Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

Monday nights we usually go to either a lecture at Oxford University Archaeological Society or a Comedy Improv show in Oxford, Wednesdays might be Archery or this year canoeing/boating,other week-nights we might be in reading, watching TV, dealing with stuff we need to ( at the moment looking for a "new to us car" and smartphone).

But we might also go out for dinner ( we did last night), go for a drive in the Cotswolds, go to a movies etc... Fridays tend to be our quietest evenings but once a month we go to a book club or meet up with friends for dinner and drinks/go to the pub.

Week-ends are usually jam packed for us, saturday mornings is running errands ( post office, minor shopping etc...), the afternoon we will usually go for a nice lunch , go to see a movie, museum,art gallery, then the evening is often a play, a concert or a gig. Sundays is lie in morning, then we might go a for a drive for the day to a nice city like Bath or go to the sea, go boating, watch polo games , movies, dinner etc... Week-ends are usually our busiest time for activities anyway. We try to vary it and will drive to London,Stratford , Brighton etc... We also try to do week-ends away as much as possible.

We are both 44. Been together for over 23 years. We have always been pretty active culturally and living in Oxford it is hard to be bored or not to have something we want to do. We used to do a lot more physically like a lot of walking but I am disabled so I have to tailor my activities to what my body body will allow me to do !

Summer long evenings means we tend to enjoy more daylight so we prefer to go out for a drive or a nice Al Fresco dinner whenever we can .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
DH and I will be celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary in two weeks.

I am a high school cafeteria cook and am off for the summer. DH has a small retirement business (he is a "picker" and has indoor/outdoor flea market stands) and works a few hours every afternoon at the family business doing bookkeeping. I sometimes go with him to hang out with our daughter (who runs the business), or I'll go to the lake to swim, or just stay home. Evenings, we always watch Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity on Fox News. I go to bed early, usually after that. We are home together mornings during the week, and we work on projects both inside and out - I spend a lot of time outside in the garden (I grow vegetables for sale at my daughter's store), and DH is working on the kitchen. Wednesday mornings he spends at his indoor flea markets, pricing, arranging, etc. Thursday afternoons and Friday mornings we go "picking" together - yard sales, barn sales, and estate sales, where he finds items for his stands. Saturdays and Sundays he leaves very early to go to his outdoor flea market stands (the indoor ones do not require his presence). I just stay home, because I don't like sitting at the flea market all day. When he gets home, we'll eat dinner, usually go to the lake, or maybe the movies. We're quiet homebodies for the most part. There really isn't any "night life" or much entertainment where we live.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM

400 posts, read 566,375 times
I am in my twenties my husband is in his thirties and we have three young kids. About 2-4 nights a week we do our own thing (i.e. one of us goes out and the other stays with the kids) We'd love to go out more together but recently moved away from family and don't have great baby sitting options. His "own thing" consists of staying late to play games/drink at work and meeting weekly with a group of guys who are his close friends. My "own thing" varies. I like to go to the open mic night at the coffee house near by or just go out with girl friends. Sometimes I just go grocery shopping alone or to the farmers market, bookstore, or thrift shops on the weekend. I love my alone time because I stay with the kids all day and it's nice to just have time to stroll without feeling like there are three strings attached to me.

On the evenings we're home together we usually end up cleaning, catching up on bills, planning out vacations/scheduling, or watching a show on netflix or hulu. We always decide to watch something together neither of us typically watch anything alone. Sometimes (as a programmer) he will bring something home that he really wants to work on and I will get on FB or CD and before you know it POOF the night is gone! We used to dance in the living room pretty regularly after the kids were asleep, it's been a while. We have sex once or twice a week. I usually need at least one drink to get in the mood. We get a date less often than once a month right now.

We love our Saturdays with the kids finding festivals and museums and other things to do in the city and we picnic like crazy in the summer. We used to bike as a family a lot too before my husband was hit by a car. He is slowly recovering and hopefully we'll get to do that some more this year.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
If we're home together, we typically do something together. It might be just watch TV or a movie, go for a walk, go out to eat. She's tired by evening and needs the weekends to recover so she can be ready for work on MOnday. We're in our early 60's ,so we don't have a lot of spare energy after the work week. Plus, there isn't much to do around here, so quiet time at home is nice.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Let's see..five nights a week we go to the gym. I do yoga, he lifts weights and goes in the hot tub. I usually do a few miles on the elliptical. We use a big family changing room, and take a shower together. We go home, have dinner, he checks e mail, I clean the kitchen and start laundry. I play with my Kindle, we go to bed early. Sex usually 4 nights a week. We went to Costco last night...no gym.

This morning we made love...got up, went to the Farmers market, came home, did yard work, I mowed he trimmed. Tomorrow, he goes to church, I will clean house, we are meeting friends for dinner.

No kids. He is 72, I am over 50.
Wow and you have time to moderate the city-data forums! Most 30 year old couples I know don't do it that often, Hef could take some tips from him

Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
For married people and people who've been together a while -

Question 1:

When you are at home together on the weekends and in the evenings, what do you both typically do?
I don't necessarily mean things that you do together either. Just describe a typical evening and weekend when you're both in the house.

Question 2:

When you decide to go out on the weekends or after work, what do you like to do?
Either together or apart.
If you spend that time together, that's great, but if you don't.... then what do you both typically do?

I'm also interested in reading answers from both people who have kids AND people who don't. Oh! And please list your age/age group. Thanks!
36 and 34. 6 month old baby.

I don't work 9 to 5, but she does. I work 7 to 5, 2 to 12, and 9pm to 7am. No pattern. Randomly. I also work at least 2 weekends a month.

When we have an evening together, we feed the kiddo his last meal, bathe him, put him to bed. Feed the dogs. Then it's about 6 or 6:30. If I haven't done my workout, I do that. She might start some laundry and get to the bills. We eat some dinner. We might watch one show on the dvr together. Then she goes to bed (around 8). It's because he gets up to eat (breastfeed) in the middle of the night and then again at 0530 for the day. So she has to maximize sleep.

We don't really go out much. Weekends together might be spent watching movies, swimming, working out, going for walks, cooking, going to the store, going to have brunch at my parents' house. All with the kiddo. Maybe a friend will come over here for dinner or to swim or whatever.
We don't much like inflicting the boy on people out at restaurants trying to have a good time, though he isn't much of a crier. But what we do is limited, because he naps every 2 hours.

Alone during the day, I have my trainer over here for an hour 4 times a week, and I work out besides that. I like to read, play with the dog, organize/repair the house, cook, etc. I had dinner with my brother and a friend the other day, and I had dinner with my parents 3 days ago. Alone. This is an anomaly. Normally if I have free time, I want to spend it with my wife.

Honestly, it's not that different now than before we had the kid, except that all my days off during the week are taking care of him (instead of getting my own stuff done). But we have a nanny, too, so she watches him half the day while I work out and get my chores done. Then I take him for the rest of the day until my wife comes home. Now that he's older, he is kind of fun to take to the grocery store or hardware store or (sheesh) liquor store...lol...

Her free time...? Not sure she has any...lol!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:09 PM

267 posts, read 82,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
For married people and people who've been together a while -

Question 1:

When you are at home together on the weekends and in the evenings, what do you both typically do?
I don't necessarily mean things that you do together either. Just describe a typical evening and weekend when you're both in the house.

Question 2:

When you decide to go out on the weekends or after work, what do you like to do?
Either together or apart.
If you spend that time together, that's great, but if you don't.... then what do you both typically do?

As real as you can get with the answers. If you engage a unique activity either together or apart, what is it specifically? If they're fairly common or mundane activities.... I'd still like to know that too! Do you watch CNN every night like clockwork and file your nails? That's an answer too.

Thanks I'm kind of helping a friend with a writing project.

I'm also interested in reading answers from both people who have kids AND people who don't. Oh! And please list your age/age group. Thanks!

I have been married 25 yrs. My husband and I are raising our 3 yr. old grandchild. On a typical weekday evening we cook supper together and we watch television while i tap out on the computer and my grandchild plays next to us. On a weekend we work on the house together or the yard and in evening we play games or watch movies.....We spend all our time together but we enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships