Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
He already has asked me home but it was to meet his kid. LOL, I said let's wait a bit and see if we get on or not so we'll do the halfway thing again this weekend. I suspect you're right about me remembering this as fun--and I keep reminding myself that I fantasized about the single life when I was married and I do feel like a kid in a candy shop sometimes b/c I love men--I love to talk to them and look at them and flirt with them--it just makes my day and I had to suppress that when I was married. I think some of us never outgrow that either--a woman in my dance group is 80 and she still adores them too. Sounds like you're a kindred soul on that one.

A funny thing about that--I went to a dance a couple of weeks ago and there was a very attractive accordion player from Bulgaria and he didn't know a word of English and he kept looking over my way and giving me a big grin. Trouble is that I wasn't sure what to do about it besides smile back. I mean, how would you go on a date with someone who doesn't know English and has to go back to Bulgaria really soon? But who cares--it made me happy and I would not have flirted like that if I were still married.
He sounds like the perfect man - cute, silent, about to sail away for ever...like Titanic!

A great one night romance, just waiting to happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
A funny thing about that--I went to a dance a couple of weeks ago and there was a very attractive accordion player from Bulgaria and he didn't know a word of English and he kept looking over my way and giving me a big grin. Trouble is that I wasn't sure what to do about it besides smile back. I mean, how would you go on a date with someone who doesn't know English and has to go back to Bulgaria really soon? But who cares--it made me happy and I would not have flirted like that if I were still married.
Well, if he's leaving soon, there may not be much point, but Stepka, aren't you of Slavic heritage? If you speak a Slavic language, you and the Bulgarian can manage, even if you don't speak the same Slavic language. Too bad he's not hanging around. I've heard good things about Bulgarians.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, if he's leaving soon, there may not be much point, but Stepka, aren't you of Slavic heritage? If you speak a Slavic language, you and the Bulgarian can manage, even if you don't speak the same Slavic language. Too bad he's not hanging around. I've heard good things about Bulgarians.
Mmm 50/50 English and German and no slavic languages, though a male friend from work was there to interpret at the party lol. I have managed to converse with those with limited English skills--do it every day in fact--but we had no words in common. My friend said if I want to be with him I need to move to Bulgaria and I was hoping in a couple of years to go teach English somewhere. Hmmm. . . It's the accordion that's holding me back, but I have a banjo.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:44 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
The language of love is universal

Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
i'm now 59 and have dated on and off (since divorcing) for 11 years, interupted only by "long term" relationships. When single and wanting a relationship, I've never had a problem meeting and dating. I've always been somewhat average in appeareance, maybe slightly above average. And my intelligence is above average. I have always been honest and forthright and have looked for the same in a potential partner. I have no problem communicating with women of any age or in any forum- or men for that matter. For me, it's a matter of honesty and integrity. If I don't see that in a woman I have a interest in, I move on. Life is too short. While it's true that being open leave's me vulnerable, I have always felt it's worth the risk. And as it turns out, the risk is fear and I've learned to set the fear aside so it's become a non-issue. So if I have any advice to share, it's "be yourself". I think when that happens the genuine "you" comes through and people can see that. At least the ones that matter see it. And that's a good thing.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
i'm now 59 and have dated on and off (since divorcing) for 11 years, interupted only by "long term" relationships. When single and wanting a relationship, I've never had a problem meeting and dating. I've always been somewhat average in appeareance, maybe slightly above average. And my intelligence is above average. I have always been honest and forthright and have looked for the same in a potential partner. I have no problem communicating with women of any age or in any forum- or men for that matter. For me, it's a matter of honesty and integrity. If I don't see that in a woman I have a interest in, I move on. Life is too short. While it's true that being open leave's me vulnerable, I have always felt it's worth the risk. And as it turns out, the risk is fear and I've learned to set the fear aside so it's become a non-issue. So if I have any advice to share, it's "be yourself". I think when that happens the genuine "you" comes through and people can see that. At least the ones that matter see it. And that's a good thing.
What a great post.

All relationships carry risks. The more we invest, the more we place at risk. But we can minimize the risks by choosing our investments wisely.

Kind of like when you meet with a financial advisor. The first thing they ask is "What level of risk are you comfortable with?"

If you don't like ANY risk, you limit your potential for return on your investment - but maybe 5 cats make you happier in the long run than a passionate affair, who knows? And who's to say that choice is WRONG?

Of course, the opposite extreme is that you risk everything for wild fling with a stranger.

Neither extreme is for me, but to each his own.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What a great post.

All relationships carry risks. The more we invest, the more we place at risk. But we can minimize the risks by choosing our investments wisely.

Kind of like when you meet with a financial advisor. The first thing they ask is "What level of risk are you comfortable with?"

If you don't like ANY risk, you limit your potential for return on your investment - but maybe 5 cats make you happier in the long run than a passionate affair, who knows? And who's to say that choice is WRONG?

Of course, the opposite extreme is that you risk everything for wild fling with a stranger.

Neither extreme is for me, but to each his own.
Thanks Kathryn.

The first thing I ask a financial advisor is, how much money do you have? And if the answer suggests success, I ask if any of it came from somewhere other than themselves, such as inheritance. I've met a lot of people in that profession socially and they typically haven't made much of themselves financally. That should be a red flag to anyone.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM

A lot of people on dating sites communicate electronically (and by phone) for far too long before meeting face to face. I wasted a lot of time trying to weed out and find the perfect person only to find that when the big meet finally popped, there was huge disappointment- typically for each of us. Of course you want the vitals and get a sense of who the person is. But beyond a point, people seem to form a image and perhaps fantasy that is not based in anything but imagination. And nothing takes the place of looking into a persons eyes, face to face.

I used to be fearful of the first meeting, but in time I got over it. I came to see all meetings as a learning experience, and would look at it this way; I was going to have a cup of coffee or have lunch or dinner anyway. The worst that could happen is the person isn't "as described". This actually happened to me more than once. While tempted to initially scream "False Advertising!', I took her to dinner as promised and learned from the experience. That is, learned how to ferrit out that type of individual before the first meet. In other words, I learned as much from so called bad experiences as the good and when I did meet good people, I knew it. It's like FDR said, "There's nothing to fear but fear itself".

Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 AM

A lot of men seem to be into "hit and run". I suppose that may work for a lot of them because I've heard women complain about it. I think any goy that shows minimal effort isn't worth any effort on your part. There's good men out there, albeit (apparently) few.

I suspect many of the "hit and run" or "hit or miss" types may already be in a relationship so they avoid the intimacy or soulfulness required to establish a meaningful rapport on a dating site. Or perhaps their dults?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 AM

A lot of men seem to be into "hit and run". I suppose that may work for a lot of them because I've heard women complain about it. I think any guy that shows minimal effort isn't worth any effort on your part. There's good men out there, albeit (apparently) few.

I suspect many of the "hit and run" or "hit or miss" types may already be in a relationship so they avoid the intimacy or soulfulness required to establish a meaningful rapport on a dating site. Or perhaps their dults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships