Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times

Advertisements

You can introduce anyone as a friend. Maybe even have a couple family dates like miniature golf, movies, or an amusement park. I wouldn't introduce anyone as a prospective partner until we were pretty sure it was going to last a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I have children and completely disagree with a casual introduction of your date. Talk about confusing the child. Children process information different and what seems logical to an adult can seem very upsetting for a child.
I am not sure what is confusing. After my divorce I often went out in the evening, with friends, some male, some female. They were all introduced similarly when they came to the house to pick me up... as "this is my friend Brenda," "this is my friend Dan."

My daughters were 8 and 13 when I started having a social life again after divorce. Sometimes they would tease me about a male friend, but I would always say that we were only friends, not BF/GF. Because it was true.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
All of these replies are great, and very helpful. I see a wide range of answers, but because most of you have explained WHY you answered that way, they are very helpful. Ultimately, I will take it all in and come up with what is right for me and my daughter. Please keep it coming, and THANK YOU.

If it is SOLELY dependent on the age, then just let me know what age to flip the switch. (Not to dissect your answer, but nothing happens in a vacuum. As others have said, it depends on a LOT of things. I appreciate the response, but ultimately I'm going to have to weigh age (and maturity) of child, along with other things including some which have already been stated, and some which are hopefully yet to be stated.)

:
Basically, I'd say anywhere under age 13-14 would be the most cautious with. My mother had a couple of LTR's at ages 14 and 17 where I did have a small relationship with her SOs. When those LTRs broke down, it was like kinda whatever for me. I would think it would be less devastating for a child at that older age if things go South.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am not sure what is confusing. After my divorce I often went out in the evening, with friends, some male, some female. They were all introduced similarly when they came to the house to pick me up... as "this is my friend Brenda," "this is my friend Dan."

My daughters were 8 and 13 when I started having a social life again after divorce. Sometimes they would tease me about a male friend, but I would always say that we were only friends, not BF/GF. Because it was true.
I'll chime in here, because your question is very valid, but I know (as OP) why I asked. The thing is that just like every child is different, so is every adult. The way we interact, date, "friend" and everything else is different.

What you suggest is ideally what I would like to do, and what I have thought of a lot. The problem is that if I go out to a ballgame, or mini golf or "whatever", then within one or two outings, it will be very apparent to my child that one person is special. I tend to show a lot of attention, and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?), it's who I am, and can't turn it off.

This is why I am so appreciative of ALL of the answers. I intend to take it all in, and use what I can to formulate an opinion based on all the people involved.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,022,987 times
I wouldn't introduce unless it got serious.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Do whatever it takes to protect your child from any hurt over this, and whatever you do don't use him as the "new father",or allow your son to think that, even if his biological father is out of the picture. The child must know and deeply believe through your actions that they will always be No.1 in your life (until they have grandchildren, at which time, they start slipping as the grand kids fill up your life again).

Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
How about the day before you two get married? That's what happened to my wife. We met her father's new wife and family the day before they got married, 20 years ago. Needless to say, my wife doesn't have a good relationship with her or her family, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:48 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,788 times
Looks to me as OP has ALL the anwsers and just wants to argue... I'm out...

Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
How about the day before you two get married? That's what happened to my wife. We met her father's new wife and family the day before they got married, 20 years ago. Needless to say, my wife doesn't have a good relationship with her or her family, so I wouldn't recommend it.
I don't think this thread is referring to adult children.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM

331 posts, read 603,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I thought SO meant "significant" other. If they are "significant" then they should be introduced or somehow have met already. In my opinion if they haven't met the kids then they don't qualify as an SO.

After my divorce, when I dated, I did not go out of my way to hide my kids from women I was dating or vice versa. But I made it clear to women that I was dating, that around the kids we were just friends. No hand holding, no kissing, nothing. This way they got to meet my kids and my kids go to meet them.

If you wait until they become "significant" before the two meet there could be tough decisions if the meeting doesn't go as planned.

^^ I agree!

Introduce as friends first, then let them have ice cream with the two of you, or do putt putt or similar, to spend little bits of time allowing for interaction. Nothing would be worse than falling in love with someone and then she and your daughter don't get along. It is also important to lay down "ground rules" to this woman before meeting your daughter(ie: we are "friends", no physical touching, etc.) This also teaches a future lesson of the "friends first" rule of getting to know someone before they become gf/bf/so!!

Best of wishes, OP!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships