Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, there seems to be more to this story than originally presented.
I don't have a lot of facts but he describes the situation as a storm. Very descriptive. Also he changed our door lock over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
So you give up on love and relationships because your roommate has difficulty? Who cares? This has no bearing on you, your love life or women/men in general.

And this is ludicrous:

Quote:
Men get a new gf the 'flavor of the month' 2 days after their breakups

I've never once seen this, but I don't hang around 14 year olds. Must be restricted to them. A real man never does this, couldn't do it and wouldn't do it.

There are men like that. Perhaps you haven't noticed. What is interesting is how women are so very attracted to this type. Moths to a flame, I suppose.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,269,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't have a lot of facts but he describes the situation as a storm. Very descriptive. Also he changed our door lock over this.

Yeah you're right, you don't have a lot of the facts, so it's pointless speculating.

You're just borrowing someone else's situation to justify your own fear of taking a risk.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM

48,513 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
I once heard something horrible happened to someone when they left the house - so I'm never going outside again!

I heard a woman got sexually harassed at work - so I'm never going to work again!

I heard someone got cancer from breathing all the smog - I'm never going to breathe again!

See how that doesn't work?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What part makes you not want to get into a relationship?

The fact that your RM broke up with someone after 8 years?
The fact that his GF rebounded well?
The fact that he is upset with his decision?

Of course putting your heart into another person may result in heartache.
That's life.
Dissenter doesn't have to do it if he doesn't want to. Especially if it's going to result in heartache.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
What my roommate is going through.

Basically, he was engaged to be married to a girl he had been with for 8 years. A few weeks ago he calls it off due to some distress he is having. The breakup was and still is ugly. His ex-fiancé is dating another guy. He is distraught because they were together for 8 years and not even two months later she is totally into someone else, which I don't blame the guy for how he is feeling. This week in particular he is real down about the situation. It is really affecting him. He has been barely able to leave his room. He nearly lost his internship on Capitol Hill ( which requires real hard work having magic horseshoes up your to get) due to this matter because the pain of the breakup is affecting him so much.

If this is potentially what happens when you put your heart into another person, I'm not sure I even want to go there with this love thing.
Eight years sounds like they were together since high school or early college at least.

People change and grow a lot from 18 to 30ish and it's not surprising or uncommon for couples who got together so young to eventually crash and burn.

The problem is, since they didn't date others before being together so long, they have not had an opportunity prior to now to develop the kind of coping skills most others in shorter term relationship have had to.

While what they are going through is very painful for them and hard to watch for you, it's just a right of passage in the adult world. Don't fear it to the point of avoiding a chance at love! That's not the right path.

Millions of us have been there, and I know it's no fun when you are going through it, but it really can help you find a better partner and relationship in the long run.

The key is to learn how to work through all the lessons this kind of pain can bring to grow into stronger, wiser people.

Encourage your roommate to stay busy and to get very physical. A long run or serious workout will help him rid his body of a lot of the stress hormones that are contributing to him feeling so badly right now.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:31 PM

52,185 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Dissenter doesn't have to do it if he doesn't want to. Especially if it's going to result in heartache.
Dissenter is a big boy... he can speak for himself.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM

48,513 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
We're all adults. No one has to do anything if they don't want to.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
I once heard something horrible happened to someone when they left the house - so I'm never going outside again!

I heard a woman got sexually harassed at work - so I'm never going to work again!

I heard someone got cancer from breathing all the smog - I'm never going to breathe again!

BINGO!

Live life to the fullest people - it's the only life you get, don't squander it by cowering in fear!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:

Don't even go down this road. Those three things you mentioned aren't optional. Love is optional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships