Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,418,369 times

Advertisements

Mostly the GW thing...but that's ok, we can disagree on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,082,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
So what exactly is a feminine man?
Are you being obtuse on purpose? What exactly about this thread seems to have offended you so much? No one is insulting gay men or even more feminine guys, especially not me. Everyone else seems to understand what I mean when I say the first thought that popped into my head when I met this guy was "Is he gay" because of his mannerisms, the way he talked, and the general way he moved. It isn't something I can explain, but it's something I'm sure everyone has encountered. Does it mean he's gay? Nope. He may be as hetero as they come...I don't know. That's why I posted the question - for discussion.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,082,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
So what exactly is a feminine man?
Are you being obtuse on purpose? What exactly about this thread seems to have offended you so much? No one is insulting gay men or even more feminine guys, especially not me. Everyone else seems to understand what I mean when I say the first thought that popped into my head when I met this guy was "Is he gay" because of his mannerisms, the way he talked, and the general way he moved. It isn't something I can explain, but it's something I'm sure everyone has encountered. Does it mean he's gay? Nope. He may be as hetero as they come...I don't know. That's why I posted the question - for discussion.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,707,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post

I been around gay men most of my adult life and agree with you, there is a clear difference in most of their mannerisms compared to straight men. anyone that says there isn't, is full of it. If you know gay men personally even they will admit they're mannerisms/flamboyance, flicks of wrists, body language much more closely resembles women then it does men. Why do you think it is when certain celebrities finally "come out of the closet" people are not 'shocked?' Because they have already suspected this due to the previously discussed traits.....On the flip side i have met a handful of gay men who do not have those kind of feminine mannerisms and are very masculine.

anyway, as for your question. I think mostly everyone knows what you're talking about here. Personally I wouldn't be attracted to a very feminine, soft man. That is just not for me. I have a strong/quiet personality and would feel too much like the 'man.' although some men are cute with certain androgynous type qualities. if you don't have a problem with his mannerisms and things of that nature, then why not.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,868,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I been around gay men most of my adult life and agree with you, there is a clear difference in most of their mannerisms compared to straight men. anyone that says there isn't, is full of it. If you know gay men personally even they will admit they're mannerisms/flamboyance, flicks of wrists, body language much more closely resembles women then it does men. Why do you think it is when certain celebrities finally "come out of the closet" people are not 'shocked?' Because they have already suspected this due to the previously discussed traits.....On the flip side i have met a handful of gay men who do not have those kind of feminine mannerisms and are very masculine.

anyway, as for your question. I think mostly everyone knows what you're talking about here. Personally I wouldn't be attracted to a very feminine, soft man. That is just not for me. I have a strong/quiet personality and would feel too much like the 'man.' although some men are cute with certain androgynous type qualities. if you don't have a problem with his mannerisms and things of that nature, then why not.
Yes I actually think with a sizable percentage, maybe most, they do just seem different, their acting, behaviour. I know it's not PC to say so, and I know it's a 'generalization', but that doesn't make it untrue. Part of it may be because their brains are a bit more 'feminine', part of may be socialization in the gay community (for instance the gay 'accent').

Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,385,062 times
Sexuality and gender are two very separate things. Many gay men are completely and utterly masculine. In other words, do not assume that an effeminate man is gay.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,850,308 times
hahahaha maybe you can share pants with this guy

Old 06-30-2012, 03:17 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,707,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes I actually think with a sizable percentage, maybe most, they do just seem different, their acting, behaviour. I know it's not PC to say so, and I know it's a 'generalization', but that doesn't make it untrue. Part of it may be because their brains are a bit more 'feminine', part of may be socialization in the gay community (for instance the gay 'accent').

for this particular situation, I don't even know why it's "wrong" in the first place to say these things are accurate. I don't know why they would takes offense to this, I don't think it's a bad thing; is it b/c even gay men do not want to seem "unmanly" or whatever.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:56 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,196,242 times
Quote:
I don't know how to explain it. He's just very proper. He likes to bake cookies. It's in his mannerisms and the way he talks. It's more than just dressing well, it's in the way he moves. Haven't you ever met someone and thought yep, they're gay...but maybe he's really not. I really prefer more rugged kind of guys normally. Ones who fix things and watch sports...I don't know. I don't want to get into stereotypes and gender roles.
Are u sure that hes not really just gay? And im not being mean..I have no problem with gays/lesbians. Gay men are quite fun. But, some times the person has not really allowed themselves to be true to what they feel, and try to 'fit in'. You see people who have gotten married and had kids, only later to admit they were gay. Just wondering..

Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,196,242 times
Quote:
It isn't that he cooks, dresses nice, and acts like a gentleman. It is a quality about him. I went on a date with another guy who told me he only wears suits and loafers, he loves to cook, he's a neat freak, acted like a gentleman, but it never crossed my mind he might be gay. I have absolutely nothing against gay people. I really think someone is born gay. But haven't you ever met someone and your first thought is oh yeah they are gay. There's just something about them that gives you that impression? I know know exactly how to explain, but hopefully some of you know what I mean.
Yes Kiwi..i know what you mean. And yes I have run into people like that. Follow your intuition, because It doesnt sound like he's going to be your type even if he is as straight as..... John Travolta.

Opps....wrong example
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships