Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:43 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

To go along with my other topic, Dating, I wanted to do this topic just for curiousity.
So.......where or how did you meet that "love of your life"?
For me, I truly got tired of what I had been meeting in local country/western nightclubs (I'm the former rodeo man), so, I decided to placed a Personal Ad in a local magazine. I put in the ad exactly the type of gal I was looking for, my hobbies/interests and told about myself........age, height, weight and that I had no tatoos or body piercings. I also talked some about my college education and my past as an ex-farmer from Indiana. My, now wife, answered my ad and THAT WAS IT..........we were married a year later.
Personal ads don't work for every person looking for that #1 person, but it sure worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 08:22 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
Well, I met my fiance on the school bus! We were childhood friends, next door neighbors... best friends all through high school. We both had feelings for one another, but were afraid to be honest about it and ruin a good thing.

We dated other people, yet still remained friends.

One day, at age 20, I decided to tell him how I felt. After all, here I was dating jerks, and this wonderful guy was right here under my nose! So, I mustured up the courage, and we started dating. We fell in love- just like the storybooks- and it's been 6 wonderful years since then.

We have our hard times. but, all in all, he is my best friend. he was my best friend long before we started dating, our connection runs so deep, there is no way I could be without him!

I recommend dating your best friend! Best move I ever made!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:26 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
I knew my husband from high school...and I hated him. We had history class together and he would annoy me constantly...he'd try to cheat off of me, or he'd lean over and wiggle his eyebrows at me, blow little kisses, ask me when I was going to go out with him. And I would yell at him, then we'd both get in trouble. My b/f was in love with his brother and we'd write notes to each other...her saying she loved michael and I'd write back saying how I hated dave sooooo much. Then my friend started dating the brother when we were older, about 20 yrs old or so...and she would tell me to just go out with dave on one date so he'd leave her alone and stop asking about me every once in awhile. Finally, a couple of years later, I gave in...literally, I was like "ALLLLRRRIIIGGHHTT, I'll go out with the jerk one time, just leave me alone". Well, that was almost 10 years ago, I think I saw him every day after that date and we're happily married. His theory is that I really had a thing for him in HS, but I just couldn't bring myself to admit it. I always say I just gave in so he'd leave me alone! It's funny to us, but he really is my best friend and the greatest husband ever.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:25 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I was married to a real degenerate that abused me, we ll one day my neighbor that had become my friend had a guy she had known from high school move in with her husband and her and we started talking and I told him about the abuse and worried I would never find a man that would want a woman that was "damaged goods" and had a kid, he said anyman would be lucky to have me, well i left my husband the next week and guess who came a calling?!! we have been married 13 years now and he adopted my son and then we had 3 more!!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
I met my husband at a flea market when I was 17, I had a friend whose father had just bought a flea market and asked me if I'd like to work the weekends and make 50.00 a day( a lot of money back then) We'll anyway he asked me to meet him Saturday at his dad's flea market. I got there early and his younger brother showed up with this really hot guy (my husband) the first time I saw him I said Wow!!!(reminded me of that hockey player for the NY Rangers Ron Duguay 80's hair and all, great bod the works) Well anyway he started talking to me and seemed like a really nice guy, he asked me out and then I found out he was a really big player. He did however settle down in his old age and we were just married 24 years July 4th.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:50 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
On the internet.....if anyone here is single/dating or has a single friend I highly recommend it. You can meet a lot of people you would have never met otherwise.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:02 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Would you believe in a gun factory, in Wyoming? No, really, I'm serious. A little place called Freedom Arms, in Freedom,Wy, near the Idaho border.My husband is a machinist, and had been working there for awhile when I came along. He's a tall man, 6'8", and I like 'em tall, so I certainly noticed him!

Old 09-24-2006, 05:12 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
I was married to a real degenerate that abused me, we ll one day my neighbor that had become my friend had a guy she had known from high school move in with her husband and her and we started talking and I told him about the abuse and worried I would never find a man that would want a woman that was "damaged goods" and had a kid, he said anyman would be lucky to have me, well i left my husband the next week and guess who came a calling?!! we have been married 13 years now and he adopted my son and then we had 3 more!!!!
I LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS! What a great story, gregsbabe! (Is your DH's name Greg perhaps? ) These are all great stories.

My story - my first husband died, my two kids were 4 yrs old and 2 months old at the time. Several months later my b/f wanted to introduce me to a friend of her husband's. I said no, I was out of practice dating, and frankly, alittle scared.

So, they took matters into their own hands, invited me to dinner, and him - without telling either one of us. (Hmmm, sounds like a blind date to me!)
The minute we met - it was POW! There is such a thing as love at first sight. It can hit you when you're not looking for it. We were married by the end of that summer, (remember the Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash song "Jackson?" "We got married in a fever...hotter than a pepper sprout!)
He adopted my children, then we added our daughter to our little family.

There have been times over these almost 20 years when I get so mad at him, I question why I wanted to ever get married again. Why oh why didn't I just stay single when I had the chance? Then he says something that reminds me he really is my soul mate, and what a good dad he is, or he has me laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes, and I am willing to carry on.

Nice thread LoveBoating!

Old 09-24-2006, 05:16 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
When I started going back to church I met a lady the bathroom and ask her if she knew anything about the singles dept and she said I'm in it and some of us are going out to lunch would you like to come, I first thought was no but I made myself go and I met my future husband. He told me I had pretty green eyes right off and he also asked me if I had personal relationship with Jesus. We became best friends and got married and still are best friends. Going back to God and back to church was the BEST thing I ever did.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:08 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
Met my wife on a blind date married 6 months later We have 4 kids and are still married 16 years later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships