Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Not sure why night time would preclude a bicycling and picnic date. Total cost can be < $10 excluding gas in total.
I agree ... it's almsot summer. It'll still be light in the early evening, and probably not very warm. (Not sure how hot it is there yet.)

I vote for a scenic little hike followed by ice cream. We have a lovely path along the river here, and you can stop for some refreshments at the end or midway. Surely you have something similar in Atlanta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Okay, evening date.

Call your local zoo and find out what their hours are; they may have some evening hours, and the zoo is a nice place to stroll and chat.

Bring a small backpack with you, the school variety, and put a few "romantic" (meaning NOT Cheetos) snacks in there, like a bowl with some olives, another with some nice cheese, some nice crackers, and even a small thermos with a NICE soup in it, something you make or buy from a GOOD deli, no BS Campbells soups out of a can. Think PICNIC stuff.

If the zoo doesn't have any evening stuff (although it's close to the height of summer daylight hours now) then check out local parks for things like amphitheaters, shows, plays. You can sit in open air and enjoy the show OR sit near the back and talk some, get up and walk away if you prefer.

If you do this, stick with the picnic stuff but also bring a candle or two for when it gets darker, and maybe a mosquito coil.

The Barnes and Noble idea for coffee wasn't bad (someone posted above), and it's a good FOLLOW-UP for the park, you can get coffee, tea, frappes, what have you. Often you can get cheesecake. Someone above spoke wisdom: Women love cheesecake.

If you don't want the flow of conversation to be awkward, think of a few topics ahead of time JUST IN CASE, so if things lull you can pull one of these out. It's real conversation, it's just also some preparation.

If your city has some small DINERS, these are better than restaurants for chatting and getting to know someone. If you want to take the diner option, then seek out (Google is your FRIEND) a diner somewhere close to a place where you can also spend time strolling. WALKING on a slow, casual stroll is GREAT for meeting someone in the evening.

Be weather-conscious. Check out the forecast and keep track; if the big night looks to be uncomfortably muggy or hot, have a BACKUP plan. Do NOT leave this until the last minute! DO NOT!

If you have a chance to speak to her the day before, let her KNOW where your first plans are, so that she can dress appropriately. Women love surprises and spontaneity BUT don't like to be dressed inappropriately and made uncomfortable. If you don't want to spill the beans about the zoo (just by way of example) then say to her "Hey, the night's supposed to be [insert approximate weather here], so please, feel free to dress comfortably." Don't TELL her how to dress, give her approximations and leave it up to her. Bases covered.

Hey, good luck!
Great suggestions!!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:04 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
So I made a mistake....instead of a coffee date, I asked this woman out for a real first date. I met her at a speed dating thing. I want to do something fun and inexpensive. I know she likes the outdoors, but this is an evening date. I'm at a loss here. Was thinking about a comedy show, but thats not so great because we can't talk. Of course, it does get us laughing. Suggestions? It will be an evening date, so nothing active outdoors, which is something I would have ordinarily done.
Get take out and eat it in a park, by a lake, on top of some bluff, etc.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I was always the chief planner with my chick friends, so I'm actually pretty good at suggestions for cheap dates (at least one of us is broke at any given time). As a woman, I'm thinking DON'T plan something that involves physical exertion beyond a comfortable stroll unless you know that you are of comparable physical abilities. Keep things in well in each other's comfort zones for the initial date so she'll feel at ease.

Honestly, one of the best times my friends and I had in recent memory was the evening I ordered a couple of pizzas. I grabbed a quilt off my bed and dragged it, my friends and the pizza into the park with a jug of iced tea. We flopped down in the grass and chatted until it got dark. Should the conversation stall, you can get up and go for a stroll. If she can make it at 6, you should be good until dusk hits around 8 or so. If a guy ever did that with me, I would be thrilled to death - honestly.

Just make sure it's a nice park with no homeless folks approaching you for cash or whatever. And if you really want to be on her good side, have some dessert on hand in the form of a couple cupcakes or cannoli, maybe a fruit salad if she's health conscious.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Miniature golf.

[the blue water is romantic]

Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Groupon and Living Social are your friends!
Sounds good but let's hope she doesn't feel insulted for him using any kind of discounts, coupons, etc. as many women have shown to dislike.

Last edited by onihC; 06-08-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,819,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Groupon and Living Social are your friends!
Save that for the second date if there is one.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Sounds good but let's hope she doesn't feel insulted for him using any kind of discounts, coupons, etc. as many women have shown to dislike.
Agreed.

[no to coupons]

Old 06-08-2012, 05:51 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,514 times
I think Cheesecake Factory is, in terms of vibe, a bit overkill for a first date. Also, I don't know about Atlanta (last time I visited there was 20 years ago, when I was a kid), but the one here in Austin is often very crowded.

The ideas mentioned in this thread about the free movie at a park, or doing some other simple activity at a lake/park, or the B&N cafe thing, or maybe even some combination of those, are much better suggestions.

For subsequent "eating out" dates, should things progress to that point, it might be better and more fun to go to interesting local restaurants or diners rather than chain establishments.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Decided on Park Tavern, which is a restaurant overlooking the park. Made a reservation for outside seats on the patio. Won't be cheap, but oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships