Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:49 PM

479 posts, read 835,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Actually he fathered his first child at the age of 22.
True, and I'll avoid using a certain term by saying, his first non-marital child.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
Well my grandfather was 72 when he had my father. He died in 1918 at the age of 80. He was eligible to vote for Lincoln in the second election. His first wife and daughter died and he married a woman he hired to care for his home. They had 3 children, the youngest being my father. His second wife never remarried and lived with two of the children until she died around 1950. I don't think I could ever entertain that lifestyle especially in this day and age as things have changed so much. I am close to 60 and the thought of raising another family scares me to death. I have grandchildren and they are a lot to handle. But some people may be fine with that. It all depends on the person and their outlook on life.

George Lucas while at his job he met Marcia Griffin, a film editor. They married in 1969 and adopted a child in 1981. The couple divorced in 1984, and Lucas later adopted two children on his own after the age of 40.

Charlie Chaplin was married 4 times and had 11 children between 1919 and 1962. The first child at the age of 30 and the last at the age of 73.

My grandmother had a child after the age of 40 so, that makes my uncle younger than I am. My father had a child well past 50 because his 3rd wife really, really wanted one. I've only met him once. Like his mother before him his child is an uncle younger than his nephews

Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
That's one of the only advantages men have. No biological clock, we can have kids at any age so there is no pressure to settle down in our 20's,30's and even 40's.
that's a big misunderstanding. sure they may not have a biological clock, but why would you want to start a family when you are nearing retirement age? or close to it? Just because you can have children at those ages doesn't mean you should

Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjawalt View Post
This crowd? Not a chance, it's all about brow beating others into social norms.

And, yes, my guess is that it is true that many of these guys aren't interested in dating women over 40 and/or are open to still being part of or having a family with a younger woman. I happen to be one of those guys.

One other sad fact I will also share with you. At least 80-90% of the single women over 40 on these dating sites are just simply undateable. Sure, if you want companionship they are available, but wow most are just plain train wrecks. And it's just not age, it's maintenance and certain look and vibe the suggest relationship challenges. I doubt if I ever get married again, particularly to someone in the available pool in my age group. Though I'd like to think otherwise.

Yeah, I know I'm going to get a lot of haters, betas, and others telling me I'm a dirt bag, slime, "I should settle", etc. But there was another female user who posted a thread about dating phases I(20s), II(30s), III(40s), and IV(50s) who pretty much nailed it when she said it was a rough and sad road for single women in their 40s and 50s.

My advice? your weight will always be your first impression, and many guys can't get past that. Sorry, I hate to say this but we have an American cultural epidemic with obesity and boy you can definitely confirm that by browsing online dating sites. By the way, go google and check out the documentary on HBO called "The Weight of the Nation". Fairly tragic what is happening to us... says 67% of Americans are overweight or obese.
even if a woman in her 40s was slim you still wouldn't want to date her

Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
As I have begun to hunt and peck around a few dating sites I have noticed many, MANY men in their late 40's and early 50's who do not have any children are checking off the "* Someday I want kids" or respond to the want kids is " *Definately ". What's up with that? Also the age range that lots of these men are looking for are for women up to age 50!?!? I don't know about anyone else, but me, as a woman in my 40s, am looking forward to the day my kids graduate college! Maybe it is being in NYC, and men may have focused on career more... I don't know. But this phenomenom has cleared out over one half of my possible online dating pool. LOL Has anyone else noticed similar?
I'm 43 and I still want kids (or a kid). I got divorced. This wasn't the plan I had for my life, thats for sure. I am about to give up on this dream, as the older I get, the less the women in their 30's will want me.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 PM

150 posts, read 250,850 times
really, the only opinions that matter in this decision are the couple and their family doctor. life is short, chart your own waters, find your bliss, and don't live your life according to other people's expectations.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
As I have begun to hunt and peck around a few dating sites I have noticed many, MANY men in their late 40's and early 50's who do not have any children are checking off the "* Someday I want kids" or respond to the want kids is " *Definately ". What's up with that? Also the age range that lots of these men are looking for are for women up to age 50!?!? I don't know about anyone else, but me, as a woman in my 40s, am looking forward to the day my kids graduate college! Maybe it is being in NYC, and men may have focused on career more... I don't know. But this phenomenom has cleared out over one half of my possible online dating pool. LOL Has anyone else noticed similar?

I also agree with some others they are just trying to attract younger women. any ploy they can use, will be. that's the first thing I thought when i would see that.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
that's a big misunderstanding. sure they may not have a biological clock, but why would you want to start a family when you are nearing retirement age? or close to it? Just because you can have children at those ages doesn't mean you should
Explain to me how that's a big misunderstanding?

If a man wants to have kids late that's his decision, I'm not condoning it but he has the right to have children at any age he wants.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I also agree with some others they are just trying to attract younger women. any ploy they can use, will be. that's the first thing I thought when i would see that.
And why would they want to attract younger women? Likely to have children! Well, of course some just want to show off.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
I actually thinks its honorable and smart that guys are focusing in their careers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships