Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times

Advertisements

It's a lot easier to stay friends with an ex when:

- You are the one deciding on the breakup, or if it's a mutual decision with no hard feelings.

- The breakup is done in a respectful manner

- One of you didn't cheat on the other

- You have mutual friends

- Niether person has a desire to get back together

- You enjoy their company and talking to them despite the lack of romantic interest.

My most recent ex dumped me after telling me she was in love with me, introduced me to her family, begged me to introduce me to my dad (which I did 2 days before she dumped me) and then I helped her move (3 days before she dumped me). Basically she made me feel like I was used for hard labor and embarrassed me in front of my dad because a week later dad calls to tell me "hows things with the gf? She seems nice...." and I'm still crying my eyes out over the sadness.

Also, words of advice for breaking up with someone: don't start a fight with them over nothing and THEN break up. It's much more respectful if you just sit them down and be honest with them without associating blame (unless it's really warranted). I realize it's easier to relieve yourself of guilt by fighting with them first, but it'll speak to a better character to be respectful in this process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
I've tried to. If I changed my phone number I'm sure I'd be more successful at the "completely" part.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I've stayed friends with some. I always seem to get that "can we still be friends?" speech. However if the breakup was bad, or if I was wronged in some way, I will make a clean break and want nothing to do with the person.

I've had to recently completely cut off one ex who I tried to be friends with, but his being clingy and refusal to let go was starting to interfere with my current relationship, and that is a big fat no no in my book.

Some people just operate that way where exes are exes for a reason, and want nothing to do with it afterwards. I wouldn't take it too personal.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM

349 posts, read 459,650 times
I've only cut one of my exes out my life, completely. The relationship ended horribly and he still wanted to get back together . We have a mutual friend and years later he still asks for me and wants to get in contact with me but I want nothing to do with that guy.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
hell yes I do.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I recently ended a relationship with my girlfriend of 3 months. In my past threads I mentioned a couple of things that she did that I really didn't appreciate. The break up was after a fight and we talked about it. I told her I wasn't feeling the relationship and that I preferred to be single. I really didn't dislike her and I wish her the best with everything in life. Anyway, she has now basically cut me from her life completely. I just don't understand why? I don't miss her like that, but I don't get why you would burn a bridge with your ex SOLELY because they are your ex. Am I the only one who feels this way?
It's a lot easier to want to maintain a friendship when you are the dumper. It's quite a bit more difficult for the dumpee. If she didn't want the breakup do you really think she'd want to maintain contact with you and hear all about your new girlfriend(s)? Really?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Classic control issue. You want to remain on good terms, she doesn't. Now you can't, because she shut you out.

I didn't read other posts about her (if you posted any), but I'm guessing she had some other control issues too.

If you had told her to go fly a kite and to never cross your path again, she'd probably be calling you.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:50 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,471 times
I don't really stay friends with exes after we break up. Generally one of the parties didn't want the breakup so the potential friendship didn't work out. I tried to stay friends with my last couple of exes and it just didn't work out. If we ended on better terms I could see a friendship working out, but I don't think I missed out by not maintaining a friendship.

If you recently broke up with this girl, she's probably not ready to be friends with you. Since you may have not have broken up on best terms, it might be best to let her be.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
Yes

Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Of course not. You can always go back to them for sex during the rare dry spell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships