Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 AM

822 posts, read 3,001,675 times

Advertisements

I had a first date on Friday with someone I had been facebook friends with for a few years but never met (we had started talking on the phone, really hit it off). It was like a "10", and the entire time he was talking about places we should try, places we should go together, we closed the restaurant ... and then he called me the next day (I was leaving town for 2 days) and he told me to let him know as soon as I made it back. And he had followed up on all kinds of things we had talked about, places, people, ... he had charted my trip and had suggestions for the route I should take, ... and kept talking about events in town generally ("oh there's this thing every summer") and I was like "great"!

Then last night I texted him that I was home from my trip and he said (texted) to call if I was up for it, if not another night. And I called and it was a good conversation, but no future plans, no places in town, no summer events, just a run through of what was going on .... It was somewhat distant ... I don't know what I possibly could have done wrong, there's no way I came off as too pushy, and he also couldn't be interpreting me as not interested because I followed through, called him back Saturday and last night ... and I know he was interested, his face lit up when he first saw me ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 05:04 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
Assuming you have a face-to-face relationship, I think a key positive sign to look for is if he thinks about you when you're not in front of his face.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:20 AM

11,393 posts, read 24,436,628 times
Relax. It seems to me that too many people get waaaaayyyyyy toooooooooo worked up over these first few dates and totally blow it.

Don't txt or call unless he does it first.. Allow yourself to be a slight mystery. Don't over share. Let him make the next few moves. You already know you are interested. Give him SPACE to reciprocate.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 AM

822 posts, read 3,001,675 times
thank you, that's what I need to hear ...!!!!!!!

(but I also didn't want him to think I wasn't interested, because he has his own insecurities, but clearly since our date I've returned his calls and followed through ...)

Old 06-12-2012, 09:42 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Don't txt or call unless he does it first.. Allow yourself to be a slight mystery. Don't over share. Let him make the next few moves. You already know you are interested. Give him SPACE to reciprocate.
If you are talking about reciprocating, shouldn’t she also take him out? The whole “don’t call him, let him continue to look for you, make him beg…” ideology can backfire and simply send the message to a guy know that a girl is not interested in him since she doesn't call, doesn't text, etc. just sits there waiting for him to do something.

Why not simply be honest about the whole thing and if she/he wants to call, she/he will do it.

Last edited by onihC; 06-12-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,727,606 times
who knows

Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
If you are talking about reciprocating, shouldn’t she also take him out? The whole “don’t call him, let him continue to look for you, make him beg…” ideology can backfire and simply send the message to a guy know that a girl is not interested in him since she doesn't call, doesn't text, etc. just sits there waiting for him to do something.

Why not simply be honest about the whole thing and if she/he wants to call, she/he will do it.
Well there's clearly a right way of playing "hard to get" that doesn't send him/her adverse signals, but also doesn't give the farm away.

I think an early, balanced relationship needs that middle ground - when you feel as wanted, as you want him/her.

Seems that the OP was being a bit too easy/desperate in the beginning and that might've led to his pulling back a bit...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Relax. It seems to me that too many people get waaaaayyyyyy toooooooooo worked up over these first few dates and totally blow it.

Yep, guilty as charged! With my most recent ex-girlfriend, we met on a Saturday and talked all afternoon at a restaurant. Sparks were flying. Walked her to her car and kissed her (that just doesn't happen on a first meeting). By the following Wednesday, we were exclusive, changed facebook status, etc. It was insane. Well, fast forward 3 months and she ends it for no reason! I think part of it was we just went way too fast. However, I was still so into her. So it was a huge disappointment for me. Anyway, I don't know why, but thats the danger in getting too worked up too quickly. I won't do that again!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I'd just let it go. You called him back and chatted. I'd wait to see if he invites you to do something in the next week or so. Dating is really hard. It's tough not to play games and make your open and available, but to not come off as pushy or desperate. To not move too fast, but not go so slow that you end up wasting time on something that's not going anywhere (that just happened to me ugh). I know it's hard but just try to relax. Do the things you'd normally do and don't sit around waiting on him!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
I had a first date on Friday with someone I had been facebook friends with for a few years but never met (we had started talking on the phone, really hit it off). It was like a "10", and the entire time he was talking about places we should try, places we should go together, we closed the restaurant ... and then he called me the next day (I was leaving town for 2 days) and he told me to let him know as soon as I made it back. And he had followed up on all kinds of things we had talked about, places, people, ... he had charted my trip and had suggestions for the route I should take, ... and kept talking about events in town generally ("oh there's this thing every summer") and I was like "great"!

Then last night I texted him that I was home from my trip and he said (texted) to call if I was up for it, if not another night. And I called and it was a good conversation, but no future plans, no places in town, no summer events, just a run through of what was going on .... It was somewhat distant ... I don't know what I possibly could have done wrong, there's no way I came off as too pushy, and he also couldn't be interpreting me as not interested because I followed through, called him back Saturday and last night ... and I know he was interested, his face lit up when he first saw me ...
Let him make the next move.

What you wrote is telling me that he might be changing his mind. If so these things happen.

Don't worry about it. It doesn't appear you did anything wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships