Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,634,571 times

Advertisements

So you're telling me that men who bake, dress nice, have manners, act like a gentleman, and take care of themselves are gay.

By that account, the vast majority of men in this country have historically been gay.

Let's not forget that men in the US have historically been very metro and behaved in a classy manner. It was only until the 1960s and 1970s, with the new generation rebelling against the traditional norms of the older generation, that the whole perception emerged that men who were "feminine" (in terms of metro behavior) were somehow awkward or "not normal."

If you thought that guy was feminine, just think how your great-great grandfather's were like. He probably wore a suit on most days*, used those "fruity" hair products (pomade, etc), etc.

*cause you know, real men wear AC/DC shirts, distressed jeans, and beat up shoes. It's in the man bible. *sigh* (I'm just gonna blame the south and those stupid rednecks for this idea that people who dress nice are gay.)

Last edited by tonym9428; 06-29-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,135,741 times
Even effeminate mannerisms aren't necessarily a sign of gayness, and they are probably mostly unconscious. The guy doesn't know he's doing it. I remember when I was younger, my girlfriend used to laugh whenever I drank tea - that's because unknowingly I was extending my pinky when I raised the cup, much like a society lady with good manners.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,757,242 times
LOL I think I started a thread just like this over a year ago when I went out with a man that seemed really fem. I let him kiss me goodnight more out of curiosity than anything but I knew I'd never be going out with him again--I'd just gotten out of a long marriage when my husband came out gay so no way was I going to embarrass myself like that. Then I found out that this same man had stalked one of my female friends and gone out with another one of our friends where he spent the whole time talking about the one he stalked! So, maybe not gay, but def crazy.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,089,681 times
It isn't that he cooks, dresses nice, and acts like a gentleman. It is a quality about him. I went on a date with another guy who told me he only wears suits and loafers, he loves to cook, he's a neat freak, acted like a gentleman, but it never crossed my mind he might be gay. I have absolutely nothing against gay people. I really think someone is born gay. But haven't you ever met someone and your first thought is oh yeah they are gay. There's just something about them that gives you that impression? I know know exactly how to explain, but hopefully some of you know what I mean.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,946,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
It isn't that he cooks, dresses nice, and acts like a gentleman. It is a quality about him. I went on a date with another guy who told me he only wears suits and loafers, he loves to cook, he's a neat freak, acted like a gentleman, but it never crossed my mind he might be gay. I have absolutely nothing against gay people. I really think someone is born gay. But haven't you ever met someone and your first thought is oh yeah they are gay. There's just something about them that gives you that impression? I know know exactly how to explain, but hopefully some of you know what I mean.
Exactly what you mean!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:40 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,498,187 times
Quote:
Oh no - I didn't meet him on CD, I met him on match.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the baking. Of course lots of men cook and bake which is awesome! It doesn't have anything to do with cookies...it really is just his manner.
Describe his manner.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Which quality? Wearing suits and loafers means he is gay? how?
Being neat does not mean you are gay.

It is second nature to think he might be gay but you really can't assume until your know for sure from him.

If a guy owns a salon shop, does that mean he is gay? No!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:46 PM

In other countries, guys can be holding hands and kissing each her on cheeks, this does not mean they are gay.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,757,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Which quality? Wearing suits and loafers means he is gay? how?
Being neat does not mean you are gay.

It is second nature to think he might be gay but you really can't assume until your know for sure from him.

If a guy owns a salon shop, does that mean he is gay? No!
You've seen it I'm sure and it's an indefinable thing but you just know it when you see it. It has definitely opened my horizons though and made me realize that there's just no way that you can know whether someone is gay unless they choose to tell you so and even then they might be lying. There is almost no quality that a gay person can have that a straight person hasn't also shown and there is no way that I will ever believe that gays choose to be so.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,388,962 times
I'm a very feminine guy...about as feminine as you can get. If you're not into him, don't pursue it. Perhaps he's happy that way and doesn't feel the need to be a "man's man" only interested in beer, sports and discussing only non-emotional matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships