Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM

218 posts, read 506,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
+1
Capitalism really screwed up the way people use to think. It should be an honor to take care of your parents when they got old because not only are you connected to them by blood, but when they were younger, they took care of you.
Are you kidding me? It's not like anyone asks to be born, it's parents' decision to have kids and, given that life can as easily suck as it can be awesome and that feeling pain is inevitable, parents have absolutely no right to feel like their children owe them anything.

Capitalism screwed up many things, but this sure as hell isn't one of them.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:58 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
If you found the person you couldn't imagine going through life without? Just seems so foreign to me. Is it because some haven't felt that way about anyone they ever dated before? Is it a trust issue? Mommy and daddy issues? If you can see everything the world has to offer in your SO, don't you owe it to the world to bring an awesome kid into it?
I haven't read all the posts on here and don't even need to read it to know what has spinned out of control on here

Not everyone wants children, my brother, half my cousins, my best friend, just to name a few do not have children and don't want any. Not everyone wants them.

Why would anyone owe it to the world anyway, that's an odd question.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I haven't read all the posts on here and don't even need to read it to know what has spinned out of control on here

Not everyone wants children, my brother, half my cousins, my best friend, just to name a few do not have children and don't want any. Not everyone wants them.

^^^^^Oh My Gosh!!! What she said. Exactly!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
+1

Capitalism really screwed up the way people use to think. It should be an honor to take care of your parents when they got old because not only are you connected to them by blood, but when they were younger, they took care of you.

This is why I like Asian cultures, they have respect for the elderly and family comes before everything else.
I agree with you for the most part. One thing to keep in mind is how long people are living. It's not a few year commitment. My gramdmother retired around 30 years ago. She's 94 and my mom (in her 70s) has been taking care of her for some time now. At the very least people need to plan.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:

I agree completely!

I think I owe it to the world to try my hardest not to destroy it - but I definitely didn't ever feel like I owed it babies!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I agree completely!

I think I owe it to the world to try my hardest not to destroy it - but I definitely didn't ever feel like I owed it babies!
lol, well I do have children, but just don't understand why this subject is beaten to death on the forum here. I read a few pages and stopped, good grief, I've never seen so much anger, lol. I know there are militant parents and militant childfree folks, but I think most of us are just in the middle, going about our lives, and not really worrying about whether people are having kids or no kids. People ask me rude and dumb questions all the time, but I just shrug it off and don't hold any resentment for it.

But the op's question about owing the world a kid was weird.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I agree...the important thing to remember is that although this thread and the 95,000,000 others like it would indicate otherwise, most peope are actually completely rational and live-and-let live about this, versus frothing-at-the-mouth lunatics. Most people don't care whether or not you choose to marry or be a parent...they just care if you are an a$$hole and your a$$holery affects them.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Are you kidding me? It's not like anyone asks to be born, it's parents' decision to have kids and, given that life can as easily suck as it can be awesome and that feeling pain is inevitable, parents have absolutely no right to feel like their children owe them anything.

Capitalism screwed up many things, but this sure as hell isn't one of them.
I hear you, and I remember my father in his 40's still complaining that he did not ask to be born. The thing is, nobody who made it to earth as a human asked to be born, so at some point, we all need to accept the reality and just do the time.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
lol, well I do have children, but just don't understand why this subject is beaten to death on the forum here. I read a few pages and stopped, good grief, I've never seen so much anger, lol. I know there are militant parents and militant childfree folks, but I think most of us are just in the middle, going about our lives, and not really worrying about whether people are having kids or no kids. People ask me rude and dumb questions all the time, but I just shrug it off and don't hold any resentment for it.

But the op's question about owing the world a kid was weird.
I'm a mother, too - and feel the exact same way.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 PM

296 posts, read 571,643 times
I am afraid I'll have a short son. No boy deserves the torture that awaits him. I'm probably the only Asian man who would prefer to have daughters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships