Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you get hit on in public?
Male - at least once a day 8 4.60%
Male - about once a week 12 6.90%
Male - about once a month 14 8.05%
Male - a few times a year 19 10.92%
Male - a few times in my life 18 10.34%
Male - never 27 15.52%
Female - at least once a day 17 9.77%
Female - about once a week 17 9.77%
Female - about once a month 10 5.75%
Female - a few times a year 10 5.75%
Female - a few times in my life 15 8.62%
Female - never 7 4.02%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times

Advertisements

I've always offered everyone drinks when attempting to garner the attention of a woman with her friends.

Hell, once I invited my GF's entire family to an expensive steakhouse and paid for all of them.

That was...very very expensive with all the beer and drink buying with all the new york strips...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The direct and creepy also seem to be the ones accusing you of being a lesbian, not being into "real men" and cursing you out when you reject them.
creepy maybe, but being direct has nothing to do with it. Guys that you describe are cowards who cant handle rejection and its stupid and works against the guy. IF a guy can bow out graqcefuly, he automaticaly gets bonus points from women in the surrounding, who are observing.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
The direct and creepy also seem to be the ones accusing you of being a lesbian, not being into "real men" and cursing you out when you reject them.
I haven't gotten that too often - but I have gotten creepy. One guy made me repeat his name and number over and over again on the subway even though I told him I had a boyfriend and I was never going to call. He kept saying, "You'll remember. And you'll call." And I kept saying, "No, I won't. Thank you - but I won't."

Old 08-13-2012, 06:40 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Right, I was thinking more of a guys point of view and his approach. There has been quite a bit of advice on CDR telling guys to approach indirectly, buying a puppy to have something to converse about
ok, gotcha i haven't been here as long and my eyes glaze over sometimes at the worst advice

but the post basically said "guys aren't direct enough" and follows it up with a story about dirty talk in a hotel room

some poor bastard might read that and graduate straight from spineless to douchebag

a puppy? really? did someone really say that here?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I haven't gotten that too often - but I have gotten creepy. One guy made me repeat his name and number over and over again on the subway even though I told him I had a boyfriend and I was never going to call. He kept saying, "You'll remember. And you'll call." And I kept saying, "No, I won't. Thank you - but I won't."
This is why women need to learn martial arts. Next time just kick the guy in the nuts.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oooh that is creepy!

Quote:
creepy maybe, but being direct has nothing to do with it. Guys that you describe are cowards who cant handle rejection and its stupid and works against the guy.
These types usually lead in with something like "I think you are really beautiful and I'd love to do **insert something that you don't typically do with people you met 5 seconds ago**. With an extra sentence about their prowess in said endeavors."

Some are a little more suave about their phrasing than others, but it is still sleazy. (If you tried that with me, then how many other women have you tried this on!) So you politely decline and are subject to a host of verbal abuses from the worst of them

Quote:
IF a guy can bow out graqcefuly, he automaticaly gets bonus points from women in the surrounding, who are observing.
True. Some of these people are shortsighted.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Quote:
Oooh that is creepy!

These types usually lead in with something like "I think you are really beautiful and I'd love to do **insert something that you don't typically do with people you met 5 seconds ago**. With an extra sentence about their prowess in said endeavors."

Some are a little more suave about their phrasing than others, but it is still sleazy. (If you tried that with me, then how many other women have you tried this on!) So you politely decline and are subject to a host of verbal abuses from the worst of them

True. Some of these people are shortsighted.
Well, what youre describing is an ahole and someone who has no tact. You can be direct, polite and flirtatious all at the same time, without being too aggressive or pushy.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
ok, gotcha i haven't been here as long and my eyes glaze over sometimes at the worst advice

but the post basically said "guys aren't direct enough" and follows it up with a story about dirty talk in a hotel room

some poor bastard might read that and graduate straight from spineless to douchebag

a puppy? really? did someone really say that here?
Go to the park with a cute puppy and see what happens.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
It is simple.

Buy a drink only for the girl you like or buy one for everyone to be impressive. It is all or nothing or you look like a douchebag. You get more points for buying everyone a drink, with the one you like.
Exactly. I would feel weird being singled out and would prefer he offer something to the whole table. I realize that would be expensive, though.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Go to the park with a cute puppy and see what happens.
i've given the same advice

you don't see the difference between taking your beloved pup to the park and buying a puppy as an entry point to getting to know girls?

i'll assume you didn't read the context of my post and what i was responding to rather than you are advocating purchasing puppies as pick up tricks since the latter is detestable (mostly for the puppies' sakes and also for general lame factor)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships