Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 PM

141 posts, read 321,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting article goldfrapp. I'm not surprised Perth is at the bottom of the list. More males to females per capita than any other city in Australia, we're supposed to have attractive women but none of them seem to be single. A lot of those burly, macho type men, many who work up in the mines. It's not as friendly as it used to be, and most people are so parochial and conventional. Most of the attractive women seem to just care about going to the beach, shopping with friends, drinking, their careers, buying a house or going on trips to Bali. It's a very stultifying place for anyone with any ambition that doesn't revolve around house or career. Melbourne is to go for me personally, I dig the ladies there. Hopefully I can move soon.

Perth definitely has the most beautiful women. I went there, for the Hopman Cup a few years ago, and I felt like I'd just walked into a large modelling agency! The girls there were tall, slim, with no make-up and cute clothes. I have a friend there who is totally gorgeous, too. I think in Melbourne, because it's so freezing in the Winter, we tend to be more book-worms, overall. But we can be stylish, too. The problem is, it's the home of AFL, so there are heaps of rowdy, drunken men all over the streets on the weekend, going on and on about the football!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
From all the people I know from Australia, the main point is they date people from the groups they hang out in. Therefore they know them pretty well before they technically "date".

From the military men I know, they say Australian women are all over them because American men treat them better than Australian men.

From the majority of Australian tourists who are male who come here, I TOTALLY understand the paragraph above. Most Aussie men I've met in the tourist areas are complete and utter a$$es.

That said, I know plenty Aussie guys who are totally cool.

Yeah, that's why I included a few historical references about the first time Australian women came into contact with American men, during World War II. Basically, the war changed everything - to accomodate the Americans, whole entertainment complexes were set up - dancing halls, hamburger joints, diners, the lot. Nothing like that had happened before, especially since the country at that time (1941) only had 7 million people. So, like what Anne Summers said, Australian women were exposed to a style of 'entertainment and flattery' like they'd never before experienced. Especially the dancing and the bands. The American GIs would show the girls how to do all the dances. Since war has pretty much shaped the national identity, the World War II experience is still in the national consciousness. So, now, it's like with American sailors, you still get a few Australian girls that are attracted to them. Likewise with American bands, especially if the singers happen to dance! (If you've seen the average Australian man try to dance at clubs, it's the funniest thing you'll ever see!) I have a friend that used to compete in swing dancing competitions, and travelled to the States for the international finals. So, there's that nostalgia there that still exists, I think.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
This is my favourite quote (about American GIs in Australia during World Warr II) from Anne Summers' 'Damned Whores And God's Police: Women's Lives in Australia. (P 462): "A great many Australian women, married and single, were literally swept off their feet by the Americans who treated them to dating and courtship rituals which were practically unheard of in Australia. The Americans could afford to, and did, buy the favour of Australian women with gifts of orchids, perfume, stockings, cigarettes and other rare commodities, but they also provided a style of entertainment and of flattering of women which most Australian women had never before experienced. All this created a great deal of bitterness and resentment amongst Australian men."

Here's a bit of an excerpt from an Anne Summers interview, explaining the title of the book:

GEORGE NEGUS: The cover of your book, Damned Whores and God's Police, to what extent is the title of that book a synopsis of how you saw the position of women in society at that time?

ANNE SUMMERS: Totally. Absolutely. I was so, I guess, pleased when I was able to discover those historical phrases that, to me, matched what the situation was of women growing up – where you're good girls or bad girls and nothing in between. And I found that phrase, "damned whores", in Lieutenant Ralph Clark's diaries. And then I came across Caroline Chisholm's writing exhorting young respectable middle-class women to migrate to Australia and become God's police. I just thought, "Well, this sums it up."

Dr Anne Summers:
Well, you might have that part right.

The Indiana Jones Theme - YouTube

Old 07-19-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
Well, you might have that part right.

The Indiana Jones Theme - YouTube

Haha, I used to love Indiana Jones when I was little! It's kind of ironic how Hollywood is now casting a lot of Australian actors as action heroes now...But the Americans that swept the girls off their feet weren't celebrities, they were just treated like they were - as if they knew Clark Gable personally!

Last edited by goldfrapp; 07-19-2012 at 05:36 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 PM

This is another story about American navy and Australian women:

Over sexed, over paid and over here: American sailors in Perth — Merrill Findlay: writer

Another thing about the whole 'American entertainment and flattery' - Australian women still love dancing at parties and clubs - they just dance with each other. Australian men are usually at the bar with their mates, drinking beers. And when one of them tries to dance, it really is so funny. I found this quote about Australian men dancing: "There is a stereotype that Australian men dance like Frankenstein. Their lack of rhythm and stiff knees has many of them resembling a chicken or jack in the box bouncing from side to side. Other men just watch over the dance floor, beer in hand, as they perhaps beat their chin to the music."

Quick guide to Australian culture

Often, the girls will just be in tears in laughter, it's that funny! At dance music festivals, it's the same - sometimes it looks like they're having a fit!

So, American singer/dancers like Usher and boy-bands are really popular here, because of that combination of dancing and flattering the women! I actually went to the NKOTBSB concert here recently, and the girls really appreciated the dancing! This is some footage of the night I went to:

BSB - Get Down (Melbourne 19/5) - YouTube

I think I was to the right of the girl filming, because I was going 'woo,' the whole time! Haha...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 PM

48,510 posts, read 34,783,425 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's why I included a few historical references about the first time Australian women came into contact with American men, during World War II. Basically, the war changed everything - to accomodate the Americans, whole entertainment complexes were set up - dancing halls, hamburger joints, diners, the lot. Nothing like that had happened before, especially since the country at that time (1941) only had 7 million people. So, like what Anne Summers said, Australian women were exposed to a style of 'entertainment and flattery' like they'd never before experienced. Especially the dancing and the bands. The American GIs would show the girls how to do all the dances. Since war has pretty much shaped the national identity, the World War II experience is still in the national consciousness. So, now, it's like with American sailors, you still get a few Australian girls that are attracted to them. Likewise with American bands, especially if the singers happen to dance! (If you've seen the average Australian man try to dance at clubs, it's the funniest thing you'll ever see!) I have a friend that used to compete in swing dancing competitions, and travelled to the States for the international finals. So, there's that nostalgia there that still exists, I think.
I'm talking about in the last couple years.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm talking about in the last couple years.

Yeah, I know. I just meant that some traditions last for a while! Hopefully, though, Australian women aren't getting a reputation for being desperate, just because of the way we're treated here!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,013,966 times
Quote:
Perth definitely has the most beautiful women. I went there, for the Hopman Cup a few years ago, and I felt like I'd just walked into a large modelling agency! The girls there were tall, slim, with no make-up and cute clothes. I have a friend there who is totally gorgeous, too. I think in Melbourne, because it's so freezing in the Winter, we tend to be more book-worms, overall. But we can be stylish, too. The problem is, it's the home of AFL, so there are heaps of rowdy, drunken men all over the streets on the weekend, going on and on about the football!
No makeup? Nah ah...

I like Melbourne ladies, for some reason. They're stylish, naturally attractive, seem to have more personality. Rowdy men? Perth takes the cake for that one. Melbourne nightlife and people are so civilised by comparison.

Perth people are all so CONVENTIONAL too.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No makeup? Nah ah...

I like Melbourne ladies, for some reason. They're stylish, naturally attractive, seem to have more personality. Rowdy men? Perth takes the cake for that one. Melbourne nightlife and people are so civilised by comparison.

Perth people are all so CONVENTIONAL too.

Well, they might just have the 'natural' look! Haha...I went there in summer, when it was like a heat-wave, so you can't really wear too much make-up. They just looked naturally beautiful, though! *girl-crush alert! * Haha...Well, Melbourne is meant to be the 'fashion capital' of Australia, even though the best designers are in Sydney (Sass & Bide, Alice McCall). We do have Saba and Bettina Liano, though...Yeah, I hear there are a few football fans in Perth, too these days. So, that always contributes to rowdiness!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,013,966 times
Quote:
Well, they might just have the 'natural' look! Haha...I went there in summer, when it was like a heat-wave, so you can't really wear too much make-up. They just looked naturally beautiful, though! *girl-crush alert! * Haha...Well, Melbourne is meant to be the 'fashion capital' of Australia, even though the best designers are in Sydney (Sass & Bide, Alice McCall). We do have Saba and Bettina Liano, though...Yeah, I hear there are a few football fans in Perth, too these days. So, that always contributes to rowdiness!
There's no need to hide your lesbian leanings they've been pretty clear from your posts, as if you're trying to tell us something lol.

What do you mean, we've always had footy fans! We don't need footy to get riled up, just come out on a weekend night there's bound to be a blue. St. Kilda or Chapel Street are pretty tame compared to Northbridge, the Cross, Hindley Street.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships