Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,014,460 times

Advertisements

I actually enjoyed the article and agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,299,114 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

As a matter of fact, France has one of the best health care systems in the world-where here in the USA, 44 million people have no health insurance.

French culinary is one of the best in the world- Usually, when I go to France, the first thing I do is, I go to a grocery store and buy some cheese, you can buy great cheese anywhere in France for 3-4 euros, real cheese, not this crappy fake cheese we have here in the US.

French wine is also one of the best in the world. In addition, there is very little crime in most places, even in larger cities like Paris, Marseilles and Lyon- the crime rate is at least 5 times lower than in any American city of same size.

I would not call France, my favorite place in the world but to call them "useless" is a bit ignorant

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-07-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,316,154 times
This article deserves not one, or a double but a triple eye-rolling.

Just another case of "the grass is greener on the other side."

I don't understand why some people are trying to turn us in Europe (no offense to Europeans, but our cultures are just different).

France also has a "low" divorce rate because they have a low marriage rate, among the lowest in the world. They also marry late. However, I have heard that a large percentage of their marriages still do end in divorce though.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,300,242 times
I found this part to be hilarious -

Quote:
Q: How should American women approach dating if they’d like to be more successful in love, just as French women are?

A: I think American women should ponder the points above and try to listen as much as possible to their own intuitions and inner voices, which is what I believe French women are exceptional at doing. I also think they should challenge all the dating and love advice thrown their way, and other cultural assumptions that are not particularly life-affirming or that don’t jibe with their own world view. Whatever American women can do to be more defiantly self-possessed and free will help them be more successful in love.
The former is good (and obvious) advice, while the latter (after where world view is mentioned) is flat out bad advice.

Essentially it asks American women to listen to themselves and embrace their femininity, while simultaneously asking them to espouse a world view that has shaped them to reject it.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 PM

837 posts, read 1,285,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
This article deserves not one, or a double but a triple eye-rolling.

Just another case of "the grass is greener on the other side."

I don't understand why some people are trying to turn us in Europe (no offense to Europeans, but our cultures are just different).

France also has a "low" divorce rate because they have a low marriage rate, among the lowest in the world. They also marry late. However, I have heard that a large percentage of their marriages still do end in divorce though.
'OMG they don't marry when they are 20! Our purpose is to be married and have 15 children.'

Old 07-06-2012, 01:57 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,714,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Hay, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just putting the info out there.

I wasn't 'shooting the messenger.' I didn't say anything about you, I was talking about French women and these so called 'support' articles.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,316,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
'OMG they don't marry when they are 20! Our purpose is to be married and have 15 children.'
Well, it's the truth, they and most other European countries marry later than we do (except maybe certain areas in the NE). No need to be sarcastic.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,299,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
The United States is the only "civilized" country in the world where you still have such outdated, archaic, religion based 18th Century "family values" Most European countries don't give a crap about religion because they realized it is all BS about 50 years ago.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,714,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe the authority of results? Mostly the French don't elect themselves to tell us anything. America ranks at the bottom in all social metrics precisely because of the attitude you have, i.e. "we don't need your stinking advice". Clearly we do.

So they got results, big deal. I'm sure the Spanish and Italian women could go around handing out unwarranted advice as well. Usually when people want to help they don't look down their noses at others, but that's just how I see it ..... The attitude I have is that most of the women here didn't ask them, if you want to follow what French women tell you -- knock yourself out. So clearly you need the advice and want it, so take it. As for ME again, I don't care.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,124,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I actually enjoyed the article and agree with it.
Me too. How many time have we heard about a women's "list" on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships