Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Guys, are you intimidated to approach a taller woman?
Yes 35 30.43%
No 80 69.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Which is interesting, because 185 lbs for a woman of my height is within the 'normal' weight range according to BMI. I do have big thighs (which I love ) and a larger chest (which I'm meh about) and my ribcage is quite a bit deeper than normal. I actually have increased lung capacity because of it and my Dr. told me I'd probably make an excellent swimmer because of how tall I am and how large my lungs are.

It all comes down to being pretty though, it always will.
Only for the stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Only for the stupid.
Give me a break, you are so much better than everyone else that you do not judge based on looks? It is built into our DNA, look for a partner that exhibits health, good genetics, facial symmetry, etc. That is what good looks are, after all. Everyone is hardwired to seek these things in mates.

So you go for the deformed lump of the pack, eh? Not good evolutionary sense there.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM

499 posts, read 756,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Give me a break, you are so much better than everyone else that you do not judge based on looks? It is built into our DNA, look for a partner that exhibits health, good genetics, facial symmetry, etc. That is what good looks are, after all. Everyone is hardwired to seek these things in mates.

So you go for the deformed lump of the pack, eh? Not good evolutionary sense there.
This is pure B.S. social conditioning and pseudo-science brainwashing.... "Good Genetics"? Outside of Disease, looking very sickly, and perhaps the most extremes of height (north or south), there is no way to determine "Good Genetics" at face value. Beauty is subjective though many can agree on what is "beautiful".

A woman can choose the tallest, most able bodied man she could find and have kids who will inherit diabetes, osteoperosis, sickle cell, Alzheimer's, Baldness, etc. and all kinds of other conditions that she wouldn't know about unless she was with the man for years, or had a copy of his health history. I worked in social services and saw more short boys born to couples where the woman was say 5' and the man was above 6' (those short genes will stick!)

With respect to height, Neanderthals were taller and stronger than humans and were able to interbreed with us. They died out. Some of the populations with the shortest people (i.e. Japan) have the longest life expectancies in the world with the second most centenarians per capita which can be attributed to diet (recent Japanese are taller, but newer diets are bringing typical chronic diseases found here).

Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM

You are wrong, my friend. People do it all the time, in a split second.

It is not about height...but even from a quick glance at someone's face you can determine health, levels of various hormones, and degree of facial symmetry, which indicates good genetics and resistance to disease

Also, particular body shapes are indicative of good health and reproductive genetics. There is an evolutionary reason men are drawn to women with an hourglass figure, full hips, and nice faces. They indicate good health and ability to bear children. Likewise, women are drawn to men with various qualities showing they have good health and genetics for children.

People are just responding to thousands of years of conditioning, where survival and reproduction were the only real priorities

Physical attractiveness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:

It is not about height...but even from a quick glance at someone's face you can determine health, levels of various hormones, and degree of facial symmetry, which indicates good genetics and resistance to disease

Also, particular body shapes are indicative of good health and reproductive genetics. There is an evolutionary reason men are drawn to women with an hourglass figure, full hips, and nice faces. They indicate good health and ability to bear children. Likewise, women are drawn to men with various qualities showing they have good health and genetics for children.

People are just responding to thousands of years of conditioning, where survival and reproduction were the only real priorities

Show that Wikipedia article to a guy who begets a woman in a club and comes out with Herpes. Show that article to a woman who sleeps with a good looking guy who is a closet homosexual and comes back with AIDS. Show that Wikipedia article to a short woman who riducles men for being short and comes out with short kids (boys in particular) herself. Show that article to the friends I have who have good looking parents, but have conditions like cystic fibrosis, sickle cell, etc. How about kids who are born with cleft lip, autism, asthma, iron deficiencies, prone to seizures, etc.

You've been conditioned to believe the nonsense you linked. People are attracted to attractive human beings no doubt, but that being a proxy for health in most cases is GARBAGE.... It's what people like Hitler wanted everyone to believe. Sans what you can see at face value you just don't know.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Lol. Short girls usually go for tall dudes and short dudes would never go for a tall girl.

??? Really? Short, rich guys always have tall hotties in their harem. Always.

H

Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:

We no longer live in the world of which you speak. In the 21st Century there is one human quality that trumps all the rest: wealth. And... Lyle Lovett and Julia Roberts got together. Intelligent human beings can choose to override their inbuilt programming to choose someone different from the norm. It's done all the time. People at the ugly end of the spectrum and at the gorgeous end of the spectrum are easy to single out and there is usually little argument over whether such and such celebrity is attractive, if they are... Walter Mathau was not attractive. In the middle of the bell curve where most of us live there will be some that find us appealing and others not so much. No biggie, just keep it out there and eventually someone will come along and say, "you'll do". Works for me.

H

Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 PM

Wealth has always existed...and our DNA programming has not changed in the last century.

Love is more powerful than physical attraction, all I am saying is that we have strong, primitive reactions that many are not even aware of, to physical cues of partners. After all, this stuff was really important for much of our history. Find the mate who is most able to ensure successful reproduction, who had physical characteristics indicating health, longevity, and reproductive success. It has nothing to do with the latest fashion, and everything to do with the human body, which has not changed a whole lot in a long time. Societal standards of beauty come and go, but classic things like facial proportions and other signals of health do not change.

Walter, I don't think you're getting the point, bud...I haven't been conditioned to believe anything. I did my own research. The things you bring up are not really relevant to the point I am making.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Wealth has always existed...and our DNA programming has not changed in the last century.

Love is more powerful than physical attraction, all I am saying is that we have strong, primitive reactions that many are not even aware of, to physical cues of partners. After all, this stuff was really important for much of our history. Find the mate who is most able to ensure successful reproduction, who had physical characteristics indicating health, longevity, and reproductive success. It has nothing to do with the latest fashion, and everything to do with the human body, which has not changed a whole lot in a long time. Societal standards of beauty come and go, but classic things like facial proportions and other signals of health do not change.

Walter, I don't think you're getting the point, bud...I haven't been conditioned to believe anything. I did my own research. The things you bring up are not really relevant to the point I am making.

Hitler did his own research also

Were articles like those true, ugly people, short people, and disease would exist in low numbers with human beings being on the planet for 4 million years or so.

"but classic things like facial proportions and other signals of health do not change" - Contradicts "Societal standards of beauty come and go, but classic things like facial proportions"

Looks (outside of obvious defects) and Health do not go hand and hand.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
Quote:

To answer your first question: "you are so much better than everyone else that you do not judge based on looks?" No, i don't base my judgements on looks, it may be what triggers the initial attraction but i don't "judge based on looks". I don't ignore every other factor to decide how i feel about a person based solely on complexion, facial form and bone structure. How shallow would i have to be?

Now, try reading the whole section that's in 'bold'... infact, i'll type it here for you.

"It all comes down to being pretty though, it always will." to which i replied "Only for the stupid". Would you like it explained?

I was commenting on the fact that if someone decided that it "all comes down to being pretty" and no other considerations, like personality, charisma, sense of humour etc were taken into account then the person making the choice to base it all on looks was "stupid".

Now for your second question: "So you go for the deformed lump of the pack, eh?" Hmm... hopefully after reading the simple explanation above you will understand that the question has been answered.

Oh and with regards to giving you a break as you asked? Ok, since you asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships