Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 12:36 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The problem is, there is the Hallmark romanticizing of these jobs. What is seen in reality is not what's going on.
That is not hallmark. In old days, it was gladiators, warriors/military, knights. The attraction of women to strong, heroic, seeming professions is as old as time, and our biology was created to be attracted to protectors and to strength, whether real or implied. Reality has nothing to do with swooning fantasy. The reality of dating a stripper probably sucks too, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be attracted to her and fantasize about her, right?

I don't know why so many men think fantasy and lust are a man's domain, and that women's attraction is based on reality and rational thought versus feelings. Why is that?

"Women love a man in uniform" has been said for many decades, for a good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My ex was a CPA. I wouldn't probably use "good husband material" as a descriptor.
We're not talking about him as a person, simply the sexual/romantic appeal of his profession on its' own. No one is saying women aren't attracted to men who are CPA's, that's just silly.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:40 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The problem is, there is the Hallmark romanticizing of these jobs. What is seen in reality is not what's going on.
Yea those jobs take over someones life realistically hard to have time to develop a relationship being a police or fireman

Old 09-02-2016, 04:05 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Musicians and athletes are set.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We're not talking about him as a person, simply the sexual/romantic appeal of his profession on its' own. No one is saying women aren't attracted to men who are CPA's, that's just silly.
But the point is that the criteria that goes into being sought after as a partner goes far beyond just "stable career, probably a good provider," which was what was being said about CPA being an ostensibly attractive field/indicative of a solid spousal candidate to some.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Yea those jobs take over someones life realistically hard to have time to develop a relationship being a police or fireman
There's also a relatively high amount of personal safety risk, which does not appeal to every potential partner. Same thing with military, and add in the fact that you potentially lose, or are perceived to lose, a great deal of personal autonomy on where you go, where you live, how long you stay in a given place, etc. if you are a military spouse. So while some may be drawn in by the uniform, the lifestyle/perceived lifestyle isn't necessarily something just every person's gonna sign up for.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:29 AM

511 posts, read 402,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Musicians and athletes are set.
Good to know. Where do I check in?

Old 09-03-2016, 03:22 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Good to know. Where do I check in?
I gave up on the possibility of randomly hooking up with chicks I met through playing gigs, long before I met my fiance.

I had a bad experience with one, all the way back in 2009. We never actually hooked up, we never actually did anything. She got me so into believing that she was really into me and told me that she wasn't when I tried to actually make the move. I'm not sure if I did something to turn her off during our interaction. I don't care anymore, but it annoyed me for a long time after that and I never once took any chances in that situation again.

Hooking up if you're on tour somewhere, can also be a huge problem. If you're staying in a hotel, you're usually rooming with one of the other guys in the band. Do you really wanna be hooking up with someone while they're in the bed next to you? I know I wouldn't wanna be in the bed next to one of them hooking up with someone. Do you really wanna check into another room just to hook up with a chick? And even though I'm at a point where I can at least successfully not talk a girl out hooking up me at least initially, I would be really pissed if I spent money on a hotel room, only to find out that the girl was never even gonna hook up with me in the first place.

Any chance after that encounter, where I thought that a girl might actually hook up with me, I avoided like the plague. I would pretty much pretend that they may as well have been hideous or that they were a dude. Not that I'd be a downright **** to them. Just that I'd maybe say a few words and quickly make my way to another part of the room, if they started to talk about anything more than the music.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But the point is that the criteria that goes into being sought after as a partner goes far beyond just "stable career, probably a good provider," which was what was being said about CPA being an ostensibly attractive field/indicative of a solid spousal candidate to some.
Again, those are two different subjects. "Chick magnet" profession implies one that gets a women aroused simply by uniform or watching the professional in action. Watching a man with heavy gear take charge of a scary situation like a fire is one that arouses women, while watching a CPA do taxes does not. There is a reason NYC does a firefighter calendar, while an accounting firm would not.

Again, please do not misunderstand and think I am saying women aren't attracted to accountants, that is not at all what I am saying.

You are talking about partner selection based on stability profession, which is not the same as "chick magnet" fantasy. Again I think many here think women are unable to get aroused nor do we fantasize about anyone who wouldn't make a stable husband...that's silly if you think about it, right? Fantasy is just that.

The example I used to equate is a man might be aroused at the thought of sex with a stripper (thus it could be seen as a "man magnet" profession) but that does not mean he will want her for a life partner.

If a hot man falls and love with a dentist, that does not equate to dentistry being a man magnet profession.

If a man is looking for a life partner, I honestly don't think any one profession is better than another, stability in that profession is more important to a woman for a husband and father. If he just wants lots of chicks for casual fun, the guys in the "chick magnet" professions I mentioned do quite well.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:22 PM

511 posts, read 402,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I gave up on the possibility of randomly hooking up with chicks I met through playing gigs, long before I met my fiance.

I had a bad experience with one, all the way back in 2009. We never actually hooked up, we never actually did anything. She got me so into believing that she was really into me and told me that she wasn't when I tried to actually make the move. I'm not sure if I did something to turn her off during our interaction. I don't care anymore, but it annoyed me for a long time after that and I never once took any chances in that situation again.

Hooking up if you're on tour somewhere, can also be a huge problem. If you're staying in a hotel, you're usually rooming with one of the other guys in the band. Do you really wanna be hooking up with someone while they're in the bed next to you? I know I wouldn't wanna be in the bed next to one of them hooking up with someone. Do you really wanna check into another room just to hook up with a chick? And even though I'm at a point where I can at least successfully not talk a girl out hooking up me at least initially, I would be really pissed if I spent money on a hotel room, only to find out that the girl was never even gonna hook up with me in the first place.

Any chance after that encounter, where I thought that a girl might actually hook up with me, I avoided like the plague. I would pretty much pretend that they may as well have been hideous or that they were a dude. Not that I'd be a downright **** to them. Just that I'd maybe say a few words and quickly make my way to another part of the room, if they started to talk about anything more than the music.
Wow... none of that. I just thought it might be nice if an attractive woman would occasionally show some interest/appreciation for the creativity and dedication that goes into making music. I mention it on my dating profile and have a pic of me playing live but no woman's ever thought it was "cool".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships