Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,692,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I don't think you realize that it's not anyone's place to decide. You're not in control of Life: you're in control of you. It's too late for what they shouldn't have done. These people here already exist. Telling someone what they should not have done (when they can't undo it) is not helpful.

Remember, this is a forum. People go by what we write. No one will get the idea you're happy helping these people by bashing them in a public forum, as well as describing yourself as pessimistic. Again read your posts, as opposed to getting defensive when people are commenting based on what you wrote.
If anybody is getting defensive it's you. How can I get defensive over a misunderstanding on YOUR part? You are the one so quick to link my beliefs with my deeds. You are right that they are here. That's why I help. However, I'm not telling those who have made mistakes. I'm forewarning others who haven't made the mistake.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 AM

218 posts, read 506,512 times
Marriage is not necessary. You want to spend the rest of your life with somebody? Just do it. You don't need some stupid celebration or legal recognition. Especially considering the legal and financial consequences if things don't work out.

And bringing an innocent life into this world is almost criminal.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Marriage is not necessary. You want to spend the rest of your life with somebody? Just do it. You don't need some stupid celebration or legal recognition. Especially considering the legal and financial consequences if things don't work out.

It's nice to see that someone else understands that marriage is not about love or commitment (one can love and be committed without marriage). Ultimately, marriage is about ensuring a stable environment for children so that the human race can continue to flourish. It's a way of forcing people to conform for the sake of their offspring.

All that stuff about love and a wedding celebration is just window dressing to get people to buy into it; I realized all of this a few years ago.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
It's nice to see that someone else understands that marriage is not about love or commitment (one can love and be committed without marriage). Ultimately, marriage is about ensuring a stable environment for children so that the human race can continue to flourish. It's a way of forcing people to conform for the sake of their offspring.
I agree, but I also think that has stopped being the case since divorce was legalized.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 AM

Oh, and I also find it laughable that so many people are arguing about whether having or not having kid is "selfish." EVERYTHING we do is selfish. There is no such thing as a selfless action.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Marriage is not necessary.
Of course it's not. Very little in life is actually necessary. But people still make choices based on what's personally important to them, individually. This shouldn't be something that angers others who don't opt for that choice, but for some reason, it is.

Quote:
No, it really isn't criminal, almost criminal, or anything relating to a criminal act, so long as children are not being abused or neglected. This is a prime example of the above. You could simply state that you don't find it necessary to have children, and leave it at that, since that's really all that matters. But it's apparently important to you and others who behave similarly to not simply voice your own opinion, but to cast judgment on the personal choices of others that are none of your concern. There is really just no reason to suggest that people who choose to have families are doing something wrong in doing so, just because it's not a choice you personally would make.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,526 times
Quote:

All that stuff about love and a wedding celebration is just window dressing to get people to buy into it; I realized all of this a few years ago.
Hmmm, how do you explain those who get married and never have plans to have children? There are plenty of them out there. Why did they get married?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:

Marriage is about whatever the people entering into it make it about. For some, it's their idea of what you do when you don't want to be alone. For some, it's for show. For some, it's a financial partnership. For some, it's what you do if you want to raise a family. For some, it's about making a symbolic commitment to show your personal commitment to a relationship. It's evolved, for the most part, into something different over the centuries, from a time when it was a business and/or political transaction between heads of families. But like any relationship, at this point, marriage really is whatever it means to those involved.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Marriage is about whatever the people entering into it make it about. For some, it's their idea of what you do when you don't want to be alone. For some, it's for show. For some, it's a financial partnership. For some, it's what you do if you want to raise a family. For some, it's about making a symbolic commitment to show your personal commitment to a relationship. It's evolved, for the most part, into something different over the centuries, from a time when it was a business and/or political transaction between heads of families. But like any relationship, at this point, marriage really is whatever it means to those involved.
This is spot on. Marriage is as diverse as people.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Hmmm, how do you explain those who get married and never have plans to have children? There are plenty of them out there. Why did they get married?
I honestly have no real idea. However, if I had to guess, I'd say the following are some reasons why those who don't plan on having kids get married:

-financial reasons (the one with less money will probably want to get married)
-one party believes marriage is a way of making it more difficult for the other party to leave.
-religious reasons (but usually those who are religious want kids)
-social pressure
-to hide homosexuality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.