Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking banking here.

I'm talking forums, FB, email, etc?

I have my own thoughts, but I wonder what you all think.

Are you comfortable with couples who have joint accounts?

Do you/Would you have a joint account with your SO?

Under what conditions?

Last edited by RedZin; 07-26-2012 at 12:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
I would never have a joint account with my husband. We have different friends, different interests, we are different people. Although he almost never goes on Facebook so maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference there. But for things like email and forums - no. Also, most of his email is work related so that would be a real pain in the butt to try to sort through all that stuff. If it works for others - that's fine with me but it's definitely not something for us.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
My wife and I have separate email and FB accounts, etc, but we share our passwords with each other. She is also familiar with this forum and a sports forum that I frequent.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
My wife and I have separate email and FB accounts, etc, but we share our passwords with each other. She is also familiar with this forum and a sports forum that I frequent.
Yeah - my husband and I know each other's passwords to everything.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Under what conditions?
We have one joint e-mail account that we use for communication with the kids teachers, schools and coaches. It saves us from having to forward communication to eachother and makes it easy for both of us to stay in the loop with our kids. We also have a calendar that is attached to that account (gmail and google calendar). We can both access that to see what is on the schedule on any given day. It just makes our lives easier.

Other than that, nothing is joint. I do have his password for his e-mail and he has mine, but it's rare that we need to access eachothers accounts. He also has a work e-mail that I don't have access to. I have a password on my phone, more to keep the kids from downloading games and messing with my settings. He'll ask to use my phone on occasion (to view work documents...his blackberry sucks in that regard) but he'd never just pick up my phone and rummage through it.

I have a FB account but I've only got a few friends on it. I don't post anything, I just use it to keep up with them. I guess if he wanted to log into it he could, there's nothing on there that's all too entertaining though.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,485 times
Having a joint account is like saying, "Hey! I'm OK with you speaking for me", and I haven't met that girl yet and probably never will.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
I would keep everything separate. A married buddy of mine keeps everything separate and he even has another account that his wife doesn't know and only a small portion of his income goes in there (just to not draw any attention).

Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Under what conditions?

I am neither "comfortable" or "uncomfortable" about other people having joint social media accounts.

Whatever works for them is fine with me.

My husband and I would never share an email acct because we each have so many different types of contacts that it would be too much to manage and important emails might slip through the cracks.

I like having separate Facebook accts because he sends me the sweetest messages there and we get to flirt back and forth with each other

One email or facebook acct might really work for people who are retired and spending all our time together though.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I would keep everything separate. A married buddy of mine keeps everything separate and he even has another account that his wife doesn't know and only a small portion of his income goes in there (just to not draw any attention).
Yeah - I would not be cool with that. Neither would my husband. That's just dishonest.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah - I would not be cool with that. Neither would my husband. That's just dishonest.
How is it dishonest? Are you against separate accounts in general? She never asked, he never lied. He has two separate sources of income. His main job has everything going into the known account. His side earnings a majority portion goes into it the account that she knows about. If I ever got married I wouldn't mind the wife having a secret account on her own. Just because I married doesn't mean I can't maintain a sense of privacy or individuality. If you wouldn't be cool with that then you definitely wouldn't be cool with the fact that he is trying to close the secret account and get a Swiss bank account (privacy laws are tighter in Switzerland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships