Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Too many men past fifty kid themselves that they have the physical attributes they had at 25.
For some strange reason a youngish relative of mine was dating a bloke of fifty five, no he is not wealthy and she is twenty eight, she bought him along to an extended family picnic and instead of the silly sod staying with we middle aged types he believed he would fit in with the younger (under 30) lads/lasses who baited him that he was not up to a pick up game of rugby.

The idiot would not be warned and when he went in for a poor high tackle had a shoulder put into him which knocked him out.

Why is it that so many men fool themselves that at 55 they still have what they may have when they were a lot younger ?

I hope to see your thoughts again one day when you're older and aren't quite so accepting of it as you think you'll be.

You'll be wise enough to know you're not 20 anymore, just as am I; once you get past 35 the downhill slide is really very noticeable from your perspective. Little things creep in and unless you're in a position to hold them at bay, time takes a toll.

But a part of you WILL look at people you knew growing up, and wonder how they got so old. A part of you, most especially if you are dating someone even a FEW years younger than you, will behave as though younger very specifically because you look in the mirror and see this old person but inside your heart and soul you're still 22, and you'll be confused by this.

And for more years than you, junior, might believe -- you'll still be able to function quite well, DO things. You won't be interested all the time in the same things as young people, but when push comes to shove you'll discover you're NOT quite yet in your dotage.

I'm 44 and the last few years have been VERY unkind to me. Six years ago people regularly guessed me at 8-10 years younger than I was. Six VERY unfortunate years later people regularly guess me at 6-8 years OLDER than I am; yet for all that, when I'm in a field working or lifting furniture to help someone, I seem to be able to DO things which young people try and FAIL. Not try and have a hard time with, but try and FAIL.

The difference isn't that I'm really still that much stronger than they; I'm no 20-year-old and I KNOW it, know it each and every day when something which never bothered me before hurts, know it when I get out of breath suddenly and unexpectedly.

No, the difference is that I'm old enough and have been around long enough to know how TO do things, and the REAL difference between me and those young punks who fail is that I'm old enough to know whatever it is HAS to get done, so where they feel a little strain and give up because that couch is too heavy for three of 'em, I tell them to move the hell out of a man's way and I move it by myself.

It's not showing off; it's getting the job done, and I'm unfathomably disgusted when they actually POUT over this stuff and offer the challenges of boys -- "Fine, if you're so tough let's go outside and run a race!"

Tough isn't the point and running a race isn't the point; manning up is the point.

Take that aspect of growing older and combine it with -- yes, academically silly but spiritually understandable -- the fact that NO ONE wants to reach that stage where they simply can't perform acceptably to their own standards anymore and you'll find that you're 60 and figuring you just might give that picnic's impromptu rubgy a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:57 PM

296 posts, read 571,491 times
I am 37 and only getting older. People usually peg me about 10-12 years younger and I have my hair. Regardless, I don't want to get to that point where I am a 50 year old looking to date and marry women in their 30s. It's just that it seems impossible right now to get a date and one of my biggest priorities or rather desires is to start and raise a family. But that seems to be a big No-No if you are a short man. I think I'll give this a good decade more of trying and quit when I'm 48...

Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,098 times
50s is good in my book, a guy at that age is all prime

Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Too many men past fifty kid themselves that they have the physical attributes they had at 25.
For some strange reason a youngish relative of mine was dating a bloke of fifty five, no he is not wealthy and she is twenty eight, she bought him along to an extended family picnic and instead of the silly sod staying with we middle aged types he believed he would fit in with the younger (under 30) lads/lasses who baited him that he was not up to a pick up game of rugby.

The idiot would not be warned and when he went in for a poor high tackle had a shoulder put into him which knocked him out.

Why is it that so many men fool themselves that at 55 they still have what they may have when they were a lot younger ?
Fool themselves? My boss is 68. He can do anything I can and anyone else. I think it is the other way around myself. My Dad is 71. He's always playing the old man thing up. Just last week when we went fishing, I swear it took him at least three minutes to get into the boat off the dock. LMAO Hurry yo ass up old fart! LOL He got mad at me of course. His reply was "just wait until you get to be my age". Well Dad, I'm already middle aged. I can still "bang" with the best of 18-25 year olds. Jim is 68 remember? He can do nearly anything I can. Who you trying to kid Dad? The "no comment" ended with a "I don't care" kind of reply. Excuses, excuses......you really play it up sometimes.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I hope to see your thoughts again one day when you're older and aren't quite so accepting of it as you think you'll be.

You'll be wise enough to know you're not 20 anymore, just as am I; once you get past 35 the downhill slide is really very noticeable from your perspective. Little things creep in and unless you're in a position to hold them at bay, time takes a toll.

But a part of you WILL look at people you knew growing up, and wonder how they got so old. A part of you, most especially if you are dating someone even a FEW years younger than you, will behave as though younger very specifically because you look in the mirror and see this old person but inside your heart and soul you're still 22, and you'll be confused by this.

And for more years than you, junior, might believe -- you'll still be able to function quite well, DO things. You won't be interested all the time in the same things as young people, but when push comes to shove you'll discover you're NOT quite yet in your dotage.

I'm 44 and the last few years have been VERY unkind to me. Six years ago people regularly guessed me at 8-10 years younger than I was. Six VERY unfortunate years later people regularly guess me at 6-8 years OLDER than I am; yet for all that, when I'm in a field working or lifting furniture to help someone, I seem to be able to DO things which young people try and FAIL. Not try and have a hard time with, but try and FAIL.

The difference isn't that I'm really still that much stronger than they; I'm no 20-year-old and I KNOW it, know it each and every day when something which never bothered me before hurts, know it when I get out of breath suddenly and unexpectedly.

No, the difference is that I'm old enough and have been around long enough to know how TO do things, and the REAL difference between me and those young punks who fail is that I'm old enough to know whatever it is HAS to get done, so where they feel a little strain and give up because that couch is too heavy for three of 'em, I tell them to move the hell out of a man's way and I move it by myself.

It's not showing off; it's getting the job done, and I'm unfathomably disgusted when they actually POUT over this stuff and offer the challenges of boys -- "Fine, if you're so tough let's go outside and run a race!"

Tough isn't the point and running a race isn't the point; manning up is the point.

Take that aspect of growing older and combine it with -- yes, academically silly but spiritually understandable -- the fact that NO ONE wants to reach that stage where they simply can't perform acceptably to their own standards anymore and you'll find that you're 60 and figuring you just might give that picnic's impromptu rubgy a shot.
That's really a good post there guy. I agree with everything you said. You're only an old fart if you let it be. I won't/don't allow it. I see it as a sign of weakness and failure. Sure you might have to try a bit harder than before. That's not the point. The point is it still can be done if you still have the heart, mind and WILL TO WIN at all costs. Using your example, which was a good one about moving stuff....I walk very very fast paced. I'm running over other younger mens heels half my age at the mall, Wally World, Lowe's etc... Many even tell me to slow down, you're walkin' too fast. I never slowed down. The day I quit putting the pedal to the metal is the day I'm gone from the world and they plant me six feet under. I never give up and I never quit...NO WAY!! I've been down all broken and battered such as today in this 105 degree weather. All soaking wet and ready to pass out. I still keep finding the strength to push on....>>>>>>>>>>> I did push on. I made a ton of money for my boss today. Failure is not an option.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 PM

426 posts, read 558,637 times
Iam in my early 50's and play golf from the back tees and hold my own against the young studs. I use to play the old man gig but after i took their money i get no more extra strokes. My sons who are in their early 20's and their friends all say i dont look my age which makes me feel good but iam no fool. At my age u have to pick your spots or sports if u will. I might not get myself in a game of rugby or football but i can hold my own in golf, basketball, and baseball. I will take years of experience over foolish youth anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships