Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No this thread is not about women having bad grammar, but since I've signed up for OKC and POF I have noticed there is a certain % of women who have horrible grammar. I don't mean to say saying things like "ur" "u" and that kind of stuff, I'm talking complete errors in verb conjugation, wrong verbs, horrible tenses etc etc... I just find it strange to see this. I didn't see it in my current state, but I did notice it in Kansas.

This is really beyond me, I don't understand how anyone whose native language is English can make such errors. Their messages and text literally looked like it was an African scam. Has anybody come across this?

Oh, this isn't a thread about women having bad grammar but obviously I'm not talking to dudes on those websites besides gay guys that decide to send me messages. Women are more than welcome to add to the thread if you've seen it also!

This isn't about abbreviations or "talkin lyk dis", I'm talking a clear non-understanding of English.
Um, are you looking in the mirror, perhaps?

Please reread the highlighted paragraphs above . . .you have a run-on sentence, off the bat - a confusion of tenses in the next sentence - an allusion to something truly absurd . . . I can't even name the error in the last sentence of the first highlighted paragraph - I think its a tense confusion error . . .I honestly don't know what the error is, but there is an error . . .

Then in the next paragraph you start out with a nice run-on sentence again . . .

You're kidding, right?

Your sentence structure and grammar is atrocious.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

Please reread the highlighted paragraphs above . . .you have a run-on sentence, off the bat - a confusion of tenses in the next sentence - an allusion to something truly absurd . . . I can't even name the error in the last sentence of the first highlighted paragraph - I think its a tense confusion error . . .I honestly don't know what the error is, but there is an error . . .

Then in the next paragraph you start out with a nice run-on sentence again . . .

You're kidding, right?

Please stop abusing the ellipsis.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

You're kidding, right?

My first sentence isn't a run on. There is no verb error in my second sentence.

Darn.. I have a run on in the next paragraph. I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about errors that are HUGE mistakes that someone who doesn't speak English as a first language would make.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL! Is this why English teachers don't teach grammar in school? Because they don't know it themselves?
Well, I'm an English teacher, in addition to being certified in special education, and I do teach grammar. The above duo teach early childhood and have no particular credentials. A common refrain from teachers who cannot spell, punctuate, or construct coherent sentences, I've noticed, is, "Well, sorry, but I didn't major in ENGLISH."

I always have to wonder if it then follows that since I didn't major in math, I shouldn't be expected to be able to tell time, count change, add in my head, or grasp any other basic numeric concept.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
I'm not a Grammar Nazi to other people, b/c I have some LD myself. I use a lot of abbreviations because I type ALL day long and I get tired of it by the time I'm on my own time....Anyways, as long as I can understand what someone is saying and it's not totally off the wall, bigger fish to fry.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
You get what you pay for, and in this case you didn't pay anything so..

Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I'm not a Grammar Nazi to other people, b/c I have some LD myself. I use a lot of abbreviations because I type ALL day long and I get tired of it by the time I'm on my own time....Anyways, as long as I can understand what someone is saying and it's not totally off the wall, bigger fish to fry.

I thought I made it pretty clear I wasn't being a grammar nazi, but people like imcurious have to take offense to everything. I was talking about things that were HUGE mistakes, there are errors I can't believe are made just in regular conversation. I could see what you mean about not being a grammar nazi, it's normal for people to make little mistakes, can't nit-pick.

If someone is seriously lame enough to make a big deal about a run on sentence on a C-D forum, well that's not really my problem.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
My friend who uses online dating won't reply to guys who have bad grammar or can't spell.

Not talking about a rare typo, but persistent errors.

She also said it's amazing how many people misspell her name, which is Tracey. She says, Why would I date you if you can't get my name right??

Poor language skills are like bad teeth. They can stop you at the door, whether it's a date or a job.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
My friend who uses online dating won't reply to guys who have bad grammar or can't spell.

Not talking about a rare typo, but persistent errors.

She also said it's amazing how many people misspell her name, which is Tracey. She says, Why would I date you if you can't get my name right??

Poor language skills are like bad teeth. They can stop you at the door, whether it's a date or a job.

I just can't believe some of these grammatical errors that are made. I don't have examples off the top of my head but some of them look worse than the girls I dated in Miami who barely spoke English haha

Have you ever seen what I'm talking about or did you just hear stories from your friend?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I thought I made it pretty clear I wasn't being a grammar nazi, but people like imcurious have to take offense to everything. I was talking about things that were HUGE mistakes, there are errors I can't believe are made just in regular conversation.

If someone is seriously lame enough to make a big deal about a run on sentence on a C-D forum, well that's not really my problem.

Yes, I understand what you meant/read the OP. don't pay any attention to imcurious anyways.... Just expressing my 2 cents on the matter. Again, yes people make major mistakes and errors in grammar. more times then not people do not know I am LD, so maybe they have some kind of issue like that for all I know. For example: I have heard people make fun of someone's spelling -- and that person was dyslexic. I do read A LOT, so I understand what you're saying and why it's off putting on a dating site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships