Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 PM

83 posts, read 435,411 times

Advertisements

Westerner, I've found your analysis to be the most level headed explanation of this trend.

But before I give you too much praise, I will say that you should be careful about dismissing claims of heightened racism amongst gay men, especially if you are part if the dominant, unaffected group. Because you really will never experience what it's like to be gay and black and the challenges that entails in a city like Austin.

Yeah, you'll get old and face discrimination, but that really isn't the same. Dont be so quick to write off racism; especially when you're not in a position to know what it really is.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
Westerner, I've found your analysis to be the most level headed explanation of this trend.

But before I give you too much praise, I will say that you should be careful about dismissing claims of heightened racism amongst gay men, especially if you are part if the dominant, unaffected group. Because you really will never experience what it's like to be gay and black and the challenges that entails in a city like Austin.

Yeah, you'll get old and face discrimination, but that really isn't the same. Dont be so quick to write off racism; especially when you're not in a position to know what it really is.
Fair enough. I wouldn't say I'm part of the group being accused of racism necessarily since I don't participate in what might be considered the gay "community," but it could be argued that I'm just as close, or maybe even closer, to the situation at hand than you since I have direct (although brief) experience.

Just as you say to be careful to dismiss claims of racism, the same carefulness should be applied to making claims of racism, since I highly doubt you're part of the group being accused, no? Sorry, but I find generalizing a group that's already highly discriminated against of being discriminatory, then telling them to be careful when attempting to refute such a generalization to be just a little ironic.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I've had a lot of gay black men tell me about overt racism in the gay community, almost like gay men feel they have carte blanche to voice sentiments about black men that others never would because they are gay. And frankly I've seen it among my non-black gay male friends, so I don't doubt them.
This ^^^

Old 06-30-2012, 06:37 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
And note, I'm not trying to suggest that gay men are more racist than straight people...only that (and I base this statement off the many non-black gay men I know, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc.) I feel that many almost feel comfortable espousing sentiments that would strike many as overtly racist, and act like being a part of a discriminated group almost gives them license in this regard. Same with the fact that many have progressive views, so they feel that this gives them a "shield" of sorts.

Like I've had a discussion with some of my gay male friends about black men and interracial dating, and two of them literally said "ew" and "yuck" with reference to black men. Now I know plenty of straight women who are not terribly interested in black men (I would assume from either never having dated them or them stating an overt preference for a certain ethnicity), but I've never once heard anything like that leave the lips of a straight woman in reference to colored men.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
To be totally blunt, I don't think anyone who is HIV positive should even be in a sexual relationship. Even if they take measures of 'prevention' which aren't 100.0% effective all of the time.
Nice try, but SO many HIV transmissions these days occur from people who don't even know they have it.

FYI- I'll take having protected sex with a poz guy who's on medication to lower his viral load than risky sex with a perceived 'neg' guy who probably hooks up with random dudes on Grindr every night.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
And note, I'm not trying to suggest that gay men are more racist than straight people...only that (and I base this statement off the many non-black gay men I know, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc.) I feel that many almost feel comfortable espousing sentiments that would strike many as overtly racist, and act like being a part of a discriminated group almost gives them license in this regard. Same with the fact that many have progressive views, so they feel that this gives them a "shield" of sorts.

Like I've had a discussion with some of my gay male friends about black men and interracial dating, and two of them literally said "ew" and "yuck" with reference to black men. Now I know plenty of straight women who are not terribly interested in black men (I would assume from either never having dated them or them stating an overt preference for a certain ethnicity), but I've never once heard anything like that leave the lips of a straight woman in reference to colored men.
Why do you personally know so many racist individuals?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Well I'm not a gay man of color, but at my last place of employment, my assistant was. And although we worked together for about 2 months, he would complain on a daily basis on how he hadn't been in a relationship for over 2 years and how he wanted love.

Like you stated, most of the men he dated were of a different ethnic background. He also was HIV+, so that could have been another reason why he was having difficulty dating.
I just spoke with my friend (whom this post was about) and found out he got engaged! Good for him. There IS someone for everyone out there.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
I have to make this point:

I am not denying that gay men of color may face difficulties that their white brethren may not face. But it is very subjective.

Sexual preferences know no color or creed. I have many gay black friends (as well as Asians and Latinos) that only want to date white guys. They refuse to date anyone of their own race. I fail to see how minorities only wanting to date whites is different than whites only wanting to date their own race. And why whites usually are singled out in the gay community for racism when it is often simply sexual preference and not blatant discrimination.

Also, if you are truly comfortable in yourself and who you are, you will be open to dating anybody and NOT complain of discrimination when it comes to dating (unless it is obliterate racism that doesn't have to do with sex). Complaining is SUCH a turn off, don't you think? Snap out of it!

If you truly feel that all races are equal and deserve equal affection.... why should it matter if a white guy denies you? What makes dating a white guy so special and worth crying about?

One of my friends refused to date other black men, and now he's with the love of his life who's also black and they are beautiful together.

Please think about this before you respond.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I have to make this point:

I am not denying that gay men of color may face difficulties that their white brethren may not face. But it is very subjective.

Sexual preferences know no color or creed. I have many gay black friends (as well as Asians and Latinos) that only want to date white guys. They refuse to date anyone of their own race. I fail to see how minorities only wanting to date whites is different than whites only wanting to date their own race.

Also, if you are truly comfortable in yourself and who you are, you will be open to dating anybody and NOT complain of discrimination when it comes to dating (unless it is obliterate racism).

If you truly feel that all races are equal and deserve equal affection.... why should it matter if a white guy denies you? What makes dating a white guy so special?

Please think about this before you respond.
That's pretty said and most definitely a form of self-hatred.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Why do you personally know so many racist individuals?
Because I know so many individuals, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships