Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would say your wrong to be jealous, but not wrong to feel at least some unease at the situation because. If your gf has otherwise, shown and proven she loves and is committed to you, there is no reason to be jealous if she has other friends. Let her actions speak. A 1 time meet isn't the actions of a cheater. Or someone intending to cheat.

However, a little unease is not uncalled for. The situation has your attention and you noted it. If nothing else happens as time passes that raises your suspicions, then it should reinforce your confidence in your relationship.
Fair enough. Keep yours eyes open
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:23 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,363 times
I'm reading these posts. I think I will change my opinion on this issue. I don't wan to limit
myself on possible relationships due to an insecurity with women and their male friends. But, I think requesting to get to know her friends is an accepable comprimise. This way i can be more comfortable with these male friends.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
See, this is why sometimes I wish people would post more details in their OP, because an entirely different picture is emerging.

Unfortunate proposition to make to a random man on the Internet, given your screen name. You're a pro, huh?
Yzette, please elaborate on the first comment above. Are you beginning to see a problem with the situation from the actions of the exGF?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
It really depends on the two people involved. Some people are more prone to jealousy than others. I think it also depends on the friend and how long your SO has known this friend. If I was dating a man who had a life long female friend, the female friend treated me with respect, and my SO was 100% open and honest about when he was hanging out with his friend, then I would probably be okay with it. If my SO suddenly started giong out for drinks after work with an opposite sex coworker, I probably would NOT be okay with it.

I've been cheated on in the past too. I work hard to control my jealousy and insecurity and not to punish other guys for what someone else did to me, but I have my limits. Part of being in a relationship is compromise and being respectful of the other person. I wouldn't date a guy who was spending all kinds of time one on one with female friends.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I guess it depends on the relationship. None of the men I've been with would have had a problem with it. BUT, it is because they knew me very well. I wouldn't hang out with a guy if I found him attractive, I don't believe in tempting fate. They knew I am a very loyal person, and I've never been unfaithful in any relationship. They had never caught me in any lies, cause I don't lie. If I'm in a relationship that means we have discussed scenarios like this, and things like emotional infidelity, etc.

On the off chance that my other half felt uncomfortable with something I was going to do..... that's easy, I just wouldn't do it. But, I can't think of an instance where that happened.

We are always respectful of each other, and if there is an opposite sex friend the other either knows a lot about it, or has met them.

I don't think you trusted her very much, and possibly for good reason.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Well, thats the thing.
Most guys don't see woman as "a dude with boobs".
Most guy I know anyway. Now, that DOESN'T mean that opposite sex friends are not possible, but I have so many male friends that would sleep with a opposite sex friend just cus it is fun and it feels good.
And then sometimes the friendship continues, sometimes it ends.
I don't consider myself naieve. Maybe I hang out with a lot of "pigs". But this is what I have seen from 20 ish years of opposite friend friendships....
Perhaps me and my male friends are different then. Whenever we're out and someone asks if one of them is my boyfriend they always make the 'ew, gross' face. None of them are interested in me, especially sexually and many of them have wives/girlfriends and none of them see me as a threat either.

I guess I'm just the exception.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I guess it depends on the relationship. None of the men I've been with would have had a problem with it. BUT, it is because they knew me very well. I wouldn't hang out with a guy if I found him attractive, I don't believe in tempting fate. They knew I am a very loyal person, and I've never been unfaithful in any relationship. They had never caught me in any lies, cause I don't lie. If I'm in a relationship that means we have discussed scenarios like this, and things like emotional infidelity, etc.

On the off chance that my other half felt uncomfortable with something I was going to do..... that's easy, I just wouldn't do it. But, I can't think of an instance where that happened.

We are always respectful of each other, and if there is an opposite sex friend the other either knows a lot about it, or has met them.

I don't think you trusted her very much, and possibly for good reason.
I didnt really "know" ANY of her friends. Met them a bunch of times. But only one person ever really chatted with me. And that was only a few times. All of her other friends completely ignored me. was quite weird...

Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
See, this is why sometimes I wish people would post more details in their OP, because an entirely different picture is emerging.

I think I got the picture from the get-go

Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Perhaps me and my male friends are different then. Whenever we're out and someone asks if one of them is my boyfriend they always make the 'ew, gross' face. None of them are interested in me, especially sexually and many of them have wives/girlfriends and none of them see me as a threat either.

I guess I'm just the exception.
Ditto.

I've had male friends whose homes I've spent the night in and it's never a concern for my husband.

I think you and I are just dealing with a different level of friendships and relationships.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think I got the picture from the get-go
which is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships