Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,919,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
If a kid grows up working class with fewer means, the won't expect as much from their parents and will find ways to do things him/herself.
Maybe. Or maybe they'll turn to drugs and gangs to have the group atmosphere they never got from a team or club. (I teach in a low income school where I've seen this happen, and it's really, really devastating to see).

Bottom line: Every child is different, and you have to raise them differently. But I would want the resources to be able to pay for things if my child were responsible enough and grateful for such activities or educational opportunities. It's easier to just plunk that money in a retirement account instead if the kid hasn't earned fully parentally-funded college education. It's much harder to realize that the kid HAS, but not to be able to pay for it. My mother-in-law still laments to me (10 years later) that she wishes she had been able to pay for my husband's school, so he hadn't had such a rough few years right out of school paying down loans. (Luckily he married me, and since I had no debt we were able to live very modestly and pay off all his debt within a few years. It would have been really rough on his own).

Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 AM

2,624 posts, read 4,028,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Maybe. Or maybe they'll turn to drugs and gangs to have the group atmosphere they never got from a team or club. (I teach in a low income school where I've seen this happen, and it's really, really devastating to see).

Bottom line: Every child is different, and you have to raise them differently. But I would want the resources to be able to pay for things if my child were responsible enough and grateful for such activities or educational opportunities. It's easier to just plunk that money in a retirement account instead if the kid hasn't earned fully parentally-funded college education. It's much harder to realize that the kid HAS, but not to be able to pay for it. My mother-in-law still laments to me (10 years later) that she wishes she had been able to pay for my husband's school, so he hadn't had such a rough few years right out of school paying down loans. (Luckily he married me, and since I had no debt we were able to live very modestly and pay off all his debt within a few years. It would have been really rough on his own).
In retrospect, kids with money could also rebel, pick up on drugs, criminal acts and waste their life away, or not have their own jobs and live off their parents. Certain things are not limited to the poor. I guess I think it's great for a parent to do what they can. (My father helped, but I contributed also and paid everything myself when I went back to school for another degree.) That said, I think people sweat these things too much. People who say they need more money will always keep claiming they need more and more every year. The reality is that it's a never ending cylcle: they never get to a point of satisfaction until/unless they realize they should work with what they have and remembering how everything in life seems to sort itself out.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,003,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
If you are worried about the financial and social burdens of having a kid, you aren't fit to be a parent.

Wow... this. Did you actually say these words?

I just pegged your age -- early 20's or very late teens. Only the voice of youthfully ignorant "I'm terribly worldwise" would utter such tripe.

I hope I get to remind you of this when you're 30 or 40.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM

770 posts, read 1,175,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I will not diginify this with a response.
I wouldn't dignify this thread with a response, to be honest.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,717,788 times
Quote:
If you are worried about the financial and social burdens of having a kid, you aren't fit to be a parent.
Are you being serious? So parents who think about how their finances may be restricted once having kids are bad parents? Who knew that responsible individuals planning for the future are not fit to be parents, odd.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM

2,923 posts, read 5,595,358 times
getting a wife and kids strikes me as an incredibly boring and lonely life. prison-like almost. i don't know why anyone would do that to themselves. i prefer my freedom. i want to enjoy life.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,390,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I'm confused...does everyone collectively think because someone doesn't want to get married, they obviously dont believe in monogamy? Is their no other option? Like they just might not believe in the institution itself?
No. But if that's the case, it's a strong argument for choosing not to enter into a traditional marriage situation, obviously. If I had to take a stab in the dark at why people who choose to remain single choose to remain single, I'd put "Not interested in putting another person's needs before my own" ahead of "Don't like the idea of monogamy," to be honest. Based on nothing but anecdotal observation, I'm guessing the former is probably the most common.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM

289 posts, read 174,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
I wouldn't dignify this thread with a response, to be honest.
You just did.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM

629 posts, read 1,232,529 times
Quote:
Others seem to be attacking this post consistently, but I feel the message is being misinterpreted. What it looks like to me is that he is saying that a person who uses financial and social burdens as an excuse to not want children shouldn't have any. Children will undoubtedly place an added strain on a persons finance and social life. For most people there is NEVER a perfect time to have children. People have them and raise them the best they can. That's the reward some people feel is worth the experience.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 AM

26,689 posts, read 41,612,807 times
I aw the prices of medical insurance for a family when I signed up for it. THAT alone scares me off for reproducing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships