Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,733,584 times

Advertisements

Have you ever ended your relationship with someone and went for their best friend? How did it feel?

You know, I would never do something like that. But there are those who are dumb enough to do so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:17 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,638,920 times
No and I would not. Not because I feel it is "right or wrong," just for the fact that when I've been pushed to the edge, I'm done with someone - totally done - they are "dead" to me, and their friends are an "extension" of them, per se. I would not call those who have done this, "dumb enough," as you have suggested. There are quite a few success stories out there where happily ever after was the end result.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM

65 posts, read 84,316 times
Oh I have seen it happen a few times. But I look at it like this.....If someone ended a relationship with you, and then went after your best friend. If that friend is receptive to that then they are not and never were your friend, let alone your BEST friend.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,360,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1960 View Post
Oh I have seen it happen a few times. But I look at it like this.....If someone ended a relationship with you, and then went after your best friend. If that friend is receptive to that then they are not and never were your friend, let alone your BEST friend.
So what if those two people were supposed to be together? What if they married and had a beautiful life together, were super compatible and just one of those couples that "worked?" How do we know what a good match should be?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM

65 posts, read 84,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
So what if those two people were supposed to be together? What if they married and had a beautiful life together, were super compatible and just one of those couples that "worked?" How do we know what a good match should be?
Then that's fine and wonderful. Best of luck to them. Still a pretty sleazy thing to do by a 'best friend'.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,674,022 times
^^^Redvelvet.
Then may they have that blessedly "moral" guilt free life together & wishing them best of luck as they may need it down the road!!!!

So now say... that woman is engaged to be married to this best friend & through the grapevine she learned her friend now has interest in this guy & believes they are soul mate more than his fiancee and maybe that guy showed cold feet at the wedding & showed interest in that girl to....

Now. Won't that be one hot mess????

There is "virtue" in loyalty many modern day couple seem to forget hence that high divorce rate where even their children is counseled that divorce happens so it is all right & they in turn grow up that way "divorce is all right"....

Even if for the selfish love for that ultimate match... nevertheless, while it may have hurt others to gratify that self... may not be the best "karma" one wants.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,582,558 times
It absolutely depends. I've never left a man for his best friend, but I have been the person left for one of my friends more than once. With one, he just cheated on me and 'tried' my ex-best friend out until he made up his mind. I am no longer friends with either of them.

Another time, he sat me down, told me it wasn't working (and I agreed) and asked me if he could ask my best friend out. They made a wonderful couple, much better than me and him did.

So, as I said..it depends on the situation.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,420,840 times
They will stab each other in the back some day anyway all you are doing is saving them time.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:19 PM

691 posts, read 1,424,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
They will stab each other in the back some day anyway all you are doing is saving them time.
I have seen this happen and it resulted in a big rift in my social circle. But that person will also stab the new lover in their back, as a backstabber will always be a backstabber.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM

255 posts, read 693,891 times
Kev... If you would never do it, why are you posing the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships