Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 03:28 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times

Advertisements

How long do you think a couple should talk about getting married before a proposal is actually made?

We have dated seven months. We started talking about it two months ago. We have talked about which house to live in, what stuff to keep, his kids, finances and stuff like that. We have both been married before and he has three daughters, two of them live with him full time. He talked with them about it and said they were all for it. We both have good jobs, even though his is a bit up in the air right now; he won't lose his job but it might change soon because the company is in bankruptcy. If it gets bought out he may have to commute and/or be demoted.

I spend all my free time at his house; mine is more like a dorm room these days. I just sleep and shower there. Not sure we should be waiting. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 PM

223 posts, read 434,652 times
Why do you think you shouldn't be waiting? I'm not sure how well you can know someone after seven months. And you mentioned that you both started talking about it at five months.

And will it matter if something happens with his job?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:11 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
So what do you stand to gain by marring sooner than later - other than paying less for rent?

First, you should let him pick the time and place. Don't rush, don't worry, just enjoy living life. Second, seven months is too short a time to discover and come to terms with the less attractive traits you and your partner each have. Give it a year and a half, at least. Some people recommend three years...it's strangely consistent.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Seven months isn't very long.
You've talked about it.
Let it percolate.

Go read all the relationship books, do all the quizzes, get to know his friends and family REALLY well...you're still in the honeymoon phase. Give it a couple of years to really get to know him.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Be clear: YOU are not sure you should be waiting, he is evidently sure you should be waiting because he has not popped the actual question yet.

Advice: Stop spending "all your free time at his house." Find things to do with that time that don't involve him. Give him some space.

Sorry to say this, but you sound a bit stalkerish/desperate, as in 'new girlfriend already measuring the drapes.'

Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
How long do you think a couple should talk about getting married before a proposal is actually made?

We have dated seven months. We started talking about it two months ago. We have talked about which house to live in, what stuff to keep, his kids, finances and stuff like that. We have both been married before and he has three daughters, two of them live with him full time. He talked with them about it and said they were all for it. We both have good jobs, even though his is a bit up in the air right now; he won't lose his job but it might change soon because the company is in bankruptcy. If it gets bought out he may have to commute and/or be demoted.

I spend all my free time at his house; mine is more like a dorm room these days. I just sleep and shower there. Not sure we should be waiting. What do you think?

I think you need to give it at least another year. 7 months is nothing. Two years...minimum. Three is better. The other posters are right...you are still in a honeymoon phase of the relationship. You need to be beyond that before considering marriage. And stop spending all your time at his house. Good grief.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
A year is enough time. These two have been married before and have presumably learned from their mistakes and know what they really want in a partner. I say things are on schedule, but most certainly don't push. Relax and wait.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
What do you think?
I think you both need a new living situation.
You don't need to be married to do this.

Cross that bridge, take a deep breath, sort through the stuff...
then cross the next bridge.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
I completely agree with ChessieMom on this.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
As long as it takes for one to be ready to ask, and the other to be willing to accept.

These aren't always guaranteed to happen at the same time.

Quote:

What's the rush ?
It's not a badge of honour or something.
Enjoy your relationship without putting it under undue pressures.
Let it come to you, don't go chasing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships