Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times

Advertisements

Here's my question. If you aren't interested in relationships, if you are so fatalistic about them, if you go into every single one of them with a sense of doom about you, then why in God's name are you here?

I mean, hell, I suck at golf. So I don't play it. But you won't find me over on the CD Golf forum, if such a thing exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's pretty simple. If you break off an engagement, that's serious, something that pretty much destroys all trust in a relationship.
Breaking off an engagement is the right thing to do if you're not 100% sure of your decision.

Nobody should be pressured to get married and nobody should be vilified for breaking off an engagement.

Quote:
Heck, for all we know, she had announced to the world that the two were getting hitched.
And whose fault is that? Reminds me of this woman a few months who got engaged to an NFL player and then starting going on twitter/facebook showboating how she was going to quit her job and started posting pics of high end shoes she bought. Later on the dude backed out and she was left looking stupid.

Quote:
The parents might have put a deposit down on the hall for the reception. The announcement might have run in the paper.
He SAVED her parents time and money by not getting married.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Whine, whine, whine. Has it ever occurred to you that your roommate acted like an idiot? He dated a girl for eight years, was even engaged to her, then called things off. So she manages to pick herself up off the floor after apparently wasting almost a full decade on the guy and manages to find someone great. And yet it's her fault? You're feeling sorry for him? Do you realize how ass-backwards that is?

It's pretty simple. If you break off an engagement, that's serious, something that pretty much destroys all trust in a relationship. Heck, for all we know, she had announced to the world that the two were getting hitched. The parents might have put a deposit down on the hall for the reception. The announcement might have run in the paper. And then the guy humiliated her by having second thoughts. Well, if you're having second thoughts and break things off, then you don't get to be possessive. That's p*ssy behavior, my friend. And if his precious internship is suffering for it, it's his own damned fault for being such a knuckle-dragging halfwit who apparently lives without wisdom.

The guy jerked her around and is now inconsolable that she managed to find someone better in short order. Sounds as if he's the one who needs our contempt, not the girl.
Look the shape he was in, he would not have made a good partner if he was that doubtful about the whole thing. Plus who says the dude she found is that much a prize? DC and NoVA is not a place where you spit out a window and it lands on a good catch. She is not totally over it if she goes bat crazy every time they interact. We even had to get our lock changed over it. You ain't or have never been in his position so you can't say how you would react if your ex-fiancé went to someone else's bed a couple of weeks later after spending 8 yrs with you.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Here's my question. If you aren't interested in relationships, if you are so fatalistic about them, if you go into every single one of them with a sense of doom about you, then why in God's name are you here?

I mean, hell, I suck at golf. So I don't play it. But you won't find me over on the CD Golf forum, if such a thing exists.
Because you ain't the moderator and this is a free forum and others who choose to abstain from relationships may want some insight from someone who is making the same choice. Any other questions?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Breaking off an engagement is the right thing to do if you're not 100% sure of your decision.

Nobody should be pressured to get married and nobody should be vilified for breaking off an engagement.

And whose fault is that? Reminds me of this woman a few months who got engaged to an NFL player and then starting going on twitter/facebook showboating how she was going to quit her job and started posting pics of high end shoes she bought. Later on the dude backed out and she was left looking stupid.

He SAVED her parents time and money by not getting married.
Yes, that's all nice. And it's all besides the point. He made the decision to get engaged. Then he made the decision to break the engagement. That was his right to do so.

But now he doesn't have the basic testicles to deal with the consequences of his decision. Sounds like your roommate isn't much of an adult, nor is he much of a man. He wanted it both ways, and can't believe he isn't going to get it.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,169 times
Quote:

so stay off the CD golf forum or post in it -- that's called a choice.

And not everyone gives two sh*ts about portraying these things as positive and great (especially if they haven't been that way)for somebody else's day to go smoothly. If that's your experience then so be it, but other people don't have the same viewpoint and experiences and have just as much 'right' to express that.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Because you ain't the moderator and this is a free forum and others who choose to abstain from relationships may want some insight from someone who is making the same choice. Any other questions?
Yes. Why do you insist on sympathizing with such a loser roommate who obviously brought all his troubles upon himself?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll eyes View Post
so stay off the cd golf forum or post in it -- that's called a choice.

And not everyone gives two sh*ts about portraying these things as positive and great (especially if they haven't been that way)for somebody else's day to go smoothly. If that's your experience then so be it, but other people don't have the same viewpoint and experiences and have just as much 'right' to express that.
+1

Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:

But you and I both understand that OP really DOES want a relationship. He tells us and himself otherwise as a protective mechanism.

He's a really bright guy and I'm hoping he'll overcome his fears long enough to realize what he needs to do

Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's all nice. And it's all besides the point. He made the decision to get engaged. Then he made the decision to break the engagement. That was his right to do so.

But now he doesn't have the basic testicles to deal with the consequences of his decision. Sounds like your roommate isn't much of an adult, nor is he much of a man. He wanted it both ways, and can't believe he isn't going to get it.
Oh, I see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships