Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM

90 posts, read 213,568 times

Advertisements

In light of all the critical media attention Jessica Simpson has been getting post pregnancy for not getting right back into shape fast enough, what do you guys think of post pregnancy bods. And yes I understand that some women look like their normal selves after baby. I'm talking about the majority of women who have stretch marks, bulging belly, etc. Can you still find your lady attractive even with all that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
I think it's nasty. I would never do that to my body.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Any woman I decide to have a child with will always be beautiful to me, regardless of a few cosmetic flaws.
That being said, I would do my best to encourage her to not "let herself go".

Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It's not easy to get back in shape after a pregnancy. My God, if your woman just produced the miracle of life inside her body, went through the excruciating pain of giving birth, not to mention the whole 9 months of morning sickness, back pain in the last trimester from hauling another human being around inside herself, and dealing with the cataclysmic hormonal changes that take place both during and after pregnancy, the least their SO's could do is cut them some slack! The fact that people harass women about getting back into shape is another subtle symptom of a misogynistic society. Women produce new life. Mod cut: Gender bashing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-15-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:38 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita82 View Post
In light of all the critical media attention Jessica Simpson has been getting post pregnancy for not getting right back into shape fast enough, what do you guys think of post pregnancy bods. And yes I understand that some women look like their normal selves after baby. I'm talking about the majority of women who have stretch marks, bulging belly, etc. Can you still find your lady attractive even with all that?
Jessica Simpson makes her living looking good, so she certainly deserves any criticism she gets. If you're a public entertainer, you can't really complain if people are bitching about you being fat.

Anyway, of course all the other stuff is "normal" after pregnancy, but a lot of women I've met use it as an excuse to get lazy and not take care of themselves anymore. There's a difference between inevitable changes to the body and being overweight because you're making excuses.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
There's no excuse to let yourself go during pregnancy. Women who gain 50 pounds during pregnancy are obviously stuffing themselves and will have a ton of excess weight to lose after giving birth. That's all on them. They are responsible for not ballooning into a Beluga while pregnant.

Women who care about their bodies, their looks and their health will have essentially the same body after pregnancy than they do before (after 6 weeks of dieting to lose baby weight). There are plenty of examples of this and it's not restricted just to celebrities like Angelina Jolie or people like that.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not easy to get back in shape after a pregnancy. My God, if your woman just produced the miracle of life inside her body, went through the excruciating pain of giving birth, not to mention the whole 9 months of morning sickness, back pain in the last trimester from hauling another human being around inside herself, and dealing with the cataclysmic hormonal changes that take place both during and after pregnancy, the least their SO's could do is cut them some slack! The fact that people harass women about getting back into shape is another subtle symptom of a misogynistic society. Women produce new life. Mod cut: Gender bashing.
I totally agree and I'm a guy.

There should be no pressure from the man for the woman to get into any sort of shape. If she wants to lose weight, trim down, whatever, she should do it for herself and not for someone else and not because someone else wants her to do it. The only time I could see a guy stepping in is if it is affecting her health, for example, can't climb 3 steps without wheezing and being out of breath.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-15-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 02:06 PM

442 posts, read 615,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
There's no excuse to let yourself go during pregnancy. Women who gain 50 pounds during pregnancy are obviously stuffing themselves and will have a ton of excess weight to lose after giving birth. That's all on them. They are responsible for not ballooning into a Beluga while pregnant.

Women who care about their bodies, their looks and their health will have essentially the same body after pregnancy than they do before (after 6 weeks of dieting to lose baby weight). There are plenty of examples of this and it's not restricted just to celebrities like Angelina Jolie or people like that.
Getting your body back is not strictly about weight gain. Some women won't get their stomach to look the same after childbirth despite being the same weight. Short of plastic surgery what should they do?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
Getting your body back is not strictly about weight gain. Some women won't get their stomach to look the same after childbirth despite being the same weight. Short of plastic surgery what should they do?
Move to a country that doesn't objectify women as much.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 PM

442 posts, read 615,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Move to a country that doesn't objectify women as much.
That would be one solution. I think that some women just have better genes than others as far as getting saggy skin and stretch marks.

I had 2 c-sections which sort of changed the area a little as well. Unless I'd get a tummy tuck, no amount of exercise can change that area.

I think if men want to be truly supportive, they would happily offer to watch the baby so mom can have alone time and exercise. Chipping in and cooking a healthy meal wouldn't hurt. It is surprising the amount of men that get put out by a woman wanting to exercise without bringing baby along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships