Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM

400 posts, read 566,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Far more men are supporting wives than the other way around.
I think it only applies to the spouses that the supporter would say "he/she is a deadbeat" Not to all single income partnerships/families. You could take a poll on that.

Has anyone tried to force you into this situation? You seem resentful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
65% money/35% other

If not for financial support, many chicks would be on the streets or close to it.
I'm not thinking so. If not for financial support, most people would just get a job.

I don't know what your figures mean there...maybe you can expand on that.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
It's cheaper to keep her

And "For the kids"
They have no kids and he hasn't worked in years. I th ink it is out of fear.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Far more men are supporting wives than the other way around.
because when the alternative imbalance exists (for whatever reason)...
women are far more likely to have gone to divorce

Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Lots of reasons people stay together

-financial (maybe they would both take a huge monetary loss if they divorced)
-health reasons
-kids
-religious beliefs
-because they feel they need to "do the right thing" and honor their commitment
-fear of being lonely/alone
-they care so much about what others think of them that they'd rather be in a mediocre marriage than divorce
-feel comfortable playing the martyr and are happier when they are miserable and have something to complain about

and on and on and on...
These are my reasons. Kids first, then fear of being lonely/alone, and the fact that men get killed financially and in terms of custody is the rest of it..........

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Fear of what, though? What is there to fear after a divorce? You simply go back to the way you were living before you were married, and for most people, they probably lived that way for at least 25 years.
I don't want to go back to that. No way.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Why do people stay in bad marriages, when it is clear the spouse is a deadbeat.
Is it really that bad going thru divorce when it is ruining your life.
Which spouse we talking about- the female spouse or the male spouse? I guess if it is the female dead beat spouse that is called a mother - wife and primary care giver who does not work outside the home- Yah get rid of her- the kids don't need to see a mother all day long that is not making the father rich...okay....I had a wife for 27 years and when I had money- I was treated well for a couple of days- when I had no disposable cash I was called a dead beat/// It was a yo yo ride and it was not my job to make her rich -- When my mother was sick-- she never went to see her once in the hospital- never went to the funeral- BUT expected half the inheritance...I spent the cash as fast as I could- she got nothing..

If your spouse looks at you as only a source of income- well- ....maybe they can call you dead beat- but they are dead inside....I believe my money minded greedy wife ruined my life- I stayed for the kids- now they are grown to hell with the fool...who attempted to ride me like some beast of burden..

Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Lots of reasons people stay together

-financial (maybe they would both take a huge monetary loss if they divorced)
-health reasons
-kids
-religious beliefs
-because they feel they need to "do the right thing" and honor their commitment
-fear of being lonely/alone
-they care so much about what others think of them that they'd rather be in a mediocre marriage than divorce
-feel comfortable playing the martyr and are happier when they are miserable and have something to complain about

and on and on and on...
Justthe6ofus pretty much nailed the basics on this topic. Each relationship has its own dynamic unique to that couple. They may share similarities with other couples, but there are always going to be underlying wrinkles to the story that keeps a couple together for better or worse. Those couples should not be so easily dismissed or judged by others. Not every couple experiences or copes with challenges in the same prescribed manner.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
The person I know who's in a horrible marriage stays because it was once good, and she keeps thinking it's going to one day get back to that point. He's bipolar and she's convinced that if she can get him on the right meds life will be good again (but he refuses to go to counseling or a medical doctor or anyone who could help him, so I don't see it happening).

He is verbally/mentally abusive to her, but she feels a responsibility to take care of him since she's the one with the steady job while he does freelance carpentry work under the table.

It's a sad situation

Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The person I know who's in a horrible marriage stays because it was once good, and she keeps thinking it's going to one day get back to that point. He's bipolar and she's convinced that if she can get him on the right meds life will be good again (but he refuses to go to counseling or a medical doctor or anyone who could help him, so I don't see it happening).

He is verbally/mentally abusive to her, but she feels a responsibility to take care of him since she's the one with the steady job while he does freelance carpentry work under the table.

It's a sad situation
I've seen this too, people stay because they think the other person will change. Sometimes that is the case, but most often the change is only temporary and they go right back to their old ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships