Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Um, are you looking in the mirror, perhaps?

Please reread the highlighted paragraphs above . . .you have a run-on sentence, off the bat - a confusion of tenses in the next sentence - an allusion to something truly absurd . . . I can't even name the error in the last sentence of the first highlighted paragraph - I think its a tense confusion error . . .I honestly don't know what the error is, but there is an error . . .

Then in the next paragraph you start out with a nice run-on sentence again . . .

You're kidding, right?

Your sentence structure and grammar is atrocious.
Was this meant as sarcasm? Seriously, I won't be able to sleep now, until this mystery is solved.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
"No this thread is not about women having bad grammar, but since I've signed up for OKC and POF I have noticed there is a certain % of women who have horrible grammar."

I spotted two run-on sentences . . .the first sentence of your post was a run-on (above), then whatever I quoted in the second paragraph I cited.)

I am not a grammar Nazi, although I do notice . . . BUT the irony of you starting a thread about "women and grammar" and then going on use truly horrible sentence structure and grammar, could simply not be ignored.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
The trend towards shameful syntax will continue, as long as teachers continue to pass students who can't correctly diagram a sentence .

Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
"No this thread is not about women having bad grammar, but since I've signed up for OKC and POF I have noticed there is a certain % of women who have horrible grammar."

I spotted two run-on sentences . . .the first sentence of your post was a run-on (above), then whatever I quoted in the second paragraph I cited.)

I am not a grammar Nazi, although I do notice . . . BUT the irony of you starting a thread about "women and grammar" and then going on use truly horrible sentence structure and grammar, could simply not be ignored.
My run on could have been corrected with a semi-colon, sorry for not using a semi-colon on CD. You should really work on your comprehension skills, I said the thread is NOT about women and grammar. Good lord woman. You really don't have a life , do you?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Lol He meant sentences like this. Which my Philippine friend typed like. "She had no water to fill his bucket up in."

And yes I know my sentences aren't the greatest.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
My run on could have been corrected with a semi-colon, sorry for not using a semi-colon on CD. You should really work on your comprehension skills, I said the thread is NOT about women and grammar. Good lord woman. You really don't have a life , do you?
Another run-on . . .you're out-of-control!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Quote:
Another run-on . . .you're out-of-control!
lol Period after skills!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM

I LOVE that you are back-peddling now. You name the thread "Women and poor grammar," then you go on to say that the thread is NOT about women and poor grammar, however, you have noticed that "a certain percentage of women . . . have horrible grammar."

So, which is it?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,878 times
If this worries you, you must really get a life. Grammer doesn't pay the bills unless you are a teacher who can't make it in the world and has to take out their frustrations on kids who don't/can't cuss them back.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I thought I made it pretty clear I wasn't being a grammar nazi, but people like imcurious have to take offense to everything. I was talking about things that were HUGE mistakes, there are errors I can't believe are made just in regular conversation. I could see what you mean about not being a grammar nazi, it's normal for people to make little mistakes, can't nit-pick.

If someone is seriously lame enough to make a big deal about a run on sentence on a C-D forum, well that's not really my problem.
I'm a recovering English major and work as an editor. I notice EVERY error in a personal ad. But really? I don't care about that as long as the guy is expressing himself clearly. The ex-biker I dated could not spell to save his life: His typos were epic, and playing Scrabble with him was, well, rather epic. My best friend still cracks up over the day he tried to spell "phallus" as "fallis." However, he had a vast vocabulary and a genius-level IQ. Being with him taught me to look at the thoughts expressed, not the punctuation or even necessarily the grammar.

Also, I'm from Jersey - not a place known for its impeccable language. Good lord, my favorite auntie uses the word "youse" on a regular basis. And my grammar dives off a cliff when I'm not working. It's just what happens when I relax.

However, if these chicks aren't even making sense, then I think you have every right to just pass them by. Don't you teach English for a living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships