and City Data do they like 'shy 'women. Doesn't fly in the real world (you will continue getting looked over) but I guess you noticed that already.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM

904 posts, read 1,378,664 times
As long as your conversation is intelligent, I'm pretty happy talking about anything (including your day). If you're dumb as a box of rocks and can't put a complete sentence together, I will end the conversation and excuse myself quickly.

All of this talk about needing to be attractive first seems silly to me. If you're attractive that's cool, but if you're not smart you won't stand a chance with me. I used to think Megan Fox was the hottest female on the planet until I heard her in an interview and she proved she was a blithering idiot. I've never looked at her the same way since.

I once had a date with a very attractive woman who came over after dinner and was preparing to orally gratify me. I was really looking forward to it. Then she said something incredibly stupid (I think it was along the lines of not knowing who some political figure was) and I went completely limp.

Smart beats hot any day in my book.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 PM

6,540 posts, read 7,260,164 times
Quote:
As most of you know, I'm extremely shy, have little interests and hobbies and prefer staying home than going out.
I'd love to have a good friendship with a man, if not a relationship. What it is that guys like hearing women talk about?
Besides my dad and bro whom I'm not close to, I only have 1 guy who I consider a very good friend. Usually, I tell him jokes or funny videos I find on the Internet and about my day. Do men like hearing what goes on in a woman's day?
How did you become friends with that 1 guy you mention? You took your time to know him, spend time together, and so on and now enjoy this friendship. It wasn’t that difficult to start that friendship with that 1 guy, was it? That worked for you so why not do it all over again with other guys. As other guys have mentioned already, sports seem to be a common ice breaker specially if you know the topic well (stats, what player got traded or signed, weakness and strengths of a team or athlete, etc.) instead of just rooting for a team or athlete.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM

219 posts, read 505,362 times
If you're an interesting person people, men or women, are going to want to talk to you. I could talk to an interested listener about motorcycles an mountain bikes until I'm frickin dead but I know most women could give a isht about those two topics so we usually talk about something we have in common.

And yes, I enjoy hearing about my wifes day. I am interested in her therefor I am interested in hearing what she has to say...90% of the time. If he likes you he'll listen to you. Plus, talking about your day facilitates and leads to other conversations. I would, on the other hand avoid complaining a lot or being really negative. Just my $0.02

Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,603,786 times
Quote:
why do you care? you don't have to approach, guys just come to you, so your social-skills are meaningless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships