Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times

Advertisements

Loves mountains makes an excellent point.
THEY HAVE been seeing each other nine months regardless of the “labels”
She obviously knew him and he her, if he was not satisfactory in any area than she took her sweet time in telling him so.
Giving nudges and hints is not communication, she waited too long imho.
The Dr.? For all his well paid education and knowledge gives a great example that education often times leaves some with little social skills some being “common sense” and empathy.
He may be slow on the comeback and now “blaming” the woman for her past to justify his actions to her question.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Also, the woman seems to speak "flatly" whenever she opens her mouth.

Sounds like we have another amateur novelist in our midst, folks.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 AM

895 posts, read 474,942 times
When men expect women think, talk, communicate, feel, reason, and measure relationships in any way that is similar to the way a man does, he will NEVER be able to fully connect with a woman. Dan obviously mistook this woman's attempt to directly express her desire for a better relationship and sexual adventure, as either a common female test, or as an insult. Either way, dismissing her when she was attempting a last resort communication to salvage a situation going bad, demonstrates both his value of the relationship and his general lack of "getting" women.

And most of the guys giving him kudos and defending him clearly don't get women either, I'm sure there is more to the story and assuming she is just an immature self-centered biatch, defies the data afforded in the OP.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Loves mountains makes an excellent point.
THEY HAVE been seeing each other nine months regardless of the “labels”
She obviously knew him and he her, if he was not satisfactory in any area than she took her sweet time in telling him so.
This. None of you want to look at the above. She waited 9 months to tell him that he wasn't meeting her needs? All of you jump to the conclusion that she meant sexually bc the conversation came while they were in bed. She could have meant any number of things. At 9 months in I may have just walked out as well.

Think about how it would feel to have someone you've been seeing for 9 months tell you after having sex that you're not meeting her needs. I'd been pissed. It says a lot about her communication skills or lack there of. Seems like she already had her mind made up so why bother to try to change her mind? Obviously she didn't care very much, otherwise she would brought the issues to his attention months ago so that he could possibly correct his 'mistakes'. But instead she wanted to drop a bomb on his head and then roll over. It was all about her feeling good for letting him have it. Very mature for 55.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Surefire way to go headfirst into a failure of a relationship = avoid communication

Exhibit A: this original post
I skimmed the OP and missed that they knew each other as loves noticed, but lovesmountains is just cool that way.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:35 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
She's a wealthy fifty-ish, divorced real estate agent with no children whom I've dated over the last nine months; I'm a fifty-five-ish, busy physician.

I answered her statement, "You don't have needs, just desires. And if you did have needs, I would'nt have the time nor the desire to fulfill them." Without hesitation she responded flatly, "OK".

I uncuddled, got up, got dressed, then while turning toward the bedroom doorI said, "Good bye". Driving home, I saw those moments over in my mind as watching a scene in a movie. Politeness goes a long way...

Thought I'd share.
Sounds like the ego took a beating. I get it. But is there any nice way to say it? Should she have said "It's not you, it's me?".

What was the point of that response? "Just desires" are less significant to you than needs, yet you weren't even meeting even those. You wouldn't have the time nor the desire to meet her needs, and you want her to be polite? Doesn't seem fair.

Our character is defined by how we handle the hard stuff, like rejection.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
She's a wealthy fifty-ish, divorced real estate agent with no children whom I've dated over the last nine months; I'm a fifty-five-ish, busy physician.
I answered her statement, "You don't have needs, just desires. And if you did have needs, I would'nt have the time nor the desire to fulfill them." Without hesitation she responded flatly, "OK".
I uncuddled, got up, got dressed, then while turning toward the bedroom doorI said, "Good bye". Driving home, I saw those moments over in my mind as watching a scene in a movie. Politeness goes a long way...
Thought I'd share.
I am confused I guess as to who said what?? Sounds like a scene from a soap opera and one I don't think I would want a repeat of. How embarassing for both of you to finally figure out that you were in such a FLAT relationship. Whose needs were not being met? Hers? Who cares as you both obviously didn't really care about each other to begin with. You are BOTH better off and Physician or Real Estate Agent isn't the issue at hand here...it is that you were both in it for the physical part, both got bored and both played a part in it ending. So??? I guess you can say your relationship if that was what it was.."Bought The Farm"....sigh.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I am confused I guess as to who said what?? Sounds like a scene from a soap opera and one I don't think I would want a repeat of. How embarassing for both of you to finally figure out that you were in such a FLAT relationship. Whose needs were not being met? Hers? Who cares as you both obviously didn't really care about each other to begin with. You are BOTH better off and Physician or Real Estate Agent isn't the issue at hand here...it is that you were both in it for the physical part, both got bored and both played a part in it ending. So??? I guess you can say your relationship if that was what it was.."Bought The Farm"....sigh.
I wouldn't go so far as to assume they didn't care about each other. He's obviously hurt, based on how poorly he handled it. And who's to say they didn't have a good thing over all? That might explain why she stayed as long as she did. Sometimes, it isn't enough to go beyond 9 months or 4 weeks or 3 years. Different limits for different people.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 AM

545 posts, read 908,420 times
I think you all are making too much of OPs post. He was just pointing out a civilized split. Albeit I prefer to go down in flames.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 AM

426 posts, read 558,678 times
As a southerner once said many years ago, " frankly Scarlet i dont give a ..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships