Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Guys, are you intimidated to approach a taller woman?
Yes 35 30.43%
No 80 69.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,174 times

Advertisements

yup, too bad i won't ever have one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,779,701 times
I went out last weekend and the tallest guy in the place promptly sought me out and tried to chat me up. It annoys me to no end to be hit on just because I'm tall, taller guys so rarely have a chance with me because of this. It didn't really help that he was a strange man offering me pot in a club...

Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,504 times
I used to get intimidated by girls taller than me (I'm 5'6). I would think that every tall girl that rejected me did so because of my height.

Then I got a little older, a little wiser, and took things less personally. I've since dated a few girls that were taller than me and don't discriminate with who I flirt with. I've generally found that my success rate is the same with girls that are taller than me and girls that are my height or shorter.

It doesn't matter much in the real world. It only matters in our own minds.

Last edited by CaptainJack87; 12-08-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,817 times
I have a close friend who is over 6'. She's also a full-figured woman, not overweight but very shapely so she stands out wherever she goes.

She gets asked out by shorter guys all the time. Many of her boyfriends have been 5'10" or shorter and they don't seem intimidated by her at all. I only remember her going out with one guy who was taller than her.

It probably helps that she's super nice and not at all stuck up despite the fact that she's a knockout, in my opinion.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 PM

855 posts, read 1,383,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I have a close friend who is over 6'. She's also a full-figured woman, not overweight but very shapely so she stands out wherever she goes.

She gets asked out by shorter guys all the time. Many of her boyfriends have been 5'10" or shorter and they don't seem intimidated by her at all. I only remember her going out with one guy who was taller than her.

It probably helps that she's super nice and not at all stuck up despite the fact that she's a knockout, in my opinion.
Nice!

I think it's super hot when a 6'0+ tall confident woman is dating a guy 6+ inches shorter than her. I've been lucky to have known some amazing women in my lifetime who feel the same way, but still too few. The most fun tall women are the ones who accept their height, know they can't do anything about it and make the most of life. These are the ladies who have friends of all shapes and sizes and date men of all shapes and sizes.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,136 times
I'm short. I've been attracted to women who were taller. They were never interested. I see ads all the time for tall women looking for tall men. I understand why women would want someone their height. Although, if the world's survival depended on a short man and tall woman getting together I'm sure it would happen. LOL

Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
Nice!

I think it's super hot when a 6'0+ tall confident woman is dating a guy 6+ inches shorter than her. I've been lucky to have known some amazing women in my lifetime who feel the same way, but still too few. The most fun tall women are the ones who accept their height, know they can't do anything about it and make the most of life. These are the ladies who have friends of all shapes and sizes and date men of all shapes and sizes.
Do you think it's a lack of confidence as to why taller women won't date shorter men?

I'm 5'10" and there is this guy who is 5'5" who has had a crush on me since we met in college in 2008. I talk to him everyday and he is just so sweet! But I CANNOT get over the height issue for the life of me.

I'm mostly worried about what other people would think. And no need to jump the gun, but what if we ever got married?! How would those wedding pictures look?!?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Do you think it's a lack of confidence as to why taller women won't date shorter men?

I'm 5'10" and there is this guy who is 5'5" who has had a crush on me since we met in college in 2008. I talk to him everyday and he is just so sweet! But I CANNOT get over the height issue for the life of me.

I'm mostly worried about what other people would think. And no need to jump the gun, but what if we ever got married?! How would those wedding pictures look?!?
I think it depends on your personality.

I'm also short (5'6), but I have a very atypical, rebellious outlook on life. I love all kinds of women, but I especially love the looks I get when I'm dating a tall girl. I like the stares and the confused looks. I like when guys challenge me over it.

I don't consider myself normal and I don't want that. I would LOVE to have wedding pictures with a girl towering over me.

But not everybody is like that. Normal is normal for a reason.

If height is that much of an issue for you, then don't date him. If you really like him (which it sounds like you do) and want to let go of societal norms and have fun with it, then go for it. After all, you only live once.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
Quote:

I don't think it's lack of confidence. I think it's the want to not be seen any more different than we already are (tall girls). Being with a shorter man just highlights the fact that we are bigger...and what women wants to feel big?

I'm right at 5'10" myself and I tend to be a beacon for shorter men. I've dated them, no problem. Sometimes it can be awkward, but I've had some great dates with shorter men.

I say go for it.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM

855 posts, read 1,383,728 times
Quote:

This is the most common viewpoint of tall women who have issues dating a guy who's a lot shorter. His lack of height is never his problem. It's yours. You care way too much what others will think of you when you're seen with him. Do you really need to have society tell you who looks good on your arm and who you should date?

The way I see it, you have two choices. #1 You can either woman-up, grow some eggs, and take advantage of the sweetness in front of you in the form of that 5'5 guy. OR #2 Continue to find fault with his height and let another woman enjoy what you seem to have no problems giving up.

Ask yourself what's matters most. Marrying the short guy or how others will scrutinize the wedding pictures?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships