Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, congratulations on your self-makeover, and I'm glad you're happy.
I reviewed the thread, btw, to see who was slamming muscular guys, and no one was. Only the OP article was, and it was talking about bodybuilders, a different class altogether. So I don't know where the strange hostility toward women on this thread is coming from. I think Jet Jockey is right on with some of her psychological analysis. Guys started getting defensive (and offensive) on this thread before any women had hardly said "boo".

It's not so much that women find chubby or overweight buys attractive, though some do. It's that women find nice, kind, really smart, funny, interesting and reasonably successful or career-oriented guys attractive. If those qualities come in a chubby package, a lot of women don't care. It's irrelevant. If they come in a slim package, also irrelevant. If they come in a short package, still good to go. You get the idea.

If a buff good-looking guy comes along, but is arrogant or self-absorbed, women will flee. They'll start talking to the shorter guy in the corner with the fascinating stories who makes them laugh. They'll be glued to that guy all night, while Mr. Buff is strutting around trying to pick up some airhead babes.

This is life. This is how it works.
Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM

810 posts, read 1,807,707 times
I went from being chubby to skinny to muscular. I can attest to getting a bit more attention from the opposite sex that I know I can attribute to the change in my body, and it's nice, but if you let it go to your head and become and arrogant egotistical douche, then you're pretty much worse than you were back when you were out of shape.

If JetJockey like slightly chubbier guys over muscular guys, so what? We all have different preferences. It doesn't mean that she can't get muscular guy; it's just that she doesn't want them and isn't attracted to them physically. Do you know how many times I get made fun of from my guy friends because I am more attracted to a woman with muscles than a skinny model with big breasts? They give me the most flabbergasted face when I say that I don't think the Playboy topless centerfold isn't hot to me. Does that make me a freak? Does that make me weird? No, it's just different tastes.

It seems to be split in half in my circle of friends of lifters and bodybuilders who are cool and laid-back, and the ones who are arrogant. The latter have so many facebook pictures of themselves shirtless it honestly becomes pathetic, and I know why they do it; they want to show off and fester compliments from the ladies. What ends up happening, though, is they get likes and comments from other guys and bodybuilders but not the women that they so crave, and I know that just eats them up. The former has maybe a couple of pictures from competitions or to show progress, but they have other interests and don't obsess about the gym all the time. With the latter, it seems like every status that they write is about hitting the gym, or being swole, or getting jacked, and that gets old.

You can't let that attention go to your head. I'm not God's gift to women; I'm just a guy who happens to like lifting, Victorian Literature and nerd stuffs. If you are attracted to me for my body, but don't care about my love for literature, world affairs, economics and art, it's not going to work out. Vice versa, a woman could have the perfect amount of muscle to turn me on, but if all she talks about and cares about and strives for is the gym, then I'm not going to like it.

So be fit, eat right, hit the gym hard, but don't let that be your only interest and your only goal. If you let that be all that you strive for, you'll find yourself quite the boring person.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post

You can't let that attention go to your head. I'm not God's gift to women; I'm just a guy who happens to like lifting, Victorian Literature and nerd stuffs. If you are attracted to me for my body, but don't care about my love for literature, world affairs, economics and art, it's not going to work out. Vice versa, a woman could have the perfect amount of muscle to turn me on, but if all she talks about and cares about and strives for is the gym, then I'm not going to like it.

So be fit, eat right, hit the gym hard, but don't let that be your only interest and your only goal. If you let that be all that you strive for, you'll find yourself quite the boring person.
This is very nicely put and exactly what I was getting at in my above posting....

Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think your attitude is pretty terrible and mirrors the many guys that go from chubby to 'in shape'. All of a sudden they think they're gods gift to women and want to punish the women who ignored them when they weren't in shape.

You list a bunch of stuff that 'most' women like, and I've found that the chubby guys I've liked in the past have all of those qualities. Many of them are healthy, they do work out and are attractive to me.

Just because you dont agree with someone's preferences doesn't mean they're settling.

And you're definitely self absorbed... Bragging about all the women who are falling all over for you proves it.
No biggie, youre entitled to your opinion. Im not bragging about the attention im getting, im just stating the facts and things Ive observed in my own life, as it relates to the topic. I would never think of punishing women, because i pretty much love all women and appreciate them, no more and no less than when i was chubby. Im going to once again repeat two things: Being fit or mascular doesnt make a man, its a small part of a man. However, when you take the character, personality and charm of the chubby and drop him into a fit dude, most women would love it. I dont disagree with your preferences, already stated it twice.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post

Great post! Maybe you can find a nerdy fan of literature and art, and get her interested in going to the gym. Maybe not bodybuilding, but enjoying workouts, at least. Let us know when you find that special lady.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Did anyone read the actual study, or just the article about the study? I would be interested to see the actual study to review their methodology and so on. Also, 327 does not seem like that big of a sample, either. Still, I don't think the results of this are really all that surprising. I think that an unfortunate by-product of the fitness industry is that as men and women increase their muscular strength and endurance, they also increase their ego's strength and endurance. Now of course, there are exceptions. A guy who works in the same building as I do is quite literally a body builder, and is one of the most decent men I know. Our building has a small fitness center inside, and he is always willing to show others what has worked for him, how to tweak techniques for maximum results, etc...

But for the most part the results do not surprise me. I think back to high school gym classes and weight room sessions. Or how many of us have had a membership at a commercial gym like 24 hour fitness? I swear if they took the mirrors off the wall some guys would be able to finish their workout in 15 minutes! These guys are the ones who look down on the middle age couple who has recently decided to try to work off a few pounds, or the slightly overweight guy or girl who is trying hard, but doesn't meet their high standards of what a person should look like. Usually these clowns are easy to spot by their "Tapout" sleeveless shirt. Sleeveless of course so that all can admire their perfectly sculpted arms and be intimidated by their tribal armband tattoo! Sometimes they hang out in groups, backs to everyone else but with constant glances over their shoulder to make sure that everyone else in the room is watching and admiring them.

These guys all get theirs, eventually. They either end up 45 and still single (or divorced) or at the very minimum, JetJockey will pour her drink on them on Friday night!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
The insecurity levels in this thread are overwhelming.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
The insecurity levels in this thread are overwhelming.
Why do you say that?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
Summation of the last few pages: "I know who you're attracted to better than you do! You must enjoy ripped men!"
These dudes sound like a bunch of butthurt 14 yr olds. Lol

"oh it's a defensive mechanism" it must be.

LoL at the immaturity.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Did anyone read the actual study, or just the article about the study? I would be interested to see the actual study to review their methodology and so on. Also, 327 does not seem like that big of a sample, either. Still, I don't think the results of this are really all that surprising. I think that an unfortunate by-product of the fitness industry is that as men and women increase their muscular strength and endurance, they also increase their ego's strength and endurance. Now of course, there are exceptions. A guy who works in the same building as I do is quite literally a body builder, and is one of the most decent men I know. Our building has a small fitness center inside, and he is always willing to show others what has worked for him, how to tweak techniques for maximum results, etc...

But for the most part the results do not surprise me. I think back to high school gym classes and weight room sessions. Or how many of us have had a membership at a commercial gym like 24 hour fitness? I swear if they took the mirrors off the wall some guys would be able to finish their workout in 15 minutes! These guys are the ones who look down on the middle age couple who has recently decided to try to work off a few pounds, or the slightly overweight guy or girl who is trying hard, but doesn't meet their high standards of what a person should look like. Usually these clowns are easy to spot by their "Tapout" sleeveless shirt. Sleeveless of course so that all can admire their perfectly sculpted arms and be intimidated by their tribal armband tattoo! Sometimes they hang out in groups, backs to everyone else but with constant glances over their shoulder to make sure that everyone else in the room is watching and admiring them.

These guys all get theirs, eventually. They either end up 45 and still single (or divorced) or at the very minimum, JetJockey will pour her drink on them on Friday night!

I don't like that generalization at all.

Majority of people who work out hard are not egotistical and narcissistic and not looking down on the people going in to lose some pounds.

A lot of what plays into this are the people with low self esteem who automatically think that everyone in the room is laughing at them or talking about them. Most of the time those people aren't even noticed by the other people in the gym, yet they think everyone is talking about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships