Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 38,174 times

Advertisements

Hi ! My boyfriend is in the airforce and hAs been for sometime now and we've also been in a long distance relationship the entire time we've been dating now we have one month left to go before we move in and it couldn't come slow enough ! but I feel like everytjme were apart its hard for us to focus on our relationship cuz we have two diff lives going on.. Although we have one month left I feel as if though this is the ultimate test waiting for this last month and living together.... Anyone have any advice that's ever been in a LDR? Maybe another military spouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
I've had a girlfriend move away before and we kept it going. It's definitely possible as long as you both keep your heads cool. You also have to be really sure that you want to make it work, it is not easy, but if you want to put in the work you need to have your own life. Too many people get obsessive in a long distance relationship because they are working so hard to keep the relationship going they forget about the rest of their life and everything around them starts to suffer and they rely more and more on the person they're with and that's why you see so many jealousy problem in a LDR.

So my advice to you, is to keep an active lifestyle, go out with your friends as much as possible and have an overall good time and don't let being in a LDR inhibit your life in any way.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I've had a girlfriend move away before and we kept it going. It's definitely possible as long as you both keep your heads cool. You also have to be really sure that you want to make it work, it is not easy, but if you want to put in the work you need to have your own life. Too many people get obsessive in a long distance relationship because they are working so hard to keep the relationship going they forget about the rest of their life and everything around them starts to suffer and they rely more and more on the person they're with and that's why you see so many jealousy problem in a LDR.

So my advice to you, is to keep an active lifestyle, go out with your friends as much as possible and have an overall good time and don't let being in a LDR inhibit your life in any way.
@burgler09 Thanks for that advice ! That's something I definitely need to start focusing on is my independence before we move in together. My family says I'll miss it ! & i have notices the jealousy before and i know its because we cant be a part of eachothers enjoyment right now .. So thanks for that little piece of advice ! Appreciate it !

Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
My niece just got engaged to her boyfriend who has been overseas for a year. They didn't date that much but they talked a lot using skype. I never thought she would get married at least not for a while. She was totally against marriage until this guy came along.

You can make it work but it is never easy.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Wow ! That's awesome because i can kind of relate.. I definitley know he's the one just us having stuff going on through out the day on top of not seeing one another makes it so hard to make sure we're both happy .. Reason being we're moving in together ! I'm so super excited ! Thankyou for the advice !!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:24 PM

426 posts, read 558,778 times
Before getting married my wife and i were in a LDR the $300 long distance phone bills were worth every penny. I can remember that last month apart and how much of a toll it took on both of us. We both worried that we wouldnt be able to have that same fire we once had and i clearly remember her ending our last phone call pleading with me to hurry home and never ever leave her again. To this day i never have and we never talk about that period of time- it was like it never happened.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blm1990 View Post
Hi ! My boyfriend is in the airforce and hAs been for sometime now and we've also been in a long distance relationship the entire time we've been dating now we have one month left to go before we move in and it couldn't come slow enough ! but I feel like everytjme were apart its hard for us to focus on our relationship cuz we have two diff lives going on.. Although we have one month left I feel as if though this is the ultimate test waiting for this last month and living together.... Anyone have any advice that's ever been in a LDR? Maybe another military spouse
You have a month to go. Take up a hobby or read the Harry Potter trilogy or something. Your problem goes away soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships