Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,769,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Do they really like them? Or do they simply not have enough self respect to find someone who treats them better? I watch my buddy with his psycho controlling girlfriend and the only thing I can do is feel bad for the guy. I don't know why he stays with her, but I sure as heck wouldn't deal with that kind of treatment.
A. She's hot and he can do no better(no offense)
B. Great in the sack
C. Got the bucks
D. She knows he is a pushover.

I'm not like this FYI but some friends are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,582,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There's a healthy balance of everything. Something tells me though, that it wasn't you being unfriendly in your behavior that attracted the guys. One of the things I look for in a girl is her friendliness, actually besides her looks that's the #1 thing for me.

You're free to do whatever you feel is best for you, but I think it's safe to say that one of the main things that attracts guys to women is how friendly she is.
The looks thing definitely could have been part of it. I was wearing A TON of makeup and had a friend do my hair. It took me around 2 hours total to get ready and I'm not planning on doing that everyday.

I was decidedly unfriendly. The friends I went with (one guy, one girl) were shocked at how I was acting because I'm usually very friendly and personable. I think it was the 'challenge' thing... they saw me as fun and exciting when I'm usually seen as boring and stable.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,535,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So, I mentioned in a few threads that this weekend I was going to try to be a 'mean girl' and just see what happened. So, I put on my big girl jeans (as well as a TON of makeup...yick) and went out on the town.

I got 6 phone numbers. SIX FREAKING PHONE NUMBERS. I actually got in an argument with some guy, poured a gin and tonic on him and he asked me out. He also bought me another gin and tonic.

I tripped someone and laughed at him, he gave me a hug and asked if I wanted to hang out sometime.

I told some guy his car sounded lame and that maybe he should be hitting on men instead of women (it hurt me to say this, to be honest ) and rolled my eyes. No smile, dead serious. He laughed and asked if I wanted to go for a drive sometime.

I TOLD 3 guys to buy me drinks. One said no, the others did with no hesitation. I didn't even say thank you, got my drink and walked away. One of them followed me around asking me out until I left.

A few other things happened, but those were the biggies.

Maybe I should just start acting mean to get dates. I had one of them write his number on a cocktail napkin, I looked at it, said I changed my mind and tore it up. He proceeded to try and give me his business card.

Wow. I'm just stunned. It took a lot out of me to act this way (I'm never mean unless provoked) so I don't plan on doing it again, but it still shocked me.

But hey, at least I can't say I've never been hit on anymore
Sure it wasn't because of the extra make-up?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:13 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,535,578 times
Quote:
The looks thing definitely could have been part of it. I was wearing A TON of makeup and had a friend do my hair. It took me around 2 hours total to get ready and I'm not planning on doing that everyday.

I was decidedly unfriendly. The friends I went with (one guy, one girl) were shocked at how I was acting because I'm usually very friendly and personable. I think it was the 'challenge' thing... they saw me as fun and exciting when I'm usually seen as boring and stable.
Disregard my previous post.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,874,543 times
Quote:

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I know that I'm very turned off by girls that seem boring and too stable.

Now, you definitely could do these things without being mean though!!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,871,920 times
Quote:
Oh, I know...and trust me, I'm trying to bury my bitterness.

But if guys don't like that kind of behavior, why did I get so much attention? I've been single for going on 3 years now, never going on more than 2 dates with the same guy (and all those started online, I haven't been asked out in person in years) and the one night I act like a horrible person I get 6 phone numbers?

I don't plan on becoming a mean girl, don't get me wrong...it was too stressful for me. But it was eye opening.
It boils down to attention.

You went out and unprompted paid a ton of attention to random guys. Yes, it was negative attention, but, still nonzero.

It's not so much that mean > nice, it's that good attention > bad attention > no attention if you're trying to go home with someone, or at least their number (this goes for both genders btw). Horrible people don't do better than kind people, but they DO do better than wallflowers.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,420,840 times
When you stop trying to be nice and impressing people, many people will fall all over themselves trying to win your approval

Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,634,791 times
In my experience many guys do like mean gals, excuse bad behavior from a gal depending on how attractive she is or how much he desires sex, or brushes off bad behavior from gals seeing it as cute or looking favorably upon any interaction with a gal.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,634,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am doing society a favor by letting these women know that they are nothing special. If every woman out got the same type of response from a guy, they would think twice before acting like they are something special

The problem is: Too many balless, weak men out there who keep kissing these women's asses, giving them way too much credit and treating below average, sub-par women like princesses.

A lot of women know they can afford to have the "bitchy" attitude because there is always some weak, fool out there that will kiss their asses and is more than happy to be their little lap dog. I think it is pathetic!
I'm sure on how it's letting gals know they're nothing special I'm unsure on how it's doing society a favor by saying "**** YOU *****" in reponse to a gal saying she's not interested.

You've done me a favor though by having yet another male post to show guys I know why it's little wonder that gals fear guys, lack interest in meeting guys, are standoffish/cold/unapproachable, and beat around the bush with rejections.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,149,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
When you stop trying to be nice and impressing people, many people will fall all over themselves trying to win your approval
exactly. you don't have to be mean, though. indifference works just as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships