Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times

Advertisements

As a general rule, those who don't want kids.... probably shouldn't have any. At least not until they (all on their own) decide that they want to have children. It shouldn't be something they're pressured to do.

Goes double for marriage, as it's primarily a construct of the valuing of what other people think of you and your relationship.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No more.
Many colleges aren't giving credit for community college classes.
It's unfortunate.
There are still plenty of colleges that give credit for cc's. There are even a few that have direct transfer relationships depending on your state/college system. It's the responsibility of the student to know this before making the decision on where to attend/transfer.

I did it, came out debt free.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
If school means religion, then yes

You're right, a lot of those people who preached that the meaning of life is to marry and procreate also condemns homosexuality, women's role (or lack there of), a host of sins no one adheres to and a laundry lsit of other things I (and most people) dont agree/live by.
Jesus didn't waste his time condemning sinners. I challenge you to read the gospel (matthew, mark, luke, and john) if you really want to broaden your horizons on what Christianity is instead of what you and many others believe it to be. But I doubt the free thinker in you has time for that...

Thread derail back on track

Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Jesus didn't waste his time condemning sinners. I challenge you to read the gospel (matthew, mark, luke, and john) if you really want to broaden your horizons on what Christianity is instead of what you and many others believe it to be. But I doubt the free thinker in you has time for that...

You brought up religion my friend. Not me.

Not that anyone sees that as a valid reason that EVERYONE should bring a life into this world simply because they were given the tools.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post

Please get back on topic. The war between "logic" and "belief" is long and pointless. You wanna start another topic to "prove" you're right? Be my guess. Let's try to keep it out of the equation.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
We're all products of our environment and I grew up seeing people make amazing sacrifices to have children. I saw people give up careers they had spent years to attain. I always wondered why they spent years working for that advanced degree and high powered career only to have three kids and spend 10 years changing poopy diapers and wiping runny noses. No more fun, no more free time, no more vacations except something kid-centric like Disney. They became so busy with the kids, they no longer had a life. The kids just took over. There was no balance. Yes, they had the kids, but from the outside looking in, it seemed like they gave up everything else.

Because I'm female, I looked mostly at the women. I think they gave up a lot more than the men. I'm not trying to marginalize their contributions... but somehow they still found time to golf and hang out with the guys. Their lives changed but not to the same extent as their wives. I also saw a lot of marriages break up once kids were brought into the mix. Suddenly their sexy hottie wasn't interesting any more. She wasn't a hardbody after three kids. And when these marriages broke up, even if the man paid dearly, he had his freedom. The women never knew another moment of freedom. Post divorce they were stuck 24/7, usually trying to be Mom and Dad.

I married a man I knew well. I had told him from the beginning I didn't want kids. I learned years later he always KNEW I would change my mind... I knew H was very selfish about his free time and doing the things HE wanted to do. I could never see him giving up his artwork, TV, and computers for Little League, homework, and bath time. He would never give up his Saturday for Karate and Soccer. I knew if we had kids, I would be doing the majority of the work at home and I would also have to work outside the home full time. I guess I'm selfish too because I never could bring myself to want to live this kind of life. H wasn't a bad guy, he was just a product of his environment. He was pretty much brought up as an only child and he was accustomed to doing as he pleased. He had no concept of how much time, effort and money it takes to raise a child.

H passed away and the man I am with now is a totally different animal. He would take joy in bathtime and coach Little League. Willingly. He would practice with the child every evening. He would help with homework. And change poopy diapers. He would do his share of kid duty to give me a little down time. He would actually want to spend time with the kids. If he and I had been together initially, I probably would have had a child, even knowing I still would have needed to work full time. Different partner, totally different relationship.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,630 times
Btw I am also christian but I dont feel others who choose not to believe need to follow anything outside of their religion. Lets not open the book for those who try to prove a belief wrong.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I've wondered that myself. I can understand a person not wanting kids because they don't have enough money or are too old but if it's because you dislike kids and are worried about it cramming your lifestyle, then that's a little bit selfish. What does it say about a person when they don't like kids? We were all kids at one point, it's ridiculous and a contradiction to dislike kids.

For getting married but not having children, some couples get married late in life so they can't have kids or some people have kids from a previous marriage.

College- I don't know why so many brought that up. Yes college is expensive but the majority of the population doesn't have a college degree anyway. So most likely your kids won't graduate college.

I want a big family myself but due to the cost of living, 3 or 4 kids would probably be ideal for me.
Having a mini-me is a lot more selfish.
You want kids because you want kids.

You want me to breed when I don't like kids?
Why do you think kids get neglected and abused?
This is one orf the most ridiculous arguments I've perhaps ever heard.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
There's nothing mind boggling about it. How can you not like kids simply because they're kids? It's not their fault. That's discrimination and ageism. However I can understand if they're spoiled and throw temper tantrums everywhere but there are adults who are the same way.

Why is it whenever a person says they don't like a certain group of people like gays or certain religious groups etc... They get bashed but it's okay to say you dislike kids?
I have nothing against children. In fact, I think they can sometimes be cute and/or hilarious. But I can't interact with them; I simply don't know how. And the kids don't like me, either! I think this video may explain why this is the case for me:

Still Face Experiment: Dr. Edward Tronick - YouTube

That blank stare is me around children. Actually that's me most of the time; I just don't change my facial expression very often, and when I do it's nothing drastic. I think that's one reason I have trouble communicating with children, but I also just don't know how to talk to them. Most people talk to children differently than the way they speak to adults, but I can't do that. So when I try to talk to a kid, I don't speak any differently than when I'm talking to an adult. Combine that with my rather expressionless face, and I imagine I come off as freaking creepy. But I can't help it; that's just the way I am.

Aside from that, I don't make much money, but I at least get to use what little I make to take care of myself. Maybe that sounds selfish, but I think it would be more selfish to bring a child into the world knowing beforehand that that child will basically live in poverty, because while I make enough to support myself comfortably, I don't make anywhere near enough to give a child a decent life. Unless I married a woman who made a LOT more than me, which doesn't seem likely.

And then there's the fact that I don't even attract women in the first place, so it's kind of pointless to even think about kids in the first place!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Btw I am also christian but I dont feel others who choose not to believe need to follow anything outside of their religion. Lets not open the book for those who try to prove a belief wrong.
I am a Christian too, coming from a very religous family and background. The thing that drove me away from practicing my religion, is realizing how close minded, descriminating and stubborn many religous people tend to be when it comes to accepting those of other religions, general life views or sexual orientations. I think spirituality is a huge part of every human being but i cannot stand close minded people and bigots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships