Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,983,775 times

Advertisements

Title should say *be keeping* my apologies.

I currently have a boyfriend and he makes me happy. But I feel like I am settling.

Reason I say this is because he is 36..lives at home..his car recently got repo'd...and now he is on Workman's Compensation for his technician job.

And I don't know why, but he purchased a few houses in Atlanta, yet he lives in Queens, NYC. (One of the houses got foreclosed)

I am really trying to make something of my life and it isn't easy. I want someone of equal ambition!

I mean, granted, I still live at home and I am 26. But I work and have my own car and am planning to move out this year.

So, with that said, is it wrong to look for prospects while with my BF and "shop around"..??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,045,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post

I currently have a boyfriend and he makes me happy. But I feel like I am settling.Then you're not happy, are you?

Reason I say this is because he is 36..lives at home..his car recently got repo'd...and now he is on Workman's Compensation for his technician job.

And I don't know why, but he purchased a few houses in Atlanta, yet he lives in Queens, NYC. (One of the houses got foreclosed)

I am really trying to make something of my life and it isn't easy. I want someone of equal ambition!

I mean, granted, I still live at home and I am 26. But I work and have my own car and am planning to move out this year.

So, with that said, is it wrong to look for prospects while with my BF and "shop around"..??
If you're itching to leave he's obviously not doing it for you. Why not just dump your boyfriend?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,613,483 times
Look all you want to until you get married.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 AM

460 posts, read 671,586 times
Quote:

I currently have a boyfriend and he makes me happy. But I feel like I am settling.

Sounds like he's not marriage material for you. I'd just dump him and go on my way. What kind of message does it send to your new prospects if you run off on your boyfriend for them? They are going to be thinking that you're a potential cheater or just untrustworthy in general. I think you'll find better prospects as a single lady looking than a girlfriend looking for something better.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,140,146 times
No. You're not married to the dude, anything is fair game.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,601,342 times
Oh bs. Tell the guy that he isnt doing it for you and break it off with him. Selfish people who want their cake and want to eat it too, make me sad. believe me, if you are single for a week - you wont cease to exist. Ive noticed that mostly women are always looking for upgrades, even if theyre positive that their current relationship is going nowhere. Its selfish and selfserving.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,940,597 times
Quote:

I'm sorry.

I really don't see a guy who lives at home when he is 36 a good marriage mate.

Then...what kind of potential Inlaws would allow a grown man to stay at home?

Picture a fat adult bird sitting in a nest with his mouth open to the sky. Yeah! You will play the role of mother bird bringing worms to him.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,795,609 times
Quote:
he is 36..lives at home..his car recently got repo'd...and now he is on Workman's Compensation for his technician job.

More than a few red flags with the current BF.

If you're not committed to the relationship: 1. Get out. Then 2. Find someone who better matches what you need/want in a mate.

IMO, stringing your current BF along while "keeping an eye out" for someone better is unfair to him and shows a lack of integrity on your part.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,940,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Oh bs. Tell the guy that he isnt doing it for you and break it off with him. Selfish people who want their cake and want to eat it too, make me sad. believe me, if you are single for a week - you wont cease to exist. Ive noticed that mostly women are always looking for upgrades, even if theyre positive that their current relationship is going nowhere. Its selfish and selfserving.
This is so true.

Thus when a single man approaches then girl she says I'm in a relationship.

How coincidental that she calls a week later saying she broke up with her boyfriend.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,983,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Kind of true. But kind of not! I think it's unfair he put me in this situation! He should have been honest from the beginning.

And I don't like being single. Men have a hard time committing. Too bad the one I found to commit has nothing really going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
No. You're not married to the dude, anything is fair game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
If you're itching to leave he's obviously not doing it for you. Why not just dump your boyfriend?
He's a great guy and gives me a ton of attention? Maybe this will get annoying in another few months. We've been together since January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I'm sorry.

I really don't see a guy who lives at home when he is 36 a good marriage mate.

Then...what kind of potential Inlaws would allow a grown man to stay at home?

Picture a fat adult bird sitting in a nest with his mouth open to the sky. Yeah! You will play the role of mother bird bringing worms to him.
His mother CALLS him when he spends the night over. That's the type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships