Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,049 times

Advertisements

I think I have that now in Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You should shoot to live somewhere with 500K+ population if you're single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM

yep, the same on POF and others. I tried OKC I think last year, went on one coffee and never heard from the guy again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This isn't asking for much. Sad that something so basic is so hard to find.

Someone posted that they found a guy through Match.com and had an affair that lasted about 2 months, and after that, he disappeared. I've heard a lot of stories like that about Match. The guys go on there just to play women. They get what they want, then move on to the next woman. Either that, or you get businessmen who don't have time for a relationship. They want to find something quickly and easily, but they're not around enough to maintain a relationship.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
No, I live in Denver. Not rural at all. I don't think I'm picky, per se, but there are things I don't want.
Well geography will determine the types of available guys in your local dating pool. I prefer intellectual New England types, so MA is perfect for me. And even though my bf is originally from FL, he was wanting to move to a city like Boston.

I'd think that in Denver, the men would tend to be outdoorsy types and enjoy hiking and snow sports.

What kind of guy are you looking for to be your bf?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Boston's a great town! I loved it there. Too expensive for me to live, however. I don't mind doing outdoorsy things. I'm looking for outgoing, energetic, someone who enjoys being with me, likes sports. I don't have extremely high standards. That's why I wondered if more a mid-western type guy would be more family minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well geography will determine the types of available guys in your local dating pool. I prefer intellectual New England types, so MA is perfect for me. And even though my bf is originally from FL, he was wanting to move to a city like Boston.

I'd think that in Denver, the men would tend to be outdoorsy types and enjoy hiking and snow sports.

What kind of guy are you looking for to be your bf?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
doesn't matter where you move. mostly men today are looking for fool around situations/FWB or anything that doesn't force them to commit to one person. they will just move on to the ones that don't want a serious thing.
This is simply not true. I want very much to be in a serious relationship, but at the same time I'm not going to settle for 2nd best. Me personally, I don't like casual sex because I see sex as a beautiful act between two kindred spirits, not as, to quote A Clockwork Orange, "The ol' in-out in-out." I take that attitude into casual encounters, and it tends to get me into trouble; the last one-night-stand I had told me she loved me the next morning, then called me a week later asking if she could move in with me (true story). Most men I've found are like me as well; my roommate and I talk about this all the time. It seems like most men are yearning to meet their soulmate, but too few ever talk about it. I sure don't, because I don't want to come across as desperate and I don't want to jinx myself.

Getting back to the subject at hand. I moved to Virginia from California for a woman. I never even met the girl, but I've been here for 12 years. Since I moved here I've also lived in DC and in Syracuse, NY. DC is full of women trying to get their MRS, but most of them are looking for a man with money. DC is the only place where I had a rather prolific single life, but I was such a negative person I couldn't see how good I had it. Syracuse, on the other hand, are full of men and women that end up marrying their high school sweethearts or otherwise end up marrying young. The young adults that aren't married are usually SU or LeMoyne students. In conclusion, there are pros and cons to moving, but you shouldn't do it for love. Do it for a career or change of scenery, but never do it for love; love finds you, not the other way around.

Last edited by jzcrandall; 06-21-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 PM

very good points. I know there's no guarantees either way. I just wondered if it was a geographic possibility that some men are more inclined to want to be in relationships that are long term in other cities, like in the mid-west for example.
I'm not the one night stand type, and if I had one I wouldn't say "I love you" or want to move in, etc. I just wish there weren't games and mixed signals involved. I wich guys didn't think of women who are a certain age or career or the way she carries herself as a judge of her character or what she wants out of life..for example a guy could think: "she's over 30, so she must be desparate to marry", or "she's independent-has a job, car, money, so she must not need me or want to be any man at all, ever", or "if I have coffee with her, she'll want to marry me right away, so I better not even ask her out" or "she mentioned kids, so I better steer waaaaaaayyyy clear of her"

the mind games are so annoying. I wish we could just be ourselves and enjoy each other's company, if we like each other, great, if not, move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
This is simply not true. I want very much to be in a serious relationship, but at the same time I'm not going to settle for 2nd best. Me personally, I don't like casual sex because I see sex as a beautiful act between two kindred spirits, not as, to quote A Clockwork Orange, "The ol' in-out in-out." I take that attitude into casual encounters, and it tends to get me into trouble; the last one-night-stand I had told me she loved me the next morning, then called me a week later asking if she could move in with me (true story). Most men I've found are like me as well; my roommate and I talk about this all the time. It seems like most men are yearning to meet their soulmate, but too few ever talk about it. I sure don't, because I don't want to come across as desperate and I don't want to jinx myself.

Getting back to the subject at hand. I moved to Virginia from California for a woman. I never even met the girl, but I've been here for 12 years. Since I moved here I've also lived in DC and in Syracuse, NY. DC is full of women trying to get their MRS, but most of them are looking for a man with money. DC is the only place where I had a rather prolific single life, but I was such a negative person I couldn't see how good I had it. Syracuse, on the other hand, are full of men and women that end up marrying their high school sweethearts or otherwise end up marrying young. The young adults that aren't married are usually SU or LeMoyne students. In conclusion, there are pros and cons to moving, but you shouldn't do it for love. Do it for a career or change of scenery, but never do it for love; love finds you, not the other way around.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,727,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post

So? Suddenly it's 'simply not true' because you're in the small percentage of men (I don't know your age) that don't want FWB or hook ups as a replacement for relationships? Still, doesn't change that majority of the ones I came across are only interested in the latter and I'm not the only woman on here to say they've experienced this. Now I can see the older ones being more like you, but sorry, not the 20s, 30s.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
So? Suddenly it's 'simply not true' because you're in the small percentage of men (I don't know your age) that don't want FWB or hook ups as a replacement for relationships? Still, doesn't change that majority of the ones I came across are only interested in the latter and I'm not the only woman on here to say they've experienced this. Now I can see the older ones being more like you, but sorry, not the 20s, 30s.
What percentage of men don't want FWB or hook ups? I see a lot of men out there in relationships or looking for them.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 PM

227 posts, read 464,792 times
Doll Eyes has a problem with making very wide broad based assumptions about the humans species in general, males specifically as her track record indicates, so toss the salt shaker a few times with her advice

Old 06-22-2012, 06:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I'm convinced that the men where I live are just not looking for long term relationships. I'm tired of being single and alone. I've tried online dating, speed dating, meet ups, etc to try to meet eligible, single men here to no avail.
I don't know if I'd have better luck in a different city? Is it a geographic thing? Are there cities where the men are more likely to want relationships and families? I don't have any ties here, so it wouldn't be a big deal to leave.
Any insight on this? or am I just non-dateable?
Hey young lady! How have you been? I sometimes wonder if you arent too picky? Youre beautiful. Youre smart. You like sports. All things that tell me men should be fighting to be with you. Are you sure you arent pushing the right guys away somehow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships