U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,722 posts, read 5,254,037 times
Reputation: 2223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
"I love to laugh" (I hate laughing, I actually frown when I laugh)
Ha! Love this one!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 PM
 
Location: 'Murica
1,302 posts, read 2,802,190 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Oh god, no, no, no. Please no. Please tell me you haven't seen that more than one profile. Please?
Literally over a dozen. It was cute the first time I heard it, but it's gotten to the point where I stop reading when I see that quote, and move on to the next profile.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 PM
 
14,376 posts, read 17,274,863 times
Reputation: 43021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, I AM quirky and happy to admit it. Nerds? Love em!
Yeah, I guess I qualify as that too, though I don't use that word - too Zooey Deschanel, ya know? But I'm definitely not mainstream. and I'm not gonna hide that.

I like working-class nerds - they have the best projects. I actually once had to utter the phrase, "No, dear, you may not build a hovercraft in the living room."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
 
2,618 posts, read 5,980,626 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Actually, it kind of comes off as kind of cruel. People are doing the best they can on these things, and you seem pretty willing to eviscerate them for it. I don't think my answers resemble the ones you parody for the most part, but your approximation mainly seems to skewer people who are trying very hard to put their best foot forward. Those folks do get some credit for even putting themselves out there. The answers you mock are by no means even close to some of the offensive things I've seen on OKC.

I could show you 20 profiles by men that would put a first-time online dater off the entire gender.
I'm sure there are many male profiles that are the same way....I just don't look at those....I'm into girls.

It comes off cruel to you because you're sensitive and you don't have a sense of humor. That's your opinion, but I know plenty of people that appreciate my humor.

Other points:

- I'm not giving someone credit for using the internet. It takes longer to put up a facebook profile than it does a dating profile.

- If they're really trying their best, why are their profiles sooooo short? I would think trying your best would be to actually say something about yourself that makes you unique and interesting. At the very least they could attempt to say something that might lead to a conversation starter.

- I see a lot of worse answers and profiles as well, those are just things I see WAY TOO MUCH OF and it's sickening to the point I stop reading if I start seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Definitely. A profile that aims to appeal to a wide variety of people is much better to read than a negative and demanding one.
Sure, but who is talking about negative profiles here? I didn't bring that up. That's a whole different discussion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,127 posts, read 9,714,007 times
Reputation: 11781
What ladies of CD want to get together and compose a dating list of all the things men constantly write on THEIR profiles? Because it's pretty much the exact same stuff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,757 posts, read 50,725,495 times
Reputation: 25334
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
What ladies of CD want to get together and compose a dating list of all the things men constantly write on THEIR profiles? Because it's pretty much the exact same stuff.
Haha yep.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM
 
2,618 posts, read 5,980,626 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
What ladies of CD want to get together and compose a dating list of all the things men constantly write on THEIR profiles? Because it's pretty much the exact same stuff.
I agree. It probably is all the same stuff. Good call!

Actually I had a friend say once that all the guys describe themselves as: "Laid Back"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM
 
14,376 posts, read 17,274,863 times
Reputation: 43021
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
It comes off cruel to you because you're sensitive and you don't have a sense of humor. That's your opinion, but I know plenty of people that appreciate my humor.
You do realize that that's the first defense of bullies and emotional abusers, right? "You just don't have a sense of humor - I'm just kidding. Everyone else thinks I'm funny."

Not saying you are either of those things, but just that you went on the defensive pretty quick there.

But they do get credit for starting an online profile in an attempt to reach out to another person. I know tons of people who don't have the guts to put themselves out there. "OMG, I could never do an online profile!" or "You only meet freaks and rejects that way!" etc.

And some people have a hard time coming up with original stuff in their profiles. I'm probably not going to give them a second look, but I'm not filled with scorn either. I just click on the next profile. It's just not something they're good at, and that's fine - but I like people who can express themselves well. But they'll find their level - for every bland female profile, there's a bland male profile and they most likely gravitate towards each other, like those who strongly identify with their religious groups or whatever.

Seriously? Bland/common profiles make you sick? Come on...

I'm not even saying they're not deserving of mockery, but there was definitely a hostility in your humor that seems a bit outsized in comparison to the supposed "offense."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
 
2,618 posts, read 5,980,626 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You do realize that that's the first defense of bullies and emotional abusers, right? "You just don't have a sense of humor - I'm just kidding. Everyone else thinks I'm funny."

Not saying you are either of those things, but just that you went on the defensive pretty quick there.

But they do get credit for starting an online profile in an attempt to reach out to another person. I know tons of people who don't have the guts to put themselves out there. "OMG, I could never do an online profile!" or "You only meet freaks and rejects that way!" etc.

And some people have a hard time coming up with original stuff in their profiles. I'm probably not going to give them a second look, but I'm not filled with scorn either. I just click on the next profile. It's just not something they're good at, and that's fine - but I like people who can express themselves well. But they'll find their level - for every bland female profile, there's a bland male profile and they most likely gravitate towards each other, like those who strongly identify with their religious groups or whatever.

Seriously? Bland/common profiles make you sick? Come on...

I'm not even saying they're not deserving of mockery, but there was definitely a hostility in your humor that seems a bit outsized in comparison to the supposed "offense."
The first defense of someone who is over-sensitive is to call someone abusers and bullies despite the fact they're the only ones offended. You probably stand for political correctness too.

How do you know they started a profile to reach out to someone? Most women don't even write initial emails to men. Many women create profiles just to look and don't talk to anyone. Again, your "credit" is yours to give, but I won't give anyone mine for using the internet.

And some people have a hard time coming up with original stuff in their profiles Ummm, yeah? I thought I just covered that with my first post.

And again, what's with the male vs female hate going on here? I said nothing about men vs women profiles. I'm sure men's are worse, they're typically bad writers in my opinion. I just didn't comment on male profiles because I'm a male and I'm not gay.

Why are you trying to start a fight over nothing? I'm bored this week too but c'mon, I'm not going to get into the immature fight that you so badly desire.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: North NJ by way of Brooklyn, NY
2,628 posts, read 4,438,498 times
Reputation: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, I AM quirky and happy to admit it. Nerds? Love em!
LOL

I have a gamer shirt on in my profile picture. Enough said.

*bonus points if anyone can actually figure out what it is*

Yes this was pretty funny.

I also like when they are over 40, never been married and put down "I'm now looking to settle down".

To me this means "I've been wh*ring myself around my whole life and/or never been in a serious relationship and since all of my friends are now married, it's getting kind of lonely out here"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top