Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
*sigh* Well, I've seen it work for average women, I'll put it that way. Men do tend to be more visual, but still, find the right guy and magic can happen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you after your move, JJ. You're just stuck in some little backwater place right now, with traditional values. Ya gotta bust out.

I met the most extraordinary couple recently. They met when he was 24 and she was 48! She's in her 50's now, and very much looks her age. Her husband looks like he could be her son, and is really good-looking. They met in an acupuncturist's office, and got to talking about alternative health care, and stayed in touch by email afterwards, and things just blossomed. So they decided they had to tie the knot. It was a meeting of the minds and of common interests. Plus he had always felt that people his age were too immature, he was looking for someone older, I guess.

Extraordinary things can happen.
Where I live, it's a very interesting mix of backwoods values (faux conservatism) and being incredibly superficial. It's amazing, really. Over half of the population is college age (i.e. under 25) and the ones that are over college age are usually married with kids or retired. We always joked that once you hit 25 you're a spinster, good luck finding a man who has an education, doesn't have at least 2 kids and doesn't do drugs. We call it 'Newlywed or nearly dead' syndrome

In fact, when I think about it, I can't think of a single one of my older friends (late 20s to mid 30s) who met their partner in this area, unless they were high school sweethearts. Everyone else met their partners elsewhere and moved here. Weird.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
You're extraordinary, JJ. You have to go where the extraordinary guys are, not the ordinary ones.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Where I live, it's a very interesting mix of backwoods values (faux conservatism) and being incredibly superficial. It's amazing, really. Over half of the population is college age (i.e. under 25) and the ones that are over college age are usually married with kids or retired. We always joked that once you hit 25 you're a spinster, good luck finding a man who has an education, doesn't have at least 2 kids and doesn't do drugs. We call it 'Newlywed or nearly dead' syndrome

In fact, when I think about it, I can't think of a single one of my older friends (late 20s to mid 30s) who met their partner in this area, unless they were high school sweethearts. Everyone else met their partners elsewhere and moved here. Weird.
Hey, come December you'll be able to find some better men for ya. It'll happen. Just takes some time.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Eh average guys and mediocre can do all these things too.
Decent men aren't really nice.

Intelligent men aren't really smart.

But...."hawt" men impress your girlfriends!

Nuff said!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Decent men aren't really nice.

Intelligent men aren't really smart.

But...."hawt" men impress your girlfriends!
I've NEVER been impressed by any of my friends boyfriends.

I have been disappointed on several occasions though... the guy with the full back Raiders tattoo, the guy who acts like a thug and wears fake gold teeth, the guy who wears clothes 10x too big and is constantly pulling his pants up, the guy who gets super drunk and passes out at the bar etc etc. Not super impressed by any of those dudes.

Ok, I lie... I have been impressed by one of my friends boyfriends, but he was a mechanic engineering Ph.D 'student' and was incredibly interesting. She really had no idea what she had and took him for granted. He was a blast to talk to!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM

I go for the guys that suit me, not the ones that impress my gf's. Who cares who's impressed by your guy? The main thing is that you and he have a great heart and mind connection.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Ok, I lie... I have been impressed by one of my friends boyfriends, but he was a mechanic engineering Ph.D 'student' and was incredibly interesting. She really had no idea what she had and took him for granted. He was a blast to talk to!
That's sad. I hope they didn't get married. It wouldn't have been fair to him.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why should a woman settle for a good looking guy who treats her like dirt?
The question, in many forms, that I've been asking on this forum for years. The answer is: women will put up with an incredible amount from one of these highly desirable guys and will bolt when they even think (usually with no justification) that an average guy will act like them.

Sure. As many of the female posters have said: average guys can be jerks and a__holes too, but what is the chance that they are, compared to the desirable men. Very low in comparison.

If women could hear what these highly desirable types say when they aren't around, SOME of them might think differently but their is something about these men that gets a large proportion of women to suspend their judgment in an effort to curry their favor. These men use this to the max.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Move to a place where there are more jobs. Men with prospects flock to such places and usually have a very difficult time getting hitched.

Surely you could be based out of somewhere different!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Average guys should stop whining and date average girls instead of setting their sights on some Maxim model lookalike, the street runs both ways and this isn't the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships