Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman45 View Post
I can live closer to the city and keep the job, but probably couldn't pull of living in the city on current salary.Funny you mention something about family not wanting you to leave. My sister was talking about moving to a place a few hours away to be closer to her husband's family and her mother threw a fit saying that she would be "devastated" even though there is plenty of other family nearby. I don't think I would move too far away, an hour or two maybe, which I don't think is that far but others might not agree.My other option is to stay where I'm at and do more traveling but of course that could cause issues with family (i.e. "must be nice to be able to buy all that gas to travel", "why aren't you spending the weekend with me instead", etc)
Ok, your family is starting to freak me out. You definitely need to move, if only to give you some emotional distance. And no woman is going to be interested in you if you're still under their thumb.

Find a job elsewhere - preferably 2 hours away, which is far enough away they won't be likely to turn up uninvited. Tell them the opportunity is too good to pass up and you need to do this for your own happiness. What can they say to that? Except possibly a version of "it's not about you, it's all about me!"

Run, dude. Go over the wall. Leaving them doesn't mean you don't love them, no matter what they might try to convince you of it. And it may just improve your relationship with them (as it did with my parents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
OP you could also live outside the city and commute into the city for work. Although you know the area better than us, but its a suggestion.

Depends on if you're the city type. Some people can't live in the city but can tolerate working there. As Ascension said, you may have more job opportunities in the city.

Research the job situation there and search yourself to see if you can live in or just outside the city and commute in.
I agree with this advice. Also, you will be able to likely afford more house outside of the city limits. It just gets harder and harder to meet people at all. So at least live where you want.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM

65 posts, read 133,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ok, your family is starting to freak me out. You definitely need to move, if only to give you some emotional distance. And no woman is going to be interested in you if you're still under their thumb.
LOL they're not horrible but there are some control and clinginess issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Find a job elsewhere - preferably 2 hours away, which is far enough away they won't be likely to turn up uninvited. Tell them the opportunity is too good to pass up and you need to do this for your own happiness. What can they say to that? Except possibly a version of "it's not about you, it's all about me!"

Run, dude. Go over the wall. Leaving them doesn't mean you don't love them, no matter what they might try to convince you of it. And it may just improve your relationship with them (as it did with my parents).
Really 2 hours isn't all that far even if they make it seem that way. It's not like I couldn't drive and visit them in one day

Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
If you are putting off moving two hours away because you are afraid what your family might say, it's definitely time to move away.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Sometimes family can be parasitic. They get you within their grasp and never let go. Don't feel bad for doing whatever YOU want to do.

How small is the town you are in? I suggest you try volunteering some of your time. Usually single people have a lot more free time than married couples so do things to take up some of that time. Volunteering is a great way to meet other single folks. Also, vacation more, take up a hobby, play intramural sports. Any of those are great options as well.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Unless your parents friends are willing to go out with you then move to a place that will benefit you. It sure beats sleeping alone.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Sometimes family can be parasitic. They get you within their grasp and never let go. Don't feel bad for doing whatever YOU want to do.
Yeah it's like I spend the whole week working and commuting. On the weekend, I'm doing chores around the house and get unexpected visits and they continue even after I ask them to call first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
How small is the town you are in? I suggest you try volunteering some of your time. Usually single people have a lot more free time than married couples so do things to take up some of that time. Volunteering is a great way to meet other single folks. Also, vacation more, take up a hobby, play intramural sports. Any of those are great options as well.
It's pretty small. I'd have to move in order to find a sports team. Where I'm at is a good place to relax but there isn't much to do here

Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
If you are putting off moving two hours away because you are afraid what your family might say, it's definitely time to move away.
No, just resistant to change and step out of the comfort zone.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 AM

I need to kick myself in the a**.I go through these phases where I want to hit the reset button and try something new (i.e. new job, move, etc). Once I get psyched up, I lose motivation and get back into the same old rut until I get bored again.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman45 View Post
I need to kick myself in the a**.I go through these phases where I want to hit the reset button and try something new (i.e. new job, move, etc). Once I get psyched up, I lose motivation and get back into the same old rut until I get bored again.
Shift your priorities. I know all to well about getting derailed, but lately I've been prioritizing my happiness. When something gets me down or makes me unhappy, I now attack it like it was a rabid coyote invading my flock of sheep. About 18 months ago, it was my unhappiness with my location. Now I'm tackling my weight and fitness issues, and things are going ridiculously well. I've always been good at making changes and fixing things that affect other people, but it took me a while to learn how to prioritize my happiness. I hope the habit sticks with me for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships