Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

At least 15 million people in the US are not but would like to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You must be doing it wrong.
I agree! I enjoy my work, I enjoy my vacations and I enjoy my social life. It's about balance. Sometimes work is stressful and a pain in the butt, but i know that means I need to get my attitude adjusted and bring things back into perspective. I am lucky.

People who complain about having to work in a nice, air conditioned office with modern technology seem a little spoiled to me. 150 years ago, i would be working in a dirty, unsafe factory or farming 12 hours a day with no financial security, while also having to deal with no modern conveniences or communication. Forget being able to travel or eat the foods I love or talk to my friends and family any time I want.

I guess we have just gotten "soft."

Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 AM

154 posts, read 155,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groggo558 View Post
I've been trying to meet new people and I am finding so many who have almost no time at all and so I am wondering what would life be like if I chose person X or Y?

And why are we all working as much as we are? It seems to be just so we can work, to pay more and more for having less and less. It seems we have but 5 mins of the week to ourselves.

Just doesn't seem worth it all.

Perhaps we need to change the system.
I work for money. And seeing as how you will die but not take any material possessions with you, it is pointless in the end. What we should be focusing on is building meaningful relationships. But we live in an individualist culture.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-H View Post
I work for money. And seeing as how you will die but not take any material possessions with you, it is pointless in the end. What we should be focusing on is building meaningful relationships. But we live in an individualist culture.

If you can't build a meaningful relationship and make friends then there's something wrong with you.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Work to LIVE NOT live TO work. I make less the most people yet I have NO debt it's easy if you REALLY want to. Like someone else said your not doing it right.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groggo558 View Post
I've been trying to meet new people and I am finding so many who have almost no time at all and so I am wondering what would life be like if I chose person X or Y?

And why are we all working as much as we are? It seems to be just so we can work, to pay more and more for having less and less. It seems we have but 5 mins of the week to ourselves.

Just doesn't seem worth it all.

Perhaps we need to change the system.
It's not the system that needs changing, it's your priorities. You have to decide what's important in life, and what is non-essential.

We made the choice a long time ago to not have the biggest house in the neighborhood or drive the newest cars. Instead, we'd rather save money. To be sure, we live in a well-to-do suburb to ensure a good education for the kids, but all those other trappings are pretty much the rocks that weigh you down. You become a prisoner of your things, working to pay for them.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If you can't build a meaningful relationship and make friends then there's something wrong with you.
You're obviously speaking generally and not at me. Your comment is laced with arrogance. You should have phrased it differently.

But American culture does focus on the individual. If that comment offends you then maybe you focus on yourself too much.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-H View Post
You're obviously speaking generally and not at me. Your comment is laced with arrogance. You should have phrased it differently.

But American culture does focus on the individual. If that comment offends you then maybe you focus on yourself too much.
If it focuses on the individual, it means that you can live your life the way you want to live it. Why worry about what other people are doing?

There are so many people who value family and friendships, I don't understand why people spout off so much that everyone in this world is so horrible. It's just annoying.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If it focuses on the individual, it means that you can live your life the way you want to live it. Why worry about what other people are doing?

There are so many people who value family and friendships, I don't understand why people spout off so much that everyone in this world is so horrible. It's just annoying.
I didn't say the world. I said American culture. And I didn't say every American.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 AM

145 posts, read 325,722 times
I met my boyfriend through work...(not current job) so it is what you make of it. I work 40 hours a week and am in grad school. I've met some great people through work and school and internships. My life is busy but I still have time for my bf, friends, classmates, co-workers, bosses, professors etc. People make things a priority if they want to. If your running into people who dont put dating as a priority but make their job their #1, most likely you dont want to be bothered with them anyway.

It's just like women who consume their lives with their children (in a negative sense) and let go of the variety that made them interesting individuals. Sad, people do it with all sorts of things. Work. Marriage. Kids. Sports. Hobbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships